Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Localization and Content -Dev

Reaction score
Well, you simply have to unzip the .atm of the client and go somewhere to the end of it (i dont remember exact adress). Anyway youll notice a bunch of strings that contain the client messages somewhere. Make a list of them (easiest way is to make some c code to read them automatically) and then go and translate them one by one. Google translation would suck xD. Then like the guys said make an array with the strings and add them. And make sure to replace all references to them. And of course the translation would take ages (i tried to do it but i didnt even finish translating, the boredom was killing me).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, you simply have to unzip the .atm of the client and go somewhere to the end of it (i dont remember exact adress). Anyway youll notice a bunch of strings that contain the client messages somewhere. Make a list of them (easiest way is to make some c code to read them automatically) and then go and translate them one by one. Google translation would suck xD. Then like the guys said make an array with the strings and add them. And make sure to replace all references to them. And of course the translation would take ages (i tried to do it but i didnt even finish translating, the boredom was killing me).

Excuse me, did you say unzip the atm? Isn't the atm like an executable (as one guide even tells you to rename it to .exe)? Or by unzip do you mean decompile?

Also, I don't care how much time I take, as long as I finish it in the end. Besides, I'm not banging rocks here, I can translate it without needing Google Translator, I'm not freaking Masang xD

EDIT: As for the quests and NPC texts, I found that they are related to the files in the "localization" folder in the server, but since I heard EP 3 needs some fixes in the quests file, I'm postponing translation of those until I have time to mess with EP 3.

EDIT 2: If it's not too troubling for you, could you tell me what's the font that Masang used in the images like the map names that appear when you warp, and the big DANGER and HEAVY messages? I tried searching in font archives and in my computer fonts and although I translated the images with text, they look kinda weird because their font is different.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Quests, npc texts and everything apart from client messages are in the files, in res-tex. So i have uploaded a tool that xor decrypts quest.tex, aflist.tex and helptext.tex. Everything but those files are not encrypted so you can easily edit them. Youd better simply use res-x, unzip those files, translate and rezip using atum zipper. The fix about quests isnt too complicated nor will have anything to do with the translations, if yoou translate quest.tex and works for ep2 itll work with minimal effort for ep3. In omi you can edit the text if you open with a hex editor, the max name length is about 40 chars which is more than enough. Of course all these provided theres no client files for the language you want, otherwise simply use existing files.

As for client .atm, it is a zipped exe in upx, so you need to unzip it (thats why you cant find the strings in its unmodified version). Once youve edited it rezip it with upx if you want. Localization isnt too important, you have to understand that the server doesnt send each string to each client, it simply sends a code (which irrelevant to and unaffected by localization) at most which is then translated into one of the strings that are in the client. About the fonts, sorry but i cant help you much. You might be luckier in google (maybe something like font identifier tool). Or you can be creative and use a custom font.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Quests, npc texts and everything apart from client messages are in the files, in res-tex. So i have uploaded a tool that xor decrypts quest.tex, aflist.tex and helptext.tex. Everything but those files are not encrypted so you can easily edit them. Youd better simply use res-x, unzip those files, translate and rezip using atum zipper. The fix about quests isnt too complicated nor will have anything to do with the translations, if yoou translate quest.tex and works for ep2 itll work with minimal effort for ep3. In omi you can edit the text if you open with a hex editor, the max name length is about 40 chars which is more than enough. Of course all these provided theres no client files for the language you want, otherwise simply use existing files.

As for client .atm, it is a zipped exe in upx, so you need to unzip it (thats why you cant find the strings in its unmodified version). Once youve edited it rezip it with upx if you want. Localization isnt too important, you have to understand that the server doesnt send each string to each client, it simply sends a code (which irrelevant to and unaffected by localization) at most which is then translated into one of the strings that are in the client. About the fonts, sorry but i cant help you much. You might be luckier in google (maybe something like font identifier tool). Or you can be creative and use a custom font.

Ok, I find it strange that the server doesn't interfere with the language (the localization files aren't relevant as you said) because some people on the AR forums said that the reason why people didn't make a translation for the client and released it as a mod was because the messages were stored in the server, but nevermind, I understand it now.

As for the .atm file, upx apparently can't decompress it, I don't really know why. At least the .tex files that contain quests and whatnot I was able to open them, so thanks for that. As for the font, I searched for it extensively but I didn't manage to find it, but nevermind, maybe it's just a custom font by Masang, like for example the AR logo is a modified version of Space Age with mostly the same letters but some slight modifications. I can still use a similar font and make it look cool (or if I can find the full alphabet in the already existing images, which I doubt, I can just copy and paste the individual letters to make the translated images).

