Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

What if we started it back up? (And some other questions)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hey guys
I was just wondering. What if we started this whole thing back up? I know some people who might be able to help and I could do all I can to help, too.

Drift City was the best racing MMO game I've ever played. I was pissed at GameSCAMpus when they shut it down.
I got excited when I found this forum. DCPS. I never knew there was a private server for this game. But all people did who wanted it were busy begging for the files to be spoonfed to them, like mito beggars instead of atleast making the attempt to try to make it or help make it themselves, which made the development slow, due to the minimal amount of devs and the more than maximum amount of beggars.

I'm not gonna be one of them. My friends and I are gonna try to make this private server, and this is the place where most of the Drift City Private Server action is happening.

I know you guys are busy with other interesting stuff, and that's fine. I'm busy with poop too.

I'm just trying to make a private server to this game, with the free time I have

I just need some help, which is why if you look closely at the title, it says (And some other questions).

So here are (some other questions):

How was Enigma City made? Did you guys have both server and client files? If so, and you guys didn't want to run it anymore, why not share the files to anyone who wants to make their private servers? (poop community? File beggars? Files are too complicated for the average person to figure out? I just wanna know) and why isn't it running anymore (lack of people, I suppose)

Also, while Enigma City was closed, why not tell people how to make it themselves? (Lack of resources? Lack of people who aren't repetitively asking you for files? Lack of people who are not lazy?)

What else needs to be done on Rice to finish it?

Why not tell us how to connect Rice to Drift City? There are confused people in this forum who want to use Rice for their server, even though it's far from done (N1der5 and Redin4219 just wanna atleast connect Rice to DC. So what's the harm of typing out a paragraph on how to connect Rice to DC? They'we not like the other people who only come out once there's proof of someone inside of DC and asking for the files, although N1der5 has done nothing but look at the code for, what was it, months? Well, he's not begging for the files, he's begging for glasses)

I'm not trying to get on you guys, cause you guys are good people. I just need some help.

Thanks in advance

DriftyGal

(Damn. I really need to learn that I'm posting a thread, not typing up a school paper)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
not bad idea, first things first if u want to get this in order and working u will need at least a team of good skilled coders cause rice isnt even close from developed status all u can do at this moment with it is connect and enter on driver dome and nothing more if you have a dev team go get rice on github and find the drift city client and start working on it, dont wait for Cosmos to share the drift city files cause he simply dont want to do it...

good luck!:D

and if you don't have a team to develop this, dont even try it will take so much time to do it by yourself and if you are not a coder simply forget about it...

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Tks sciso.
I know Cosmos won't share the files for whatever reason, so me and my buds are gonna do this.

I just have a small question.

Would it be better to use Rice, or DCPS server files?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I got excited when I found this forum. DCPS. I never knew there was a private server for this game. But all people did who wanted it were busy begging for the files to be spoonfed to them, like mito beggars instead of atleast making the attempt to try to make it or help make it themselves, which made the development slow, due to the minimal amount of devs and the more than maximum amount of beggars.

Welcome to Ragezone :)

How was Enigma City made? Did you guys have both server and client files?

We couldn't find the exact client to match the server files so we used an incompatible client. Both the client and server were modified to be able to function together.

If so, and you guys didn't want to run it anymore, why not share the files to anyone who wants to make their private servers?
(poop community? File beggars? Files are too complicated for the average person to figure out? I just wanna know) and why isn't it running anymore (lack of people, I suppose)
yes, yes, yes
and
yes, but also because the server files are old as hell and full of SERIOUS security issues

Also, while Enigma City was closed, why not tell people how to make it themselves? (Lack of resources? Lack of people who aren't repetitively asking you for files? Lack of people who are not lazy?)
There is no point in giving all that hard work away to people who are incapable of running it any better than we did.
If people are unable to work out how to get the old server files running, they are also incapable of fixing any of the security issues that it comes with.

What else needs to be done on Rice to finish it?
A lot of things. Here's some:
  • missions
  • inventory
  • shops
  • rewards
  • character info
  • garage / cars
  • crews
  • licenses
  • friends
  • parties
  • rankings
  • coupons
  • gotcha
  • rush time
  • npcs
  • battle zone
  • delis
  • patrol
  • call signs
  • neo
Our private build of Rice has a lot more than the last public release but it's still far from even being worth running a public testing server for.

Why not tell us how to connect Rice to Drift City?
I thought I did. That's what Rice Launcher is for.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thank you so much, savetherobots.

I'll admit. I didn't read the rice launcher thread.

