[ALPHA] stormcaster-vue, a Vuejs client for stormcaster

True MemberRank
    Jul 2011 Join Date
    1,330Posts

[ALPHA] stormcaster-vue, a Vuejs client for stormcaster

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

If you haven't read the API thread, please do so you have some idea of what I'm talking about!

After about a year break of developing anything MS related, I finished up the stormcaster API (as much as I wanted to, anyway), to the point where client apps could be built to consume the API. Simply put, stormcaster produces a RESTful API which allows client apps to request information such as rankings, online count, and send data to create users, login users, etc. By doing so, the frontend can be fully encapsulated from the backend logic.

This release is for a VueJS webapp, that consumes a stormcaster API. If you don't know what VueJS is, I recommend you skim through their website here. The gist is that VueJS is a view library, that uses the idea of reuseable components to build single page applications. This is my first time using something like VueJS, so you may notice that this demo isn't super polished. Most noticeably, there is no application state retained between pages, which results in the webapp requesting API information over and over again, which isn't ideal. As I continue learning, this issue will be fixed.

Anyway, here's a live demo that you can use to register for an account, login, and view news/events/etc. See how quickly pages "feel" compared to regular websites. That's the future for ya! Note that this is primarly a technical demo, the design can easily be
    switched
    because this webapp takes advantage of templating. A really cool aspect of writing frontend apps is that they are static applications. This means that all of the javascript gets compiled into a HTML website, which can be hosted practically anywhere, for free!

In the future, I will push an update that will allow the public to create administrator accounts (for demonstration purposes only). If you would like to play around with the source locally, I encourage you to download the source code at https://github.com/greenelfx/stormcaster-vue. Note that you must first setup stormcaster API before using the VueJS app. Finally, I encourage you all to create other 3rd party clients for stormcaster. Since the API is platform agnostic, you can use anything from jQuery, to Angular, to C#.

Enjoy!

(demo url: stormcaster-vue
    (note that if nobody has visited the webapp in some time, Heroku will take some time to "spin up." This does not reflect on the performance of either stormcaster-api or stormcaster-vue)

GammaRank
    Apr 2008 Join Date
    4,817Posts

Re: [ALPHA] stormcaster-vue, a Vuejs client for stormcaster

looks legit. very fluent to use! and very interesting read, thank you for sharing and good luck :)

True MemberRank
    Sep 2008 Join Date
    1,095Posts

I played around with AngularJS 1 before and had issues with SEO and using a custom OAuth 2.0 provider, does Vue.js suffer from the same issue (pre-rendering is annoying and I don't like it, btw)?
    I moved over to React for the site I'm working on because it supports SSR well, and I think Angular 2 does too. Though I have issues with how React wants me to style stuff since it uses JSX and not being a front-end guy makes it even harder for me due to my limited knowledge of CSS.

I was already in the middle of thinking about moving over to React until Laravel 5.3 bundled Vue.js with it and that threw me in for a loop lol.

True MemberRank
    Jul 2011 Join Date
    1,330Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fraysa View Post
    looks legit. very fluent to use! and very interesting read, thank you for sharing and good luck :)
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by maplefreak26 View Post
    I played around with AngularJS 1 before and had issues with SEO and using a custom OAuth 2.0 provider, does Vue.js suffer from the same issue (pre-rendering is annoying and I don't like it, btw)?
    I moved over to React for the site I'm working on because it supports SSR well, and I think Angular 2 does too. Though I have issues with how React wants me to style stuff since it uses JSX and not being a front-end guy makes it even harder for me due to my limited knowledge of CSS.

I was already in the middle of thinking about moving over to React until Laravel 5.3 bundled Vue.js with it and that threw me in for a loop lol.
    Yes, Vue will also require SSR for SEO. I also started off learning React and then switched over to Vue, just because the templating language was more HTML/Mustache-like, so I was more comfortable with it. I haven't gotten around to looking at SSR/prerendering yet, still trying to get a good handle on the fundamentals. As for authentication, this app uses JWT, which is really just a matter of storing a token in localStorage. I haven't tried using any OAuth providers within Vue yet, but I imagine it'd be a very similar process as Angular2/React.

PS: If you have React experience, you should definitely try making a stormcaster client!

Advertisement