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I have one more. It's about special characters, I know that Korea, Japan, Russia, etc. have special characters so I know that AR supports them, but I would like to know if I need to modify any file to be able to use special characters (I'm referring specifically to these: á à â ã é ê ç ú í ó õ) or if AR will support them and show them properly in System Messages and quests without changing anything. I don't mind if I have to change any file, I just want to know it in advance because I know that I will need them to translate AR to my language.

Anyways, thanks a lot for all your answers, you're a great guy and know a lot about programming, I am still learning and I hope I can learn even more with guys like you. ;)

Reaction score
The .atm is checksumed so even if they knew how to edit it it wouldnt eventually work. What they posted i suppose what they thought. Besides, think logically, would the server waste bandwidth to send string? Even with common sense youd know it probably sends codes. Idk what you did wrong with upx, maybe try pe explorer. With pe explorer just open it (it automatically unpacks it) and then save it as... so that you save the unpacked exe. Anyway, about the special characters, i think they almost solely depend on the pc that runs the client. You know, windows have some localization settings for non-unicode characters, so when you set it for your language, any character that its number representation is larger than 127 (aka non-ascii) will be of the language youve set. I mean, when you use alt+shift and write text in notepad for example, if you send me this text in non-unicode i wont be able to read your text (cause my localization settings are for greek). Something similar happens here too. Theres no unicode chars as far as i know, so the way they are read depends on settings. But if you write a valid text for your lang and someone tries to read this text using your lang settings itll work ok. I hope you understood it and itll help.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The .atm is checksumed so even if they knew how to edit it it wouldnt eventually work. What they posted i suppose what they thought. Besides, think logically, would the server waste bandwidth to send string? Even with common sense youd know it probably sends codes. Idk what you did wrong with upx, maybe try pe explorer. With pe explorer just open it (it automatically unpacks it) and then save it as... so that you save the unpacked exe. Anyway, about the special characters, i think they almost solely depend on the pc that runs the client. You know, windows have some localization settings for non-unicode characters, so when you set it for your language, any character that its number representation is larger than 127 (aka non-ascii) will be of the language youve set. I mean, when you use alt+shift and write text in notepad for example, if you send me this text in non-unicode i wont be able to read your text (cause my localization settings are for greek). Something similar happens here too. Theres no unicode chars as far as i know, so the way they are read depends on settings. But if you write a valid text for your lang and someone tries to read this text using your lang settings itll work ok. I hope you understood it and itll help.

Ok, I will try with PE explorer, I can give feedback if it works or not later.

In regard to the special characters, there's still something I find rather weird. Players like for example Riita from AR play on the Korean AO (Riita does it to check for new content) and they can see the korean characters properly, even if they are not korean (Riita is from the USA, for example). And who says Korean AO also says other versions.

Besides, the Spanish AR got screwed up in the Halloween patch and the System Messages were in polish instead of spanish. From what I know, the special polish characters showed up as other characters, like for example the ł showed up as ³, so that's why I wonder if AR doesn't have some kind of a file with a character set that's usable for that localized version and I'm wondering if I don't have to make one for my localization too.

Reaction score
Idk 100% but i thik it works as i described it. Maybe riita has proper settings or the game somehow tells what settings are best. But im pretty sure theres no unicode support, hence only 256 different characters which means same char code can be many characters depending on your settings. The spanish thing might had just been a mistake about settings for example. I personally use only english clients so idk for sure, but once i tried one of another language and it didnt work with my settings.

PS: i was mistaken above, those messages i refered to as client messages are from server actually. Had almost forgot about it and i was a bit confused but i checked it and there are server messages.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
PS: i was mistaken above, those messages i refered to as client messages are from server actually. Had almost forgot about it and i was a bit confused but i checked it and there are server messages.

Oh, so does that mean the localization files in the server are actually relevant?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Localization files in server are used only for omi.tex ... Nothing less nothing more.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
About PE Explorer: it decompressed the file, however, when I open it with my C++ editing program (I use Dev-Cpp), it shows most of the file as gibberish (I suppose it's in Korean and my PC can't read the chars) with only a few lines in English.

EDIT: some of the System Message lines I found are kinda weird and I believe they are unused left-over lines. Like for example "Fame value %d will be lost due to insufficient SPI(SPI)." You don't ever lose fame in the game.

Last edited:
Back