These are very compelling arguments that I can agree to and I guess it makes sense. Why tell people who are incapable of running it better than you guys did? That makes a lot of sense.

And thanks so much for the things that need to be done in Rice.

Is it fine if I ask what you guys have done in your private build, or do you guys wanna keep it private?

And also, what were some SERIOUS security issues? Was GameGuard a huge problem?

I am sorry if I'm asking way, way, way, way, way too many questions. I'm just trying to get enough information so I can to start.

Thank you so much

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Is it fine if I ask what you guys have done in your private build, or do you guys wanna keep it private?

While I would like to keep the build itself private, there is no harm in revealing what we've improved.
I believe since the last commit to the public version we've fleshed out the lobby system (character operations), improved the ticket/serial system including packets that need you to be authenticated, added area handling so you can move between areas like dome and cities, implemented story missions with exp/mito rewards and last time we were working on inventory stuff for mission rewards and shops.

And also, what were some SERIOUS security issues?
I started my drift city development from writing "hacks" for the game to be used on the real servers.
This was in 2012? and DCPS is from ages before that. There were some ridiculous security issues present when I started, and I've only heard horror stories of what were there in the past.
I would personally not run the server open to the public on any computer I care for the security of.

Was GameGuard a huge problem?
not at all

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Ohh so it's about that security issue. I understand.

So what if I ran the server in private, like if I had only my friends on this server. Would that be a huge security risk as well?

And btw, nice progress, man. We're still trying to decide on whether we should do Rice, or DCPS files, but to your security problems you mentioned, we might lean towards Rice.

Again, I'm very sorry if it seems like I'm asking you a lot of questions.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
So what if I ran the server in private, like if I had only my friends on this server. Would that be a huge security risk as well?
Not if you would trust your friends with teamviewer and a couple hours of free time to on your pc.

We're still trying to decide on whether we should do Rice, or DCPS files, but to your security problems you mentioned, we might lean towards Rice.
DCPS if you just want to play (on an ancient version).
Rice if you want an (incomplete) server from this decade with nothing to do on it.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
(I don't know how to quote someone, so Imma just say it)
savetherobots said he needed to add npcs to Rice.

What npcs?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks so much, savetherobots.
That's all the info I needed.

My buds didn't mind what version it was, they just wanna play. They are some of the best coders I know.

Thank you so much, guys.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I got a question.

So I read the DriftCity Client forum. At the beginning, it said "this 'howto' assures that you're capable of unpacking ASProtect on your own."

So I decided to do some research on ASProtect. I know my friends know about it, but they are not telling me about it for some shenanigans reason. So I came here.

I read that ASProtect is designed for software protection for 32bit applications.

I read and understood every feature it had. The question I have is why do we need to unpack ASProtect to work on changing the IP address in the client?
Or wait...
Do you have the option to either use ASProtect as an unpacker, or manually change it up in some programs, like Ollydbg (which I am good at)?

Sorry. I just got confused when Fyyre said this assumes that you are capable enough to unpack ASProtect.

Okay... What I'm trying to ask is do you need ASProtect?

Thanks in advance
DriftyGal

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I got a question.

So I read the DriftCity Client forum. At the beginning, it said "this 'howto' assures that you're capable of unpacking ASProtect on your own."

So I decided to do some research on ASProtect. I know my friends know about it, but they are not telling me about it for some shenanigans reason. So I came here.

I read that ASProtect is designed for software protection for 32bit applications.

I read and understood every feature it had. The question I have is why do we need to unpack ASProtect to work on changing the IP address in the client?
Or wait...
Do you have the option to either use ASProtect as an unpacker, or manually change it up in some programs, like Ollydbg (which I am good at)?

Sorry. I just got confused when Fyyre said this assumes that you are capable enough to unpack ASProtect.

Thanks in advance
DriftyGal

i think u should use DCPS files cuz they are more closer from developed status but u should be sure about it before starting anything cuz it will take some time and skills to do it the dcps its pretty flawed while rice isnt even developed yet if u can figure out the security issues like strobots said and the client issue u should be fine but if you wanna start from scratch then go rice, if i had skills and free time my pick was DCPS and it will take some good time to find the best client to mess up with, again, GL :D

EDIT: and.. the old game version is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the actual one

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I got a question.

Or wait...

Thanks in advance
DriftyGal

if you don't unpack asprotect you can't patch the ip in the client without using a connect hook
so you either write a hooking dll or unpack asprotect

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Okay. So like DriftHook, then?

Thanks for clearing that up for me, str. I got so confused.

Back