Why do so few servers use MyBB as a forum?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ModeratorRank
    Jan 2010 Join Date
    DEV CityLocation
    2,958Posts

Re: Why do so few servers use MyBB as a forum?

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Quote Originally Posted by eshays View Post
    Because it is not free it is theft and there are no updates.

Gold SubscriberRank
    Apr 2009 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    1,119Posts

It's a good question. I mean xenforo/vB can be pretty hot, but so can MyBB be these days when used right.

I'm using it for my upcoming server right now and I'm pretty satisfied with what MyBB can do.

~ will reply to pm's ~
    ~ . ~

MemberRank
    Jan 2016 Join Date
    36Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Novak View Post
    It's a good question. I mean xenforo/vB can be pretty hot, but so can MyBB be these days when used right.

I'm using it for my upcoming server right now and I'm pretty satisfied with what MyBB can do.

Exactly! MyBB just seems so much more unique when you use it right compared to the simple layout of most XenForo forums.
    MyBB Forum developer
    WebDev/Admin for IntrinsicMS

Gold SubscriberRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    Kerning PQLocation
    988Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    vB isn't bad, though I must admit never had any admin experience on it.

MyBB just seems so much easier to make 'unique'. Every XenForo forum I've been to (private server wise) simply looks like a dull reskin...
    Although I personally prefer vB and IPB, you should note that merely looking at vB's code will get you cancer, or a panic attach at least.
    Also the Admin panel UI is horrendous, I've never seen anything that look as bad as this one, not even my 2011/2012 web designs!!!!!!!
    But overall, the UI of the templates is mostly awesome, easy to edit (easy to make skins/completely new templates, I've done it one my first try without even looking at the docs), functional-wise it's one of the best out there, yet really outdated (iirc it still supports PHP 4 or something, PHP 7 has been officially released already).

kod vb veri radoactiv
    Last edited by Snopboy; 18-02-16 at 02:16 PM.
    PHP<3
    Looking for PHP developers for code reviews, PM me

Gold SubscriberRank
    Apr 2009 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    1,119Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingslime View Post
    Although I personally prefer vB and IPB, you should note that merely looking at vB's code will get you cancer, or a panic attach at least.
    Also the Admin panel UI is horrendous, I've never seen anything that look as bad as this one, not even my 2011/2012 web designs!!!!!!!
    But overall, the UI of the templates is mostly awesome, easy to edit (easy to make skins/completely new templates, I've done it one my first try without even looking at the docs), functional-wise it's one of the best out there, yet really outdated (iirc it still supports PHP 4 or something, PHP 7 has been officially released already).
    True. I took an extra 45minutes to completely redo the admin control panel as well. The default UI is just horrible. But I can cope with ugly behind the scenes code if shit looks good and works. And it's free..
    ~ will reply to pm's ~
    ~ . ~

True MemberRank
    Aug 2008 Join Date
    FinlandLocation
    705Posts

If I was to create a server right now, I would most likely use either xenForo or IPB, mainly because I own a license for both. Using a free forum software that you don't have dedicated support team for just doesn't seem like a good idea if you have these other options. If I did not own a license for a paid forum software, I would most likely use MyBB.

Paid softwares also have constant updates to them, while free softwares are updated much slower, in most cases at least. I love seeing the software evolve and gain new features, which you really don't see that much in free ones.

MemberRank
    Dec 2013 Join Date
    104Posts

I'm using mybb right now. Since its free and gets the job done, which honestly is all that's needed
    Owner of IntrinsicMS, the Story Within.

I am looking for KMST 1.2.477 setup/skill.wz. I'm willing to pay small fee for it

True MemberRank
    May 2007 Join Date
    RukongaiLocation
    661Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    Generally as a forum, most server's I've seen use XenForo, while there's nothing wrong with this, I'm just wondering, why not MyBB?
    People want stupid shit into the forums like special badges and stuff that works without addons/mods and some people think it's more nice to have "good looking" forum, because people thinks "Oh, they have a license. This project is serious."

Like 97% of the RaGEZONE user servers are down due lacking skill on development or just getting bored or simply they're getting some messages from lawyer. I don't even believe in this site anymore. Just looking around what people are doing nowadays.

MemberRank
    Feb 2017 Join Date
    54Posts

mybb free to use beside there's alot you can add on to the forum that was starting forum for new server recommended as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Advertisement