Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] What to expect in GunZ 2

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you do NOT want spoilers, please turn away from this thread.

Okay so after guessing my key for the closed beta I played for quite a few days and here is my review about the game and what to really expect when it reaches North America in December on steam.

1. If you are GunZ 1 player and hope that there is SOME kind of relation to GunZ 1 with GunZ 2, You may wanna start looking for GunZ 1 private servers because there is no way this game is any similar.

2. If your looking for K~Styling or any kind of styling in GunZ 2, there is none, there will probably never be one what so ever. However they did make a pretty good system on how it works, I still find it fun, but it will never be as good as GunZ 1 on how it was.

3. Items are class restricted, meaning if you wanna play an Assassin class aka silent avenger or some crap., you will have SMG's, Katana, and a Sniper Rifle. That is it. No assault rifles, no shotguns, no nothing. If you want to be a shotgunner and a gernade launcher, go to the female class (gun slinger I believe it is called, i don't play it).

-------------------------------------------

Okay so now playing this game, there is 3 modes. 1, Campaign which is your quest matches. 2, Auto-Match which i'm assuming its a random game finder. 3, Custom Matches which is your Matchmaking regular game room games like GunZ 1.

Campaign mode:

The campaign mode is REALLY fun actually. If anyone has played warframe, it is quite like that. You go in, you defend of AI's, go through the maps and do objects whether its go to point A to B, Sabotage equipment, Place Bombs, or Boss matches. The boss matches have really good gameplay to where the bosses will do certain things at certain times and you have to look for a right moment to attack.

Overall I like these, but so far I could solo all of them, but it was on very easy difficulty too.

Custom Matches:

Here is the problem with GunZ 2. How many of you don't have the greatest internet when playing GunZ 1? Remember having those issues with people who have a better ping to you so by default their attacks land more than yours will? Your bullets always missing and them always getting a direct hit because of their ping is way better? Well in GunZ 2, I'd have to say it is actually WORSE. I went in a room with someone who had a TERRIBLE ping, I used a full clip of an SMG and a few rounds of a sniper rifle and not a SINGLE bullet hit. When I play with my friends, My friend from the UK (which the servers are in the UK.) Has a better ping so his snipers land right on me and I die a lot. Now my friend from Urugay, his internet is crap so he says:

"its like the future, When I see your foot, I die, and somtimes when I shoot at you, I shoot to the air to the right of your head and get a head shot, so its like you see the future of what I do."

The skills in this game can get pretty cheap too. Seeing as there is no animation cancelling, I got to a point where I used my sword and knocked someone down, then used my special skill that auto one shots anyone who goes near you in that range, and It missed, then he got up and used his special and I died. It can be REALLY cheap, and say if there is 4 people in a croweded area and someone specials into that, They all die and someone gets a QUADDDDdddd.

The heavy class in this game seems to me that its the most OVER POWERED class in this game. Their weapons hit through the walls, They do so much damage really fast, Their special skills for their shield can range from like a damn mile alway from where your standing and still hit you. They have a lot of HP, and they sometimes don't get stunned by swords when you go at them (not that it is a smart idea to go after a heavy with a sword). This class imo needs to be nerfed or the game will be over ran by heavies because they are too over powered.

Dashing in the game is awful, It has that delay after you stop dashing which makes it kinda pointless to dash.

Their is NO animation killing. meaning that if you get caught in a combo, you need to wait it out before you can move or dodge out of the way, not like gunz 1 where you can press shift in the middle of a combo and it will kill the animations and the next step making it so you are mobile again and have time to dodge and block.

The gun slinger mace imo is too short in range.

The maps are pretty good actually I do like them a lot, but if your looking for that nostalgia feel, it's not quite as good as the original gunz 1 maps... but hey! at least it looks prettier right???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over all for the most part, If you miss the K~Styling and miss the old gunz play style and wish to continue that, my suggestion is to stick with GunZ 1, GunZ 1 will always be a better game.

However if you'd like something new, and try to imagine that the game is NOT a sequel for GunZ 1, then I'm pretty sure over-all you will enjoy your time regardless playing this game anyway. It's very decently fun, I enjoy it, but i still prefer GunZ 1 over GunZ 2.

