Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

WZ Custom Map.wz Background?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Im trying to make a custom map for v83 in Koolk's Map Editor but I cant find where I can upload my own background image. Looking for religion 's help or anybody elses lol thank you:love:

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Put it in map.wz->back using harepacker/wzexplorer then just load it like you would any other background in map editor.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Pretty much this, but depending on the version of maplestory you are using there are different steps.

What version are you using ?

v83. I would like to add custom maps (you know, maps with a Background from an image file). I would also like to add newer maps from v160 GMS. :)

Reaction score
Newer maps are easier. Just make sure you in all the components in that map. Obj, tile, BG, mobs, NPCs, reactors.

As for v83 backgrounds, it is very simple. If you look in the map.wz, and open the background node. Just look in any background to see what you need. Now in the background you will see multiple nodes, you know how some is just a background, others are a background with moving trees and stuff. Those would be in there. Sorta like objects in the background. You can. Add your own as well. Then just find the main BG picture and replace it with yours. I would give you the exact nodes name but I just got to work and away from my laptop. This is just a point in the right direction, I'll post on here when I get the chance if you haven't figured it out.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Newer maps are easier. Just make sure you in all the components in that map. Obj, tile, BG, mobs, NPCs, reactors.

As for v83 backgrounds, it is very simple. If you look in the map.wz, and open the background node. Just look in any background to see what you need. Now in the background you will see multiple nodes, you know how some is just a background, others are a background with moving trees and stuff. Those would be in there. Sorta like objects in the background. You can. Add your own as well. Then just find the main BG picture and replace it with yours. I would give you the exact nodes name but I just got to work and away from my laptop. This is just a point in the right direction, I'll post on here when I get the chance if you haven't figured it out.

Alright, so I got to the point where I made my own WzImage and nodes and subproperties. But, in other maps, there are "origin" and "z" nodes. What exactly do I do with them on my own custom BG? Also, if I want to be basic and for my first try just put 1 background image, which node should I use? I'm using #1 atm. Heres where I'm at.

mollypockets - Custom Map.wz Background? - RaGEZONE Forums

PS: that isjust an jpeg image from google. I understood what you said about different parts going to different nodes (like objects and the trees that move in the bg) but that's not what i did here. Just trying a simple IMG.

Reaction score
Well, depending on how big the map is, I say find a similar background the same size of your custom one, since the "origin" is always different in every map I believe. Just put x0y0 for now, make sure it is a WzVectorProperty.

As for "z" just make the WzCompressedIntProperty and make the field have a 0.

Also, change the "1" to a "0" otherwise you will DC and the client will not read the background. It always starts at 0.

So it should look something like this.

gjllsSJ - Custom Map.wz Background? - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, depending on how big the map is, I say find a similar background the same size of your custom one, since the "origin" is always different in every map I believe. Just put x0y0 for now, make sure it is a WzVectorProperty.

Also, change the "1" to a "0" otherwise you will DC and the client will not read the background. It always starts at 0.

Okay let me just say thanks for being extremely helpful lol.

Okay so I have the background in XML's and WZ. Now, how do I make a Map with an ID of the background and how do I put that map ID in my WZ and server XML's?

Nevermind. I still need help with first part, and possibly might need help getting new maps to work.

Okay let me just say thanks for being extremely helpful lol.

Okay so I have the background in XML's and WZ. Now, how do I make a Map with an ID of the background and how do I put that map ID in my WZ and server XML's?

Nevermind. I still need help with first part, and possibly might need help getting new maps to work.

Hello again. So I tried getting New v161 maps to work.
This is hard to explain over here but i'll do my best.

Basically, I took the map ID i wanted, the objects, tiles, NPC's, and imported those WZ's into a v83 Map.wz, then Imported those as XML into my server files. Now here's what went wrong; When warping to the map I added, only half of the map loads, then I DC instantly with an Invalid Pointer error. This is what I see:

As you can see, only half the map loads. It first seemed to me like the NPC's were DC'ing me, but I added the NPC's and even removed them from the XML's and still not fixed. Also, it seems like Objects aren't loading. There should be houses infront of the BG images.

If you could help it would be great. I'm actually really learning through this.

The map I'm trying to add is Arboren - Stump Town. (http://maplearchive.com/map-wp.php?id=866000000)

Thanks once again!

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what shows when you dc. Anytime you DC in an invalid map, it will always show the background.

1) Did you import the XML's into your Map.wz as Classic?
1a) Did you export the XML's that go into your server files as Private Server?

2) Background Music: Did you add in the BGM into the Sound.wz?

3) Did you add the right NPC's into the NPC.wz?
3a) When adding NPC's, you need to add in the correct String into the String.wz (Not required, but preferred.)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what shows when you dc. Anytime you DC in an invalid map, it will always show the background.

1) Did you import the XML's into your Map.wz as Classic?
1a) Did you export the XML's that go into your server files as Private Server?

2) Background Music: Did you add in the BGM into the Sound.wz?

3) Did you add the right NPC's into the NPC.wz?
3a) When adding NPC's, you need to add in the correct String into the String.wz (Not required, but preferred.)

I added the XML's into Map.Wz as classic, saved, and imported the Private Server XML's into server files.
Background music, I changed the BGM to Bgm00/FloralLife, so I don't think thats DCing me.

And NPCs, yes I imported the NPC's and they work ( I spawn them elsewhere). String works with the NPC's too.

Thanks !

Now I get
after redoing NPC.wz (I found out I messed up and didn't import all of them.)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Do you have your wz files open when you are launching the server? Or is that what you get when you enter the map?

I DC and get the error when I enter the map. So nah, map.wz isn't in use.

Do you have your wz files open when you are launching the server? Or is that what you get when you enter the map?

So I was going through the WZ's and stuff and I opened another server's (with GMS maps) Map.wz and noticed some differences. First of all, my map tiles are not in "tiles". They're in object, as you can see here.
. Thanks!

Back