Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Linux Dedicated Server help please

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So my friend donated to me a rather large dedicated server, it's a vps and one of a couple that he made out of the original since it was 100 dollars and had way more than what his private server of RO needed. So he gave me one that easily could double the specs of Pokenet on high..

But getting it all to work is the hard part! I don't know linux, I don't know how to work it or even how to start that damned run_pokenet.sh :/ Terminal is such a weird way of command prompt...

Can anyone help me set this up via skype / teamviewer? I am going to install navicat directly on the server and see if I can set up the database that way.. cause kloxx or whatever is just way too confusing for me.. but getting the server to start is the main problem I'm having it seems.

EDIT::
SkyTech21 - Linux Dedicated Server help please - RaGEZONE Forums

That's as far as I got the .sh to run now.. it does that like the normal server start up with .bat but then it doesn't open the settings window with Server Start, Stop, Save, Blah, Blah, Blah, Etc..

Tried it again just to hope the window would come up.. gave me "Could not create the Java Virtual Machine."

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
find the server settings in the folder. I cant remember where but... you could just modify the java files to have all the server settings pre-exist inside the source code like RS source usually does with connecting with clients.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Okay so the server works... but I just can't get it to connect to the database... this is what the database looks like:

it's MySQL... the webpage is a Kloxo I guess? It's what came with the server and I can't connect navicat with it cause navicat won't install on the vps. Server works, Login doesn't.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Okay so the server works... but I just can't get it to connect to the database... this is what the database looks like:

it's MySQL... the webpage is a Kloxo I guess? It's what came with the server and I can't connect navicat with it cause navicat won't install on the vps. Server works, Login doesn't.

I used xampp 1.6.4 to get my server going. I remember there being a linux version. it works better than navi and is easier to setup

###### ApacheFriends XAMPP (basic package) version 1.6.4 ######

+ Apache 2.2.6
+ MySQL 5.0.45
+ PHP 5.2.4 + PHP 4.4.7 + PEAR
+ PHP-Switch win32 1.0 (please use the "php-switch.bat")
+ XAMPP Control Version 2.5 from
+ XAMPP Security 1.0
+ SQLite 2.8.15
+ OpenSSL 0.9.8e
+ phpMyAdmin 2.11.1
+ ADOdb 4.95
+ Mercury Mail Transport System v4.01b
+ FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.23
+ Webalizer 2.01-10
+ Zend Optimizer 3.3.0
+ eAccelerator 0.9.5.2 for PHP 5.2.4 (comment out in the php.ini)

* System Requirements:

+ 64 MB RAM (RECOMMENDED)
+ 200 MB free fixed disk
+ Windows 98, ME
+ Windows NT, 2000, XP (RECOMMENDED)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The server is Linux, no windows programs work. System Requirements have to include Linux. Remember I'm not hosting the server, another computer (known as a Dedicated Server or VPS) is actually running my server 24/7 without doing anything else besides focusing on handling my game and website. I do stuff on it using a remote control known as NX Client / NOMACHINE. Plus I can't change from Apache / Kloxo, it's what's installed onto my server and it's not able to be changed sadly.

Lord suggested that my server's SSH is blocking the connection between MySQL and Game Server and that disabling my SHH will fix it.

Also note I'm not using Navicat because it doesn't play well with my server for some reason... so I use Kloxo's phpMyAdmin.. it's a manager like navicat but more directly linked and to me it's harder to work...

Reaction score
The server is Linux, no windows programs work. System Requirements have to include Linux. Remember I'm not hosting the server, another computer (known as a Dedicated Server or VPS) is actually running my server 24/7 without doing anything else besides focusing on handling my game and website. I do stuff on it using a remote control known as NX Client / NOMACHINE. Plus I can't change from Apache / Kloxo, it's what's installed onto my server and it's not able to be changed sadly.

Lord suggested that my server's SSH is blocking the connection between MySQL and Game Server and that disabling my SHH will fix it.

Also note I'm not using Navicat because it doesn't play well with my server for some reason... so I use Kloxo's phpMyAdmin.. it's a manager like navicat but more directly linked and to me it's harder to work...
If your hosting a website on the same computer, then that hosting software should have phpmyadmin. Use that in place of navicat, or any desktop software/

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
im going back to the original topic and perhaps its java not working right. maybe it is the wrong version of java.

what does java have to do with server connecting with the database? It's the correct java BTW.

Everything about the server is working. I can run the server, I can connect to the server from off the vps (as in on my computer and friend's computer) it's the database (account server) that's not connecting with the server.

xkl

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Are you sure all the correct ports are configured? Like, MySQL: 3306, PokeNet: 7001-7005, TCP.
Then just check for the common over looked thing, which is making sure your information in the servers startup prompt is correct. Even tho It probably is, but yeah lol.

Or you could setup a virtual machine running Windows XP with enough specs just to run it. Which isn't a lot :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
:) im just taking a swinging guess at it, but edit the server source file and directly put the password and database config into the server source. I know that the server setup that opens (start,stop,save) box doesn't exactly setup the pw correctly, its always 1 character off in that field and i have to re-type it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
:) im just taking a swinging guess at it, but edit the server source file and directly put the password and database config into the server source. I know that the server setup that opens (start,stop,save) box doesn't exactly setup the pw correctly, its always 1 character off in that field and i have to re-type it.

Already did that.

Back