Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tutorial] Run Servers locally WITHOUT using Hamachi / etc.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
Tutorial level: Beginner

All tutorials for setting up servers pretty much include setting it up using hamachi. A bunch of people try setting it up on their loopback address (127.0.0.1) and wonder why they get IOCP Init errors later on.

For some reason (I was too lazy to look it up) the Game Servers do not work on 127.0.0.1
Specially the NPC server seems to duck up there. So do not try to use 127.0.0.1 as the servers address!

You can however use your private network interface address which in most of the cases is something like 192.168.XXX.XXX or 10.X.X.X unless you are part of a Domain which is another story.

To look that address up, you can do the following:

1. Open the Console (cmd.exe)
  2. Type: "ipconfig"
  3. Look for the name of your network interface in the given list (it should say something with "Ethernet Connection" and could contain the name of your LAN)
  4. Take the "IPv4 Address"
  5. Enter that IPv4 Address in the global.cfg

The correct entry should look smth like this:
Code:
Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM blablabla):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:...
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]192.168.1.25[/COLOR][/B]
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Take the IP Address highlighted red in the example above and set it in the global.cfg file.

Code:
$LOCAL_IP_ADDR = [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]192.168.1.25[/COLOR][/B]

Now your game servers run locally and you don't need to do fancy poop with tunneling or hosting, etc.

Worth to be noted is that this address can change in certain situations. But it's unlikely. In case it changed due to changes in your network you might need to look up the address again.

Hope it helps some people fiddling with their local setup.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
By "locally" you mean that i cannot play a server which is not on the same router than me?

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
By "locally" you mean that i cannot play a server which is not on the same router than me?

Using your network interface's IP allows access from machines on the connected LAN only (including your PC ofc). If you want to access it from outside, you're not running it locally anymore. You need to look into permanent routing, probably want to buy a dedicated server or VPS at that place. This is not what this tutorial is supposed to cover. It offers an alternative to running hamachi for pure local running of the game.

Back