[BETA] MapleBitCMS

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35373839404142434445
Results 661 to 674 of 674
  1. #661
    very green greenelfx is offline
    True MemberRank
    Jul 2011 Join Date
    1,322Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    [BETA] MapleBitCMS
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpAceX View Post
    Why not just work on an actual Stormcaster front-end? I don't know what features you already have working with your back end but isn't this a duplication of work? Either way, cool to see Laravel being used to update a still-popular project.
    Great question! The tldr; of the answer is, I've learned a lot in the last couple years, and Laravel has gotten significantly better alongside me :)
    For a bit more context - I think stormcaster had a lot of good ideas, and was generally well executed for where I was at as a developer four years ago. It's stateless, utilized JWT, implicit model binding and a bunch of other Laravel Things to make the code succinct and generally easy to understand. My main issues with stormcaster today includes:
    - JWT is not great or ideal for session authentication for a variety of reasons. With L7.x, we now have the Sanctum package which makes token based authentication a first class citizen within Laravel. Upgrading stormcaster to 7.x just to ditch JWT is not trivial or worth it.
    - stormcaster is not well tested. There's a lot of holes in the tests, and I wasn't comfortable picking up an old codebase without complete test coverage. I'm attempting to maintain 100% (or near 100%) coverage for controllers and model logic to fix this issue, should I drop this project again for a bit
    - lack of documentation. with v2, swagger specs are self-documenting and makes it easier for me (or others) to understand available endpoints and develop frontends.

    In general though, Laravel is Laravel, and at the view layer there hasn't been a ton of breaking changes in the last few years. This is great because I can just copy and paste (as I have in some spots) the methods and bits of code I still like today, so there isn't a ton of duplication in the "business" logic - I'm mainly just rewriting the core of the app.

    Lastly, my goals for v2 are a bit different than stormcaster. The main distinction is that I want to render a frontend within the same Laravel app (instead of just being an API), making it just as easy to setup and get running as it is with MapleBit v1. If I had to guess, people use MapleBit purely because it's incredibly easy to download and run anywhere, and ideally v2 should be the same. hope this answers your question!

    PS: I'm just kind of developing this stuff for fun, I don't really care if it's never completed. Having a well paying job as a developer means that I just write code in my free time when I'm bored and want to explore new ideas - this is my outlet for some of that energy :D (I don't really care to make any money out of MS now or in the future). I've also considered just writing this in my lang of choice rather than PHP, but to be honest, Laravel is such a delightful experience to write web apps with!

    -----------------------
    added some react views today:
    https://i.imgur.com/bvJivVb.png
    Last edited by greenelfx; 17-07-20 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #662
    Interesting... SharpAceX is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    2,008Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by greenelfx View Post
    Great question! The tldr; of the answer is, I've learned a lot in the last couple years, and Laravel has gotten significantly better alongside me :)
    For a bit more context - I think stormcaster had a lot of good ideas, and was generally well executed for where I was at as a developer four years ago. It's stateless, utilized JWT, implicit model binding and a bunch of other Laravel Things to make the code succinct and generally easy to understand. My main issues with stormcaster today includes:
    - JWT is not great or ideal for session authentication for a variety of reasons. With L7.x, we now have the Sanctum package which makes token based authentication a first class citizen within Laravel. Upgrading stormcaster to 7.x just to ditch JWT is not trivial or worth it.
    - stormcaster is not well tested. There's a lot of holes in the tests, and I wasn't comfortable picking up an old codebase without complete test coverage. I'm attempting to maintain 100% (or near 100%) coverage for controllers and model logic to fix this issue, should I drop this project again for a bit
    - lack of documentation. with v2, swagger specs are self-documenting and makes it easier for me (or others) to understand available endpoints and develop frontends.

    In general though, Laravel is Laravel, and at the view layer there hasn't been a ton of breaking changes in the last few years. This is great because I can just copy and paste (as I have in some spots) the methods and bits of code I still like today, so there isn't a ton of duplication in the "business" logic - I'm mainly just rewriting the core of the app.

    Lastly, my goals for v2 are a bit different than stormcaster. The main distinction is that I want to render a frontend within the same Laravel app (instead of just being an API), making it just as easy to setup and get running as it is with MapleBit v1. If I had to guess, people use MapleBit purely because it's incredibly easy to download and run anywhere, and ideally v2 should be the same. hope this answers your question!

    PS: I'm just kind of developing this stuff for fun, I don't really care if it's never completed. Having a well paying job as a developer means that I just write code in my free time when I'm bored and want to explore new ideas - this is my outlet for some of that energy :D (I don't really care to make any money out of MS now or in the future). I've also considered just writing this in my lang of choice rather than PHP, but to be honest, Laravel is such a delightful experience to write web apps with!
    That's awesome to hear. While I'm obviously more of a front-end guy, I'm sure I can learn a thing or two by following your developments on v2. Good luck!
    https://mapleme.me/
    The memes of the Maple community all in one place.

  3. #663
    very green greenelfx is offline
    True MemberRank
    Jul 2011 Join Date
    1,322Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    had some free time to work on this this weekend, here's where I'm at for v2: https://i.imgur.com/8JPTQ4F.mp4
    doesn't look like much :D, but has some stuff going on under the hood like:
    - boilerplate code to handle authentication
    - boilerplate code to handle routing (and active links in the nav, finally)
    - making (authed or not) api calls
    - templating to match MapleBit v1
    - exposing backend yaml config values to the frontend

    if you wanna give it a spin, check out https://maplebit.herokuapp.com. Lots of UI-niceties are missing of course. working on getting all the boilerplate/bootstrapping work out of the way, then will think about making UX better. Also, code quality on the frontend isn't great admittedly, but again, just focusing on getting all the tedious work out of the way then will get things a bit more organized and cleaned up.

