Sounds cool, but why win98?
This is a discussion on Install windows 98 on PS3 within the PS3 Tutorials forums, part of the PS3 Jailbreak category; Ok I made a detailed tutorial on how to install windows 98 on PS3 so anyone can follow it... You ...
Ok I made a detailed tutorial on how to install windows 98 on PS3 so anyone can follow it...
You must have :
i. A Keyboard
ii. A Pc
iii. A PS3 with CFW or jailbroken with a dongle.
iv. DosBox (download this if you have PS3 with CFW OR this if you have PS3 jailbroken with a dongle)
v. ComgenieAwesomeFilemanager (download this if you have PS3 with GeoHotz CFW OR this if you have PS3 jailbroken with a dongle or with any other CFW)
vi. This pack with windows 98
Install DosBox and ComgenieAwesomeFilemanager :
- Put the DosBox and the ComgenieAwesomeFilemanager file, you downloaded above, in the root of a usb flash drive.
- Now extract the WIN98 folder that is in the w98 (windows 98) package (you downloaded above) in the use flash too.
- Then connect the usb flash to your PS3 go to "Instal Package Files" and install all the packages.
- Go to Games and open ComgenieAwesomeFilemanager.
- At the first screen open the "dev_hdd0" drive then the "game" folder now the "HBDB90000" folder and the "USRDIR" folder (dev_hdd0/game/HBDB90000/USRDIR).
- Now go to the second screen and open the dev_usbx (x is the number of the flash drive you connected. But it doesn't metter you should have only one dev_usb drive if you have only your usb connected to the PS3) and hightlight the WIN98 folder (don't open the folder).
- Press the "O" button to copy the folder.
- Exit from the ComgenieAwesomeFilemanager
Install Windows 98 :
- Connect a keyboard to PS3
- Go to games and open DosBox
- Then write these commands:
- Now you are ready to run windows 98. Just type the following command and you are done :Code:1st command : mount c ~/ 2nd command : c: 3rd command : cd WIN98 4th command : imgmount a w98.img
That's all!!! You have windows 98 on your PS3 now!!!Code:boot w98.img
If you have any question ask here...
Tutorial By Man007
Sounds cool, but why win98?
Whats the point of doing that anyways?
Not sure why you'd want to put win98 on it but a nice tutorial nonetheless.
You were born original, don't die a copy.
Because the PS3 lacks the power to run any other operating system windows wise, you are able to easily install variants of debian on the Ps3 as well using similar methods
I rather put a linux kernel on there then Windows 98 lets not forget...
‪Windows 98 Blue screen of death‬‏ - YouTube
Nice i guess but why use?
Doesn't work. I'll try again.
so try to do some researches on running operation system on ps3 ~
if you are trying on the new updates it may not work or they made an update that not letting you doing it like before .
best is to do some researches again on this topic :) .
URL doesn't work. I thought I have seen XP on PS3s before? I think it was emulation within a linux kernal but ah well.
And even if you would install it, the OS would probably be slow as hell.
The reason why it must be a windows 98 is probably because the PS3 only has 256 MB Ram, even windows XP requires more if you want to run anything other than the OS itself on the machine
Not doing this, XP will run slow in a PS3.