Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Iris gPototo client working partially.

Reaction score
When I posted my thanks to tidie 10 for the server setup a couple days ago, I mentioned I was working with the Iris gPotato US version to get it working. I have partial success and wanted to share what I have in case anyone else is working on this too and it would be helpful to them.
Basically, I can bypass the GameGuard stuff and get to the login screen. The login screen doesn't have the numberpad - I'm not sure if this is something I did with my gg bypass or if the screen was redesigned ( it's been a while since I actually played on gPotato servers ), or if I just need to change the login sql ( a guess ) since AuraKingdom has you sign in, then takes you to the numberpad, I suspect that is what would happen here too.
I found and downloaded 2 versions of the gPotato client.

One was - this is version 1.18.22612. The short instructions to get that one work are to load up a hex editor and change the following positions.

Code:
Change 1.
0047DC1C 48 90 E9 25 01 00 00 90

Change 2.
0047E37A 48 90 EB

Change 3.
0047C655 C7 41 10 55 07 00 00 EB 

Change 4
0047C669 C7 42 18 00 00 00 00 EB 05 40 48 40 48 90

This will allow you to get to the login screen if the server is running - it does take a little while to load, I let gg load into memory because I'm not sure how often it references the code. I haven't gotten past that so I can't verify gg is completely bypassed. GG was checking memory locations for specific values, so I changed the program to put those values in those locations, otherwise the changes would have been shorter, this may have been overkill on my part. If someone is interested in a detailed description of what I did, I can post that later with pictures. I don't consider myself done though and just wanted to share what I had in case it would help someone else. Once I have it working, I'll post a complete tutorial on what I did.

The 2nd one I downloaded was - this is version 1.19.23720 I haven't gotten as far on this one, but it's the one I have loaded in my VM and am working on now. It still gets to the login screen, but you may have to cancel the connecting/downloading button for GameGuard, and it loads all the gg stuff after you close the client ( file list, web page, etc...rather annoying ). For this one, I just changed

*EDIT* I realized after uninstalling the old version from my VM, and reinstalling the new one, I had missed a few GameGuard checks. SoftIce will save previous changes. Bascially the way I found them was to use BPLOAD GameGuard, then P RET 9 times ( the 8th time gets you back in IrisClient, the last at the checks, then I just hit PF10 - jump over till I got to the check for 0755.

Code:
488e6c 74 to eb
488e7e 74 to eb
488e91 74 to eb - wasn't necessary for me, but it's still one of the checks.

239eb9 74 to eb
00239EB9 EB - it was originally 74.

Sorry for the confusion.
*End EDIT *

In both of these, GameGuard checked for a compare to 0755. In the first one, it compared it to a memory location [ECX+10], in the second, it compared it to EAX. This seems to be the gg magic number, at least for this game. 74 is JZ, EB is JMP, so in the second one, I just bypassed that check and it was enough to get to the login screen. I thought it was weird the later version was that much easier, but it was. 40, 48 is just inc eax, dec eax. I did that rather than put in a bunch of NOPs in case GG checked for NOPs. The gg settings I found while I was doing this are:

NAME=IrisUS
UPDATE_SERVER=nprotect.download.iris.gpotato.com
UPDATE_PATH=/RealServer/
BACKUP_SERVER=
BACKUP_PATH=
OPTION_VALUE=0
SPEEDCHECK_INTERVAL=1000
GAMECRC=1
USE_GGSCAN=1
SENDERRLOG=3
LIMIT_TYAVPDOWN=10
CHECK_GAMEBLOCK=1

I think the speedcheck interval is the reason it takes so long to load the main screen. I haven't messed with adding the update server to my hosts file, but I may try that to see if I can get to the login screen faster.
Anyway, like I said I hope this helps someone, and I'll post the complete solution when I am able to get logged in to my server. Not sure when that will be, it took me 2 weeks to get the server up and running with single IP addresses for all the dungeons because the server side of it is all new to me.

Last edited:
Back