    If you're interested in contributing (lol, unlikely, I know), feel free to shoot me a DM or submit a PR!

  4. #664
    Registered arn0ldinyo is offline
    MemberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by greenelfx View Post
    had some free time to work on this this weekend, here's where I'm at for v2: https://i.imgur.com/8JPTQ4F.mp4
    doesn't look like much :D, but has some stuff going on under the hood like:
    - boilerplate code to handle authentication
    - boilerplate code to handle routing (and active links in the nav, finally)
    - making (authed or not) api calls
    - templating to match MapleBit v1
    - exposing backend yaml config values to the frontend

    if you wanna give it a spin, check out https://maplebit.herokuapp.com. Lots of UI-niceties are missing of course. working on getting all the boilerplate/bootstrapping work out of the way, then will think about making UX better. Also, code quality on the frontend isn't great admittedly, but again, just focusing on getting all the tedious work out of the way then will get things a bit more organized and cleaned up.

    If you're interested in contributing (lol, unlikely, I know), feel free to shoot me a DM or submit a PR!
    I tried to run this version on Linux CentOs 7 and it shows blank screen while running the site or forbidden access than I looked into index.php and it doesn't have ?> end for the PHP file. Check that please on latest github version.

  5. #665
    Interesting... SharpAceX is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    2,008Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by arn0ldinyo View Post
    I tried to run this version on Linux CentOs 7 and it shows blank screen while running the site or forbidden access than I looked into index.php and it doesn't have ?> end for the PHP file. Check that please on latest github version.
    The ?> at the end of the PHP file is optional.

    https://www.php.net/manual/en/langua...separation.php

    EDIT: Got it working just fine, so can confirm the code is fine.
    Last edited by SharpAceX; 19-07-20 at 11:35 PM.
    https://mapleme.me/
    The memes of the Maple community all in one place.

  6. #666
    very green greenelfx is offline
    True MemberRank
    Jul 2011 Join Date
    1,322Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by arn0ldinyo View Post
    I tried to run this version on Linux CentOs 7 and it shows blank screen while running the site or forbidden access than I looked into index.php and it doesn't have ?> end for the PHP file. Check that please on latest github version.
    Did you install dependencies with composer? In any case, v2 isn't ready for general consumption yet

  7. #667
    Interesting... SharpAceX is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    2,008Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by greenelfx View Post
    Did you install dependencies with composer? In any case, v2 isn't ready for general consumption yet
    Wouldn't hurt to have a very basic installation guide, at the very least with the bare minimum commands required to set it up. I obviously knew about composer but I get the feeling unless you work with PHP a lot, you might not even know what it is, much less that you need it. Could save you from people asking similar questions in the future.
    https://mapleme.me/
    The memes of the Maple community all in one place.

  8. #668
    very green greenelfx is offline
    True MemberRank
    Jul 2011 Join Date
    1,322Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpAceX View Post
    Wouldn't hurt to have a very basic installation guide, at the very least with the bare minimum commands required to set it up. I obviously knew about composer but I get the feeling unless you work with PHP a lot, you might not even know what it is, much less that you need it. Could save you from people asking similar questions in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by arn0ldinyo View Post
    I tried to run this version on Linux CentOs 7 and it shows blank screen while running the site or forbidden access than I looked into index.php and it doesn't have ?> end for the PHP file. Check that please on latest github version.
    Fair, I wasn't expecting folks to try out v2 this early! I've added a readme that guides manual installation: https://github.com/greenelfx/MapleBit/blob/v2/README.md

  9. #669
    Registered arn0ldinyo is offline
    MemberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    I did all you said and found the following


  10. #670
    Interesting... SharpAceX is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    2,008Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by arn0ldinyo View Post
    I did all you said and found the following

    Why are you even trying to run this in the first place, especially if you clearly have zero technical skills or abilities? This isn't even close to being ready for production use. If you're this helpless and are unable to do basic Google searches, you're probably out of luck
    https://mapleme.me/
    The memes of the Maple community all in one place.

  11. #671
    Registered arn0ldinyo is offline
    MemberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    15Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpAceX View Post
    Why are you even trying to run this in the first place, especially if you clearly have zero technical skills or abilities? This isn't even close to being ready for production use. If you're this helpless and are unable to do basic Google searches, you're probably out of luck
    W.E man, older version works for me.

  12. #672
    Interesting... SharpAceX is offline
    Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    2,008Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by arn0ldinyo View Post
    W.E man, older version works for me.
    No shit, almost like the old version has been production-ready for years, and the new one is under heavy development right now. Sorry to hear you don't have the minimum brain cells necessary to run this new version.
    https://mapleme.me/
    The memes of the Maple community all in one place.

  13. #673
    Member Slasher86 is offline
    MemberRank
    Jan 2009 Join Date
    30Posts

    thumbs down Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpAceX View Post
    No shit, almost like the old version has been production-ready for years, and the new one is under heavy development right now. Sorry to hear you don't have the minimum brain cells necessary to run this new version.
    Be nice.

  14. #674
    Newbie KayZee is offline
    MemberRank
    Oct 2020 Join Date
    3Posts

    Re: [BETA] MapleBitCMS

    Having a problem where after typing in id n password, pressed login and nothing happened, but after press F5 ( refresh ) im logged inanyone got similar issue?



Advertisement