Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Clearing up some hardware misconceptions

Retired (Goddamn idiots)
Reaction score
If you wish to start a server, you need to have a computer with a minimum six gigabytes of RAM.
Not two, not three, not four.
Why, you ask? Because you need to dedicate up to two gigabytes of RAM for the SQL Server.
The game server on it's own will hardly take more than two gigabytes of RAM.
The rest of the RAM shall be used by whichever windows revision you choose. (Windows tends to use between two to four gigabytes of RAM).

For servers with episode 3.2 and up, ODBC DSN names are not required!
You can use a VPS for your server.

As far as transfer rates go, each client uses between 5-10KB/s, depending on how much is going on in the map the player is in.
So if you wish to know how much that is in monthly usage, simply apply the following logic:
Take the maximum value of network usage (10KB/s), multiply by a maximum amount of users possible (1000), and then multiply by the average time of a month in seconds [which is roughly 28 days] (28 * 24 * 60 * 60 = 2419200), then divide by 1024 and then by 1000000, and you will get the anticipated bandwidth usage by players alone. (~23.625 TB)

If needed, more things shall be explained.
Now please, stop making hundreds of pointless threads repeating the same goddamned questions that have been answered just about the same amount of times.

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
nice dragon ty more try to mache server with pc configurate only 2 or 3 gbram ":))

nice mann realy what i can do with 16 gb ram
and quad core pc graficcard 4 gb ??????
????

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
nice dragon ty more try to mache server with pc configurate only 2 or 3 gbram ":))

nice mann realy what i can do with 16 gb ram
and quad core pc graficcard 4 gb ??????
????

Read.

If you wish to start a server, you need to have a computer with a minimum six gigabytes of RAM.
Not two, not three, not four.
Why, you ask? Because you need to dedicate up to two gigabytes of RAM for the SQL Server.
The game server on it's own will hardly take more than two gigabytes of RAM.
The rest of the RAM shall be used by whichever windows revision you choose. (Windows tends to use between two to four gigabytes of RAM).

Now please, stop making hundreds of pointless threads repeating the same goddamned questions that have been answered just about the same amount of times.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
What if I am trying to run both Server and Client on the same machine. I would need more than 6 gigs right? Will 8 be enough?

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
What if I am trying to run both Server and Client on the same machine. I would need more than 6 gigs right? Will 8 be enough?

Yes, easily. Especially when you're only testing locally. This thread estimates the peak of hardware performance required to run a full blown server with a few hundred users.

Nearly idling servers hardly take a gig of ram and the client stays at around 1-2 gigs max.

Back