Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Web [TUT] Don't want to buy a Trac/SVN hosting? Here's how you can set up your OWN one.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
Self Trac/SVN Hosting
Before I move on, I would like to say that this is my first guide/tutorial on Ragezone. Any comments/criticisms are highly welcomed. It'd been a fuss for me since most of the Prvate Trac/SVN Hosting out there are paid ones. Most of them only provide free private SVN Hosting itself. So, basically how do you create your own one?

Overview
What is Trac and SVN?
Trac is an open source, web-based project management and bug-tracking tool. Apache Subversion (formerly called Subversion , command name svn) is a revision control system founded in 2000.

What can you do with this?
Basically, you can either install this on your own computer, where only you can use, or on a dedicated/VPS Server.

Here are some scenarios where this could be done after researching on it:
  • Manually installing Apache/Wamp and integrate SVN and Trac with it
  • Using an easy tool: VisualSVN

In this tutorial, I will choose the second method, by using the VisualSVN as it is much more easier to be used.

You will need to download the following:
  • (Optional)

Steps:
Upon launching the installer, this is what you will see:

AuroX - [TUT] Don't want to buy a Trac/SVN hosting? Here's how you can set up your OWN one. - RaGEZONE Forums

Select "VisualSVN Server and Management Console"

* The "Management Console Only" is used to monitor the server which is hosted on another computer.
For example, you installed "VisualSVN Server and Management Console" on VPS(A). You would want some staffs/friends to help you to manage your SVN Server. What you can do is ask them to install the "Management Console" on their computer so that they can connect to your SVN Server.

Next, this is what you will see:
AuroX - [TUT] Don't want to buy a Trac/SVN hosting? Here's how you can set up your OWN one. - RaGEZONE Forums

Repositories: This is where your SVN Revision database will be stored. I suggest you to leave this as default, so that you can install the Trac easily.
Server Port: Untick the "Use secure connection (https://)". Only tick that if you know what you're doing. Basically, you need to get a SSL certificate if you want to use it. Its up to you. As for the port, I suggest you to change it to a port which you would like, make sure that it does not clash with your MapleStory ports, MySQL Ports(3306) and Apache Port(8080)
Authentication: Select "Use Subversion Authentication" - You can create multiple users with this

After you've installed, open up the VisualSVN Server Console.

Here, you will need to create your User account first. Right click on Users, select "Create Users...", enter the required credentials. If you want to create more, you can do so.

Next, you will need to create your repository. Right click on Repositories, select "Create new repository".
Eg: Let say I create a new repository called "MapleStory".

Once you've created one, right click on your "MapleStory" repository, and select "Properties...". Here, you can add or remove the user permissions. Select your user and grant the access. If you're making it private, please make sure to set the "Everyone" Group to "No-Access" OR remove it from the list.

Now, your SVN is already set up.

Let say my port is 9090 and my repository name is "MapleStory". Then you can view your SVN here:

You're not done yet! Next, you will need to set up your TRAC Server.

Once you've downloaded "VisualSVN-Server-2.5.2.27089-Trac-0.12.2.zip", unzip it to your VisualSVN Server folder where you installed the program. (Shown below)

Then, click and follow steps 7 to 16.

Some guidelines:
  • %VISUALSVN_SERVER%- Your installation path (Default: C://Program Files/VisualSVN Server/)
  • How to execute the commands? Open up Command Prompt (Start->Run->cmd). Then path the current directory to your trac path. (Eg: cd C:\\Program Files\\VisualSVN Server\\trac) ->
    Shown here

Then, for all the steps, do not type "%VISUALSVN_SERVER%trac\trac-admin.bat". Just path it to the trac directory and type "trac-admin.bat" (Without the quotes)

For eg, step 9, after you've pathed, just do
    Code:
    trac-admin.bat C:\Trac\MapleStory initenv
    Then, press enter for all of them, Leave the db settings as default.

Step 10
    Code:
    trac-admin.bat c:\Trac\MapleStory repository add MapleStory C:\Repositories\MapleStory svn

Step 11 (Right Click project->Properties->Add to post-commit hook)
    Code:
    @"%VISUALSVN_SERVER%trac\trac-admin.bat" C:\Trac\MyProject changeset added "%1" "%2"

Step 12 (Right Click project->Properties->Add to post-revision property change)
    Code:
    @"%VISUALSVN_SERVER%trac\trac-admin.bat" C:\Trac\MyProject changeset modified "%1" "%2"

Remember to change the MyProject for step 11 and 12.
  • As for step 13, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environmental Variables.

Press New-> Type in PYTHONHOME for the Variable name and C:\Program Files\VisualSVN Server\trac\python for the Variable Value.

Do not add a \ behind the python folder or it will end you up to an Internal System Error.

• Then, for step 14, open up conf\httpd-custom.conf and paste this there. Remember to save.
    Code:
    LoadModule python_module "trac/python/mod_python_so.pyd"
    LoadModule authz_user_module bin/mod_authz_user.so
    <Location /trac>
      SetHandler mod_python
      PythonInterpreter main_interpreter
      PythonHandler trac.web.modpython_frontend
      PythonOption TracEnvParentDir C:\Trac
      PythonOption TracUriRoot /trac

AuthName "Trac"
      AuthType Basic
      AuthBasicProvider file
      AuthUserFile "C:/Repositories/htpasswd"

Require valid-user
    </Location>

Your trac is now done. .

Now, you will need to grant the TRAC_ADMIN privileges.
Path to the trac folder as shown above and type this
Code:
trac-admin.bat C:\Trac\MapleStory permission add admin TRAC_ADMIN
Change the "admin" to your User that you've set up through VisualSVN Server Console.

NOTE: Username and Passwords are case-sensitive.

If you're hosting this on a dedicated server/VPS server, you can just do this
Code:
http://[B]IP[/B]:[B]PORT[/B]/svn
or if you've a domain,
Code:
http://www.[B]mydomain[/B].com:[B]PORT[/B]/svn

What if I have several IPs on a server?

Change the Server Binding settings and add in the IP you want the SVN/Trac Server to Bind to.

Here's the end result:

Last edited:
butt > Tits
Reaction score
Ouch I feel bad nobody has posted a reply yet lol.

Very useful release. Definitely worth it since it really not worth it using public SVN's when you're trying to do something which shouldn't be public and still need that SVN.

Thanks =].

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Good tutorial Jay. You need to make more :p

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
Unfuddle.com lol, free private subversion with trac.

凸(ಠ益ಠ)凸
Reaction score
this should be released as an over all release, good to know.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
trac not found!! any clue ?

ok fixed!

restart the visualsvn server! ^^ thanks

how do i put it in my website ?

what should i do ??

Back