Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

The broadcast IPV4 [in config] isn't what it seems!

Reaction score
Guys. This is a fair warning to all of you. Something is up with the broadcast IPV4 needed in the configs. I am not 100% sure yet what needs to go in there, but it's not your WAN IP ending in .255.

I had my stuff configured supposedly correctly... WAN IP's in the correct spots, broadcast send IPs set to my WAN IP, but the last 3 digits changed to 255.
[ex. if my WAN ip was 123.45.67.89, then my broadcast send IP would be 123.45.67.255, like tutorials and such say to set it as]

But... I just got a DDOS report from my dedicated server host.

My machine was DDOSing the IP set as my broadcast IP (ending in .255, the rest same as my original IP)...

I shut down my Iris server and changed the broadcast's but now I am not sure exactly what is needed to be in there for it to work correctly. I have tried 255.255.255.255, 0.0.0.0, and another IP on my system. None seem to let the login server load up fully. Does anyone have any ideas?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
One moment while I check this for you. I was able to recreate your find, I will do further testing with this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The point he is making is that it is "trying" to connect to something on that x.x.x.255 port. He is basically DDOSing himself because of it.

I was not DDOSing myself. I was ddosing the IP ending in .255, which was on a completely different server/website then my own [Part of xat.com to be exact]. It had nothing to do with my server.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Ok after some further testing, its just spamming on a UDP port for each process, 15000, 15002, and 15004. Rather strange behavior, but as a simple solution for you till I sort out its perpose, change the broadcast to an internal ip address. That will stop your DDOS spam.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I was not DDOSing myself. I was ddosing the IP ending in .255, which was on a completely different server/website then my own [Part of xat.com to be exact]. It had nothing to do with my server.

Sorry I had assumed you owned your IP block :).

Reaction score
Ok so I learned more about broadcast IP's and IPV4 and such.

Basically, you need to use your main IP [i.e. the one used for GS1+Agent+Login]'s broadcast IP.

To get it, go here:

Use the Network/Node Calculator.
Enter in your main IP and it's subnet [should be 255.255.255.0 for most servers].
That'll return your broadcast IP.

The problem is I had the broadcast IP [what it should have been] set up correctly, but it must be something odd/different for my server. So I am contacting my host now.

UPDATE: Ok, I now have a portable block of IPs that include a broadcast IP. The server loads up fine as long as the broadcast IP is set correctly [the broadcast IP only works with IPs in its block]. The problem is that after setting it up, on both a 16 and 8 block of portable IPs, when using the broadcast IP I get, DM spams 5 minutes INSTANTLY.

This tells me that the broadcast send IP is the source of the battlefield spam issue - at least if it is spamming instantly at startup.

Do these files only like it when you have a full block of 255 IPs, and thus your broadcast IP ends in .255? If so, that's insane! That's 255USD / month, and for some places, more...

Any help/insight on this broadcast send IP is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back