DRGunZ 2 Creator
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Items are class restricted through the item xml (Don't remember which one that is right now) it's an easy fix on a private server.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is what you should have expected. I mean, if you want GunZ1's gameplay you can keep playing GunZ1. GunZ2 is simply a reboot with a completely different gameplay

GunZ1 is a game of skill, where the raw skill and speed of the player counts the most.
GunZ2 is all about strategy and knowing how to counter classes and (maybe) a little aim.

I enjoy both in different ways. GunZ1 is for 1v1 competitive play, GunZ2 is play4fun or team competitive play

Anyways, I wanted to edit some GunZ2 CBT footage, but then I made this, LOL

Staff member
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the animations in the Campaign mode failed sometimes, like explosions where you could count the pixels, also in the lobby where you can see your character i've seen some bad animations that were not really good. But maybe they will fix these things.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the animations in the Campaign mode failed sometimes, like explosions where you could count the pixels, also in the lobby where you can see your character i've seen some bad animations that were not really good. But maybe they will fix these things.

Those are minor issues, I mean, it doesn't affect the smoothness of the gameplay.
I've found far worse bugs, for example the Shield Trooper sometimes gets stuck, like frozen, when you manage to pull off conflicting animations or something.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think GunZ 2 has way more space to grow big as a competetive game.
It also looks like maiet and other companies are putting way more effort in this game and actually try to gain feedback from the community.

The way of moving around isn't even that different to me from GunZ 1. Its pretty much the same style, just easier.
Only thing that bugs me the most is the dashes not being as fluent as GunZ 1 and sword fighting is now the first who slashes wins.

Needs development and some tweaks, but could become a cool game.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think GunZ 2 has way more space to grow big as a competetive game.
It also looks like maiet and other companies are putting way more effort in this game and actually try to gain feedback from the community.

The way of moving around isn't even that different to me from GunZ 1. Its pretty much the same style, just easier.
Only thing that bugs me the most is the dashes not being as fluent as GunZ 1 and sword fighting is now the first who slashes wins.

Needs development and some tweaks, but could become a cool game.

Anything that is fashonable to casual gamers can go competitive nowadays, even CoD did.
The thing is, GunZ2's gameplay would be rather boring in competitive play because of the low skillcap. It's mostly strategy and some luck. It would have been nicer if they made something with a very high skillcap such as Quake 3 Arena or Warsow, which would be amazing to watch and play in competitive, but I guess GunZ2 is still great as a play4fun game. Also the campaign is very enjoyable.

Staff member
Reaction score
Well yea the community is better then before, they are even hiring people for support and the forums, also it was pretty fun at gamescom how they introduced GunZ 2. I think GunZ 2 has a nice future as long they listen to all feedback and dont go Pay2Win, also their Anti-hack should be better, i've already seen 2 hackers in closed beta..

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Anything that is fashonable to casual gamers can go competitive nowadays, even CoD did.
The thing is, GunZ2's gameplay would be rather boring in competitive play because of the low skillcap. It's mostly strategy and some luck. It would have been nicer if they made something with a very high skillcap such as Quake 3 Arena or Warsow, which would be amazing to watch and play in competitive, but I guess GunZ2 is still great as a play4fun game. Also the campaign is very enjoyable.

CoD is one of the best shooters ever made and wasn't even that casual in the time that it was really competetive (talking about CoD2 and CoD4). Nowadays CoD is barely competetitive. They changed it to camp in the corner of the map, wait for people to pass by and shoot them to obtain killstreak bonusses so you can end the game.

Also i agree that the current skillcap is pretty low, but thats just because of sword fighting not being implemented properly and movement could also use some tweaks. Atleast its WAY more strategic then gunz 1 and the gunz 1 skillcap was way too high.

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't see how people can say there is no relation between GunZ 1 and GunZ 2. GunZ 2 is the perfect sequel if GunZ 1 would not have had the animation glitches discovered. If GunZ 1 was played as it was meant to be played on creation, GunZ 2 would be similar indeed.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't see how people can say there is no relation between GunZ 1 and GunZ 2. GunZ 2 is the perfect sequel if GunZ 1 would not have had the animation glitches discovered. If GunZ 1 was played as it was meant to be played on creation, GunZ 2 would be similar indeed.

I highly disagree as GunZ 2 is trying to incorporate stuff from GunZ 1 k-style and those glitches into GunZ 2. Guntrix even said that himself. GunZ 2 still is the perfect sequel, its just needing more some more development to fine-tune combat.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Gunz 1 without k-style would have been nothing more than an average low skill game with nothing special and I would have never gotten interested in the game.

