Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[DISCUSS]things about maps editing (.dat)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
First of all I'm not a programmer, I'm an artist.
I know how to work with UV maps and 3D models. I obviously learned the basics of C lang back in college, but i can't do much when I face korean codes xD

Reading this forum I found some threads where people were talking about how retarded these game graphics are. So I decided to take a look into these files and... they are definitely terrible.

All I could do was use Res-X editor and get some map textures.

Imma use Stones as an example (it's attached). As you can see, every shadow cast and light was made by hand using some image editor brush. In before someone asks "how can you prove that?" they are not quite accurated.

(Btw this flat texture is simply projected over terrain, that's why it looks stretched when we it's applied to tilts)

So, there's a way to make this game more realistic. You don't need a new game engine (besides it'd be a way better solution), realistic shaders or what ever. One thing we can do right now is make a realistic scene using any decent software and bake everything into one single texture.

But then we have to re-create this atmosphere inside the software.

Taking a look into Res-Map folder we can see that each map has 4 different files:
*.map - 16 pieces of terrain textures
*.sky - both day and night skies
*.cld - clouds
*.dat - Here is where i need some advices

I'm not a genius, but I'm pretty sure this *.dat file contains all the information I need to get a elevation map into a 3D model software and probally much more info like light color and intensity during day and night, etc.

I've been trying to decompress it, trying different extensions, but as i said my experience with this kind of work is really limited. But i'd like to go a bit deep into it and learn new stuff.

I also know that we have people here who had great progress working with other files, and could give me some tips about how these codes look like. I'm not beggin for tools or asking anything but some clues.

Is there any piece of *.dat file that could be used to build a dem (digital elevation map)? I can see some patterns in its code that could be coordinates, but they are too small pieces of code, maybe just a row of a table. Anyway I've failed trying to extract some info from it.

ps.: my english is terribad, but i hope you guys can understand it.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Reaction score
Re: A few things about maps

Hmm, actually half of the dat is a dem including the normals. Not exactly dem tho, cause all of x, y and z coordinates are present for each point of the terrain. Then there is an attributes map and then the objects list.

So im working on a dat editor (but i have to learn wpf for it, so im practicing on an sma editor v2). The terrain is something i can make on my own but placing objects is a really boring thing to do (done it for another game, all those "invisible" objects like sounds, lights etc were driving me crazy). Plus id need new objects. So, once ive done some more progress regarding objectinfo and ms.wok we might even work together if you can really make 3d work.

Btw, since you mentioned shaders, do you know anything about them? My knowledge on this field isnt exactly broad, but i can code a basic shader or edit an existing one ofc.

Anyway, tomorrow ill go on holidays for a week and my pc will be miles away so i dont care too much atm.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Hmm, actually half of the dat is a dem including the normals. Not exactly dem tho, cause all of x, y and z coordinates are present for each point of the terrain. Then there is an attributes map and then the objects list.

Perfect. This post made my day.

About shaders, I'm not an expert but I have some knowledge. I've never had to worry about how they actually work thought.

Reaction score

Hmm, then its unlikely you know about their assembly i suppose. Ive seen shader mods for other games and i have to admit they can REALLY change games.

Back