Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question about the illgality

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Im sitting here since 1 hour and trieing to solve my problem on my own. But i cant really find an awnser to my question.
Well, many server were beeing closed from nexon. Are there special reasons for this?
So, is hosting a server only illegal if im editing the wz files, or offering donates?

Am i "safe" if there are no donations and no wz editing on the server?

Greetings and thanks

Reaction score
Creating or receiving a server is already illegal. Nexon does this because they are all copyright to the game. But today no one opens a server to receive "donations", this has become kind of a way to make money. Nexon will not waste time with your server, unless you start to affect their pocket nexon.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Don't distribute copyrighted materials by Nexon whatsoever.

Examples:
1. If you have a rankings page in your website - DON'T allow it to display characters and their equipment. The MapleStory graphics are artworks which are copyrighted by Nexon.
2. DON'T use the name MapleStory anywhere in your website, especially not for advertising.
3. DON'T re-host the game files on your servers. Provide a download link from Nexon's CDN.
4. DON'T distribute a modified game client. Instead, provide a patching utility or an IP redirection tool which doesn't use code that is copyrighted by Nexon.

However:
.WZ file edits are completely legal if you provide a patching utility that adds whatever you want into the .WZ files. Make sure that the patching utility DOES NOT add materials that are copyrighted by Nexon.
If your patching utility adds materials that are copyrighted by you, it's fine.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Unless you are an server with a lot of players(like Aries), I don't think they will bother going after you.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, Whats about translating the game into a new engine? The XML's arent under the copyright or not?

So atleast, the game would look exactly the same, but it would be a "new" game.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So, there is no way to host an server, without getting maybe sued?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, okey. Looks like a complicated thing. Hosted a server years ago. Never thougt about something like that.
A few years older there are many thoughts over this. But i think there is no solution to do this safely.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
other than having customized every single image file in the game files, that includes every frame of every skill, every button while theyre pressed, a mouse is over them, and even when theyre disabled. EVERYTHING! And not JUST changing the colour, even though that could still theoretically work >-<

Upvote 0
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Pirated Maplestory servers are not a new thing for a long time. They are treated differently by both the players and Nexon itself. They go there for various reasons: some are unsatisfied with the current content, and others — are subscription prices. Someone wants to go back to the past and shake the old days. Someone wants to touch history.

Here you need to understand the main thing - games are also protected by copyright. Therefore, you may have problems with the law if you earn money on a pirate server.

I recently called a law firm on this issue myself. Here is the link . Call them, and you can believe they are professionals in their field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back