Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Community Project

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How many of you would be interested in a community Pokemon MMOTCG/RPG project? I've been contemplating on designing an engine for a while, now. The engine would allow content creation via simple scripts.

The concept behind the project is this: You control a character of your own and can converse with NPC's and other players, just like a normal MMORPG. There would be a storyline, along with quests and events that give you rewards (either cards, or tokens to buy booster packs). Some quests/events will require you to defeat an NPC in a battle. Instead of your standard RPG fight system, you would take part in a Pokemon TCG (Trading Card Game) battle. You would also be able to challenge other players to matches and trade/buy/sell cards from/to both NPC's and other players.

I, personally, would most likely not be creating much content, but would instead be designing the entire engine. I am hoping that there would be enough interest in this, and that a lot of us could get together, contribute ideas and get a rough storyline jotted down. Work could then continue from there, with anybody being able to submit quests or scripted sections of the storyline. Artwork, music and sound effects would also be required.

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, but would not be smooth mmorpg (e.g. Pokenet, PWO or Pokemon Cryus) and do not is TCG?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, but would not be smooth mmorpg (e.g. Pokenet, PWO or Pokemon Cryus) and do not is TCG?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting that I drop the TCG aspects? If so, I'm afraid that's not the purpose of this thread... The idea is to create an MMORPG/TCG, not an MMORPG.

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
I just thought that most people like to play mmorpg's Pokenet. And I think something like that should be made. Forgive me. Did not really speak English. But I think it's really a very good idea.

Reaction score
I've actually been doing something similar for the past couple of weeks (except it is a MMORPG and not a TCG lol). I'm creating and designing a Pokemon client & server as I progress through my homemade 2D engine using DirectX 9, DirectInput, FMOD, irrXML, IOCP and LUA. I'm not actually interested in TCG games AT ALL, but if you need any help (depending on the API and language used, if any at all) drop me a PM, I'm sure I could find some time for it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else interested in contributing to this, or even just in seeing it actually done?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I absolutely adored the TCG for GBC. I spent a drove of hours every day playing it, and so would love to see a MMOTCG project.

I'm no good for anything more than 2d unfortunately. But if you need it, I'd love to help in some way.

Character portraits, menus, screens, backgrounds, visual elements (buttons, scrolls etc) or even just quality digitized versions of every card.

Keep the idea alive, It's an awesome one.

Tay

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I also believe the official Pokemon company has actually made such a game. I remember playing it with my sister and you used real cards, scanned them into the game kinda.. they had like codes on them or something. Then you'd own that card in the game.

Found it, the links in the spoiler.

xkl

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I could help gather a card database for you, if you want. Just need to find a website displaying all the sets, all the way to the most up-to-date. God knows there is quite a bit lol.

凸(ಠ益ಠ)凸
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What would be cool would be integrating the tcg with in the original pokemon rpg style. Cards could be drops or given from defeating trainers and gyms.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I love the Pokemon Trading Card Game (frankly I think they should have kept it with Wizards of the Coast, cause they have better artists), but I think for a fan-based one you'd have to add something that's more BAM, you know? I mean they already made an official game for that, so it'd have to have some features that are way more original and fun put into it. Like how omnija said, defeating trainers and gym leaders giving card drops. Overall, I think it's a great idea and I'd love to see and play it!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What would be cool would be integrating the tcg with in the original pokemon rpg style. Cards could be drops or given from defeating trainers and gyms.

That's the idea I had, but including quests and events.

What would this be coded on? Would php game best be used? because of how simple it can be?

Most likely either C# or Vala.

Back