CoD is one of the best shooters ever made and wasn't even that casual in the time that it was really competetive (talking about CoD2 and CoD4). Nowadays CoD is barely competetitive. They changed it to camp in the corner of the map, wait for people to pass by and shoot them to obtain killstreak bonusses so you can end the game.

Also i agree that the current skillcap is pretty low, but thats just because of sword fighting not being implemented properly and movement could also use some tweaks. Atleast its WAY more strategic then gunz 1 and the gunz 1 skillcap was way too high.

I'm not saying CoD is not competitive, I'm saying that even in a balanced game, CoD has a low skillcap. You don't need extreme aiming skills like in quake because you're moving very slowly. Also you don't need consistent aim because you die in basically a burst of the enemy's rifle. So it's all about seeing the enemy and shooting him first. 100% strategy (more like 50% luck 50% strategy). Also there is no map control as there are no health / weapon pickups. So there are a lot less things to master in CoD compared to other competitive games.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm not saying CoD is not competitive, I'm saying that even in a balanced game, CoD has a low skillcap. You don't need extreme aiming skills like in quake because you're moving very slowly. Also you don't need consistent aim because you die in basically a burst of the enemy's rifle. So it's all about seeing the enemy and shooting him first. 100% strategy (more like 50% luck 50% strategy). Also there is no map control as there are no health / weapon pickups. So there are a lot less things to master in CoD compared to other competitive games.

Of course strategy takes a big part in that game, in any modern warfare games. But the first one shooting will never get the kill if he is not able to hit his shots. I can play as many 1v1's as i want in CoD against my nephew (former pro player), but he will still beat the crap out of me even if i shoot him first. But i see what you are trying to say though.

The thing i think is ridiculous at this moment is the swordfighting. The first person who puts out slashes on the other wins, talking about low skillcap.

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I highly disagree as GunZ 2 is trying to incorporate stuff from GunZ 1 k-style and those glitches into GunZ 2. Guntrix even said that himself. GunZ 2 still is the perfect sequel, its just needing more some more development to fine-tune combat.

Idc what Guntrix says, you cant purposely add glitches into a game, it would destroy the term of "glitch".

Can they take some aspects of Gunz and try and add them as features, sure, but you can't just recreate something like k style in Gunz 2

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Idc what Guntrix says, you cant purposely add glitches into a game, it would destroy the term of "glitch".

Can they take some aspects of Gunz and try and add them as features, sure, but you can't just recreate something like k style in Gunz 2

Oh yeah, because its so hard for them to incorporate action and reaction.
K-style being a glitch in GunZ 1 doesn't mean you can't incorporate the same movement and fighting style into a new game.
Where it happened in GunZ 1 by mistake, they can add it into GunZ 2 on purpose.

I'm not saying they are doing a good job at it, but it sure is possible.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Oh yeah, because its so hard for them to incorporate action and reaction.
K-style being a glitch in GunZ 1 doesn't mean you can't incorporate the same movement and fighting style into a new game.
Where it happened in GunZ 1 by mistake, they can add it into GunZ 2 on purpose.

I'm not saying they are doing a good job at it, but it sure is possible.

Another GunZ1 would be pointless. GunZ1 is perfect already for its kind of gameplay especially on servers where donor items are balanced. GunZ2 is a different, play4fun, kind of game.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Another GunZ1 would be pointless. GunZ1 is perfect already for its kind of gameplay especially on servers where donor items are balanced. GunZ2 is a different, play4fun, kind of game.

GunZ 2 is a follow-up of GunZ 1, not the same but it focusses on the same kind of gameplay.

Or just wait for people to penis around in gunz 2 and discovering new glitches/styles.
Knowing maiet, it will be just as glitchy as gunz 1 ...

I hope they learned from their 2903123210 mistakes on GunZ 1.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
GunZ 2 is a follow-up of GunZ 1, not the same but it focusses on the same kind of gameplay.

I hope they learned from their 2903123210 mistakes on GunZ 1.

Nah, the gameplay is completely different. Gunz2 is like mostly strategy, a little skill and some luck. And most of the time you can't defeat strategy with raw skill.
GunZ1 was about skill, and you could beat skill with strategy but you could also beat strategy with skill.
Even if properly tweaked, GunZ2 is a completely different concept. I'll keep playing both, GunZ 2 is more like a play4fun game.

Back