Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Design]MapleOcean?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I don't even know. I'm quite new to photoshop and web designing so this may be sh!t. I spent about a couple of hours trying to get this to work so criticism is welcomed :) I'm hoping to learn HTML, CSS as well as PHP by the end of next month, Well at least the basics. This is my first time ever attempting a portal web design!

Here's a quick story. I'm trying to save up $ to visit someone important on the other side of the country so I am pretty much doing something I enjoyed looking at. Web Designs.... I don't want to brag on about this so heres what it looks likes.

Thank you all so much for reading <3

pandah1 - [Design]MapleOcean? - RaGEZONE Forums

Update #2
- hid the left and right character images
- added new characters. Top left and bottom right
- Removed blur from text 'website' & 'forums'
- lowered size font of copyright.

Should I make the background image lighter and not not too dark?

pandah1 - [Design]MapleOcean? - RaGEZONE Forums

Last Update. I give upp! :/

Last edited:
Reaction score
You have a lot to learn and improve though for a newbie it looks great!

Two small point:
A. Try removing the blur effect on the button's text.
B. Try resizing the copyright text, it's too big.

By the way, mind sending me this background? It might come handy for my projects.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I think it would look better without the characters in the background, looks pretty good nonetheless.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Two small point:
A. Try removing the blur effect on the button's text.
B. Try resizing the copyright text, it's too big.

By the way, mind sending me this background? It might come handy for my projects.

Yeah I know. It's my first time. I did what you suggested and I guess it look's slightly better. I was trying to create the effect where when the "WEBSITE" button was clicked it faded colour. That's why I made one Text lighter then the other.

Umm, I don't really want to give any of my work out at this stage. Sorry.

Reaction score
What's going on with the social icons? Make 'em straight.
Also, get rid of the copyright. Nobody gives two shits that you threw together a few images to create a portal, and putting the Nexon notice doesn't mean anything either. Totally ruins the aesthetics.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
What's going on with the social icons? Make 'em straight.
Also, get rid of the copyright. Nobody gives two shits that you threw together a few images to create a portal, and putting the Nexon notice doesn't mean anything either. Totally ruins the aesthetics.

I just thought it'll be nicer the way they are.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think you gave it a nice attempt, I mean greenelf mentioned that the social icons should be straight, i do agree that it being slanted it a bit unusual, but its a WIP and each design should be unique in its own ways. So if you like it that way then by all means keep it. The size of the social icons are fine i suppose since its just a portal screen.

Just a few pointers which you could take into consideration:

- The logo can definitely be enhanced to be more appealing, i believe since you've used this dark shade of blue in most places the logo is kinda.. dry xD Little effects can make it look nicer but again depends on the (Type) of desing you're going for.

- I think you've used a Maplestory 2 background? XD Its either that.. or minecraft -.- (nah just kidding) but yeah i think you kinda get what i mean by everything blending in too much? Maybe a bit of contrast will help lighten it.

- The main thing is the images, you've reduced them in your second revision but it's still awkward. If you want to use images i'd suggest having them in an appropriate and not random position. I would usually align them horizontally, or like for example having them come out of the container if you get what i mean? Rather than floating.

SnopBoy

The background can be found in Zaytrex's OMG collection in the releases section, but here i uploaded that background if you dont have it still;

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I think it would look better without the characters in the background, looks pretty good nonetheless.

I totally agree with this, as it was my first thought too.
Are those some MapleStory2 characters mixed in with the chibi MapleStory1 character logos?

Besides that, I do appreciate the MapleStory2 background. The button, & layout designs are looking beautiful for a simple portal. Keep at it!
Update2: Any reason why the xenon's transparency is different from the rest?
You should think about maybe putting something more game play related then the Cannoneer, as not everyone likes that class, and not every server supports it. How's the rest of the site looking? Do you have any other pages or is this just a PSD file at this point?

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Last Update. I give upp! :/

I dont think you should give up XD To be honest the last update made it already look better. Although dont be afraid to experiment more yourself, yes you should listen to any CnC but still try little changes and see if it makes it look better or worse in your eyes; only takes a few secs for minor changes. Thats how design works.
Although there's a limit to how much you can put in a portal but its looking nicer now. Ill try tweaking it a little and see how it goes and post an update just for a little ideas.

Update; Well its been a while since I touched PS thoroughly but heres idk changes maybe better maybe worse but again its all about innovation. Changes such as different fonts (Although i usually dont like to go to Lobster but for demonstration purposes why not), more suitable image stances, box effects etc.. You kinda get what i mean but here just took a few mins to do so.

//Note to self..stop gaming, more designing cuz i suck now OTL

Last edited:
Back