Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Linux Password doesn't work/show? READ ME

Reaction score
Ok; for the record. LINUX does NOT show ANY visual confirmation that it has received any input from you when it is prompting for a (log-in) password. It is NOT like Windblows, it does not show "*" or anything else for that matter. So... no, it is not froze, broken or anything else of the like (think of it as an added security feature). When you first boot up your linux box/image type in a valid user name (which you will see); then when it prompts for the password SLOWLY / ACCURATELY type in the password and then press enter. Again you will not have ANY visual confirmation what so ever that the system received any of your keystrokes. So long as you type it accurately the system will then successfully boot up for you.

Any (other) further threads or posts on this issue (outside of this thread) will be deleted as it has been un-necessarily brought up 1,000,000+ times!

Black Magic Development
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: PASSWORD does not doesn't work / can not cannot input

Thats only true for the shell of every single UNIX based system on the planet, including OS X

If for whatever reason you install a GUI on a system, I know Gnome KDE and Xfce all at least have the option to show or hide the dots for the password

and yes, I do like the fact that it doesnt show any visual response to the password

The origin was back when UNIX was popular on mainframes and had to have many people operating them and they didnt want people to be able to look over their shoulder and see how long the password is so that they could guess it

Reaction score

you would probably be surprised at how many people come here, download a PW server, then come back here asking for help/complaining that they "cannot login, because they can't put the password in"

... it's un-real :rofl:

Nerd-IO
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Rofl, why some ppl trying to make a private server with poor knowledge in computer...

This is the true question...

Reaction score

Rofl, why some ppl trying to make a private server with poor knowledge in computer...

This is the true question...

I dont think poor knowledge is the main problem here. I think its more related to the way people go about things. People dont seek out the information they require on their own.

I myself was and still am fairly new to linux and other things. I however am a tinkerer (learn through trial and error) and dont like asking for help if I can help it. As a result I havent had any many problems adapting to linux and now use Xubuntu as my OS on my PC. I still have my Windows partition and use it for my server and running apps that I cant get running in WINE.

Im not saying that you shouldnt ask for help. Im saying that people should at least try to do things themselves and learn how to search effectively. The internet is a vast knowledge base of billions of people. Learn from them. You can find nearly anything on the internet if you learn to search effectively.

"Seek and you shall find" - quote from SEEK jobsearch lol

/Wall of text

Reaction score

I could not possibly agree more with Drakaer than I already do... These people obviously had to search to find a private PW server,,, yet they cannot search out something as simple as the fact that Linux doesn't show a visual confirmation of keystrokes when prompted for a password, or the basics of computer networking :\

Seriously,,, come on people!

Last edited:
PW Dev <3
Reaction score

yeah this is important. nubs ask "OMG WHY MY LINUX BROKE ME CANT TAPE POASWARD"

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I place into my login: root in my password: 12345, which was the password that I put in the hour that I have created and configured my ubuntu, but when I type my password (12345), nothing appears. But always the error on login, always.

Someone give me a detailed help?

Back