Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Account Upgraded | Title Enabled! Razer's Avatar

Rank
    True Member

[REVIEW] Minecraft Host & McMyAdmin [MCLAYER.COM]

Hello there, some of you viewing this thread may know me, but probably won't.
    I'm Slurp, a regular poster in the Minecraft section, and today I'm going to be reviewing a Minecraft specific host, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

McLayer.com base all their hosting around Minecraft, and have some nice packages that you can't argue with for the price they're at.

I have experienced (and am currently experiencing) with McLayer. Their service is great, once your payment has been processed your server is automatically set up. You receive an email including your VPS Control Panel details, FTP and SSH details, etc.

I have to admit I had some slight trouble right at the begin of the purchase, I could not connect to the server (This was probably due to things being setup, however).

Your server comes installed with McMyAdmin, an extremely easy to use control panel for your server. You can easily export permissions, either with PermissionsBukkit, PermissionsBukkit + mChat, Group Manager, bPermissions, PermissionsEX, or None.

You can choose wether your server is the Minecraft official server (no mods/plugins), Bukkit or Tekkit. The files are automatically installed, and McMyAdmin will only allow you to install the recommended builds of Bukkit, for your server's protection and security. However you can manually install Beta or Developer builds, by downloading the craftbukkit.j

ar, connecting to your FTP and going to /home/minecraft/Minecraft. You then replace the craftbukkit.jar in the folder with your downloaded Beta/Developer build you would like to update to.

McMyAdmin has a really nice, and customizable interface. Here's what McMyAdmin looks like, yours will differ as mine is customized, and you can do so by clicking the Configuration tab.

FROM HERE AND BELOW IS A SLIGHT OVERVIEW OF MCMYADMIN.

As you can see from the screenshot, you can view your RAM and CPU usage easily from the Status menu.

Clicking the Console menu shall bring up a console, (hence the name) allowing you to monitor your logs, broadcast messages from the console or send commands such as /op Username.

Under Users and Groups you can simply add groups, such as VIP, add permissions to specific groups, and add users. To do so simple look in the section you want to add something new to, scroll down and there shall be a text box. Enter the group name, permission node or username and click the plus sign. This shall automatically add whatever you intended to add.

Now there's one more section I shall show you, although there are others there I shall not.
    The Configuration tab. The configuration can allow you to do pretty much anything to your server, including change your MOTD (Message of the day) which is the message that shows below your server, in game on the server selection list. You can also install plugins automatically! Here's a screenshot of the Configuration tab.

See there are various tabs, such as server settings and game settings.
    Game settings will allow you to disable/enable Mobs/NPCs, change your server game mode (Survival/Creative), and even more.

NOW TO REVIEW A LITTLE MORE ON THE HOST ITSELF (MCLAYER).
    McLayer is considerably fast, however installing a lot of plugins will decrease your playing speed, depending on your package choice. I am on a just over 1.5GB RAM package, and just having me online uses over 20% of that RAM, caused by many plugins installed.

They gurantee 99.5/99.9% uptime, and if you are not satisfied with your server or package, they have a 5 day money back policy.

I can say I have had a small amount of trouble connecting to my server, but that was due to an issue in the Minecraft servers, and not the host. Since the general Minecraft server issue was fixed, I've had no trouble whatsoever. I've only played my server with 4 people on at once, and I can say it does not lag a bit, only slightly, but that's my computer being an ass.

If you are to buy from anyone, I can say buy from McLayer.
    Their automatic setup is a +, and they accept PayPal.

If you have or will use McLayer, be sure to give me feedback on what you thought of them or this review.
    It's like a curse. A part of who I am. I can't control it.

2. # ADS
    HyperFilter
    RaGEZONE Sponsor

Rank
      Sponsor  

Rank

Re: [REVIEW] Minecraft Host & McMyAdmin [MCLAYER.COM]

Nice review, But i think it is a rip off host, It charges well over what the price should be.

There multicraft prices aren't bad, and multicraft is better.
    OH SHIT, ABANDON SPAMZILLA!

Account Upgraded | Title Enabled! Razer's Avatar

Rank
    True Member

Quote Originally Posted by Borderlands View Post
    Nice review, But i think it is a rip off host, It charges well over what the price should be.

There multicraft prices aren't bad, and multicraft is better.
    Cheers, didn't realize I had written so much.
    Their prices are a tad exensive, but I think it's alright for what you get.
    My next review shall be [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    It's like a curse. A part of who I am. I can't control it.

Rank

Yeah,

Vouch for the review
    OH SHIT, ABANDON SPAMZILLA!