Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Compressing .DDS files for Loading screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I had some custom loading screens made. They are png format from the graphic artist. I found a converter to convert png to dds but it does not compress the files. How do I compress the dds files so they will actually work in game?
Thanks in advance for any info on this.

~Hunter~
Reaction score
can u post me wer loading screens at.. in wwitch PCK..??

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Use

Open the PNG file, then save it in DDS format using A8R8D8G8 format. This is the format all PWE games read.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Edit: Loading screens are in surfaces.pck

~Hunter~
Reaction score
i use paintshop but ok.. where the files for bootloader pics???:thumbup::thumbup:

~Hunter~
Reaction score
haha.. i though text from bootloader was implement in this pics.. now im gona !"§$%:grr:

wher ta hell this tips from bootloader.. hehehehe:lol:

ok for all ther also want change this look out for loading hints in configs

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I cant get them to work no Matthew what format use on the compression, what is it Im doing wrong? you said use A8R8D8G8 format and I dont even see that option in paint.net

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
When you click save as, a window will pop-up for the save location, change in the dropdown to .dds. Once that's done, ANOTHER window will pop-up. This is where you pick the format of dds it saves in.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Yeah I see that but don't see the exact format option you said in the program to choose it and I tried a couple close ones and they don't work

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Hmm, I actually don't remember saving the loading screens in that format xD That was for the PW logo on the PW login screen... JD loading screen images, just open them, edit and save in the format it gives you.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Still not working..not sure why but its not acknowledging them, just instant tps me to maps changed

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Once you have decompressed the surfaces or configs pack file, you can edit what you need to edit, then you have to compress them back and then the surfaces.pck and/or configs.pck must be in your client element folder.

I have done this same thing by making my own images in paint, then using ImageConverter Plus 8 to convert to .dds, then I compressed the surfaces.pck back but now my server says it is in maintenance try later? How do you fix this? Does the surfaces.pck file need to go up to the server somewhere too?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Use mystic thumbsnails to make all dds. psd (photoshop) and png images with a preview :) thats easy to edit whatever u want after decomprese it

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
CS3 automattically does the .dds format when you save it as such as for the free programs im not a fan so no idea there ive done tons of loading screens never had an issue.
as for re compressing the file just simply put it back in the folder and then hit the re compress file and it will put it all back in the .pck file then throw it where it belongs in the server again and technically it should work ... well we can hope lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back