Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Why Nintendo dont shutdown Pokemmo ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Title..

Why Nintendo dont shutdown this pokemon server?
anyone can answer this please ?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
They can't, and it's because of one simple reason, which PokeMMO state on their website:
* You must have the legal right to use that rom. We will not supply you with the roms, or help you find them as they are copyrighted
They dodge DMCA strikes because they require the user to provide the rom of the game, and their client just uses all that data
As long as they don't specifically provide something copyrighted in the Pokemon franchise, they're all good
As far as I know it's kind of a grey area, because you can use all the content you want as long as you don't publicly redistribute it, but you're not allowed to 'hack' your device, download or otherwise obtain the rom without official consent from Nintendo

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know whether Nintendo can do anything about the name itself "PokeMMO", but I imagine not since they are not using the full name "Pokemon"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They can't, and it's because of one simple reason, which PokeMMO state on their website:
* You must have the legal right to use that rom. We will not supply you with the roms, or help you find them as they are copyrighted
They dodge DMCA strikes because they require the user to provide the rom of the game, and their client just uses all that data
As long as they don't specifically provide something copyrighted in the Pokemon franchise, they're all good
As far as I know it's kind of a grey area, because you can use all the content you want as long as you don't publicly redistribute it, but you're not allowed to 'hack' your device, download or otherwise obtain the rom without official consent from Nintendo

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know whether Nintendo can do anything about the name itself "PokeMMO", but I imagine not since they are not using the full name "Pokemon"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Good point!

Other question.
Exist a server calle "PokeRag" is a pokemon server based on Ragnarok engine.
Why nintendo dont shutdown it? ^^ xD
Im very curious

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Could be multiple reasons, here's some of them:
Nintendo never even heard of PokeRag before, I know I never did before you told me about it
PokeRag hosts the game on an offshore server, where they can pretty much ignore DMCA strikes, because those rules don't apply there
Nintendo doesn't see PokeRag as a big enough threat and/or misrepresentation to their franchise to do anything about it
Nintendo doesn't care

I'd go with #2

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Basically, copyright only applies to media, so images/music/logos/etc,
then the names are patented.
But, you cannot copyright or patent mechanics or ideas.
So you could make your own pokemon game, exactly the same idea, with the same mechanics,
as long as you don't use the same names, images and/or music.

This is why PokeMMO is safe, because they are not using any of those things I mentioned before,
all the sprites, music, sound, names, etc is on the ROM, PokeMMO is just an application that takes info from the ROM and uses it indirectly.
And of course, they do not provide said ROM.

That said, you cannot copyright mechanics and or ideas, but code is copyrighted.
You can't just copy/paste the code from the roms (or any other game) and use it at will,
that's why PokeMMO had to recode all the mechanics manually,
and that's why it took them so long to add everything to the game.
It's actually an insane amount of work, and they did it perfectly.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
We want it. We have to have it. Our passion for it burns like the heat of a thousand suns, but what would happen if Nintendo did make a Pokemon MMO? Gaming humor site Dorkly may be on to something here. I doubt even Valve's Gabe Newell could save us.

Back