Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

PokeStory - Pokemon MMO

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
solrachet - PokeStory - Pokemon MMO - RaGEZONE Forums

Hello! I am known as Silver, or otherwise as Matt N.

I am known as the creator of Pokemon: Den of Ages, a moderately successful ORPG that was written in Vb6.
(I've noticed the source floating around on here. I don't want to keep developing that game, so please don't ask me for help with it.. Thank you! :):) Here's a of what the game used to be like.

Since the old engine started falling apart and wasn't compatible with newer versions of Windows, I have decided to stop work on it to start on a new engine. I'm coding it from scratch in C#. The new game is to be named PokeStory.

My game project is at located at

Brief summary:
PokeStory is a bold MMO that takes place in a unique world of Pokemon. Two factions exist in our world of Pokemon. The Imperial Order of Taeyl (simply, The Empire) and The Guilds of Sylvenia (simply, The Guilds). Players must pick one of the two factions to align themselves with. I am not striving for "Good vs. Evil" with this concept, but rather two governmental organizations that exist independent of each other.

You can find more information on my forums.

Some features (off the top of my head) include:
- Customizeable Players: Choose your hair style, outfit, and even hats to customize your overworld sprite.
- One Generation At a Time: What this means is when the game first goes public, only gen 1 will be available. Each generation will be added after that one at a time.
- Separate start zones: Communication between the Empire and the Guilds are going to be kept to a minimum. Therefore, it is crucial that each faction gets a separate start zone.
- Custom World: We plan to create an entire, literal new world of Pokemon. I want to incorporate the style of gameplay we know and love from the handhelds with the style of a typical RPG mixed with MMO elements to create a perfect blend of Pokemon, RPG, and MMO aspects. It has been a huge ambition of mine since middle school. :)
- Automated Tournaments: We plan to include a system of play that will automatically handle tournaments.
- Encouraged PvP: Separating players into two different factions adds to the flavor of the world as well as create opportunity for new friendships and encouraging rivalry. Because of that, we can create more fun PvP content than would normally be possible.
- And much more that escape me right now!

I have started to make significant progress on this new game engine I am writing to create a Pokemon Game. I am currently looking for many graphical persons to help me create content to put to my code to make a good looking, well functioning game.

I've taken the liberty of listing each position I would like filled on my forums. To look at these, you DO NOT need to sign up for the forums.

I only communicate via emails about this type of thing. My email address is in each thread that proclaims for help.

I have a lot planned for this game, but I'm spoiling details only a little bit at a time. I plan to write up a list of expected features in the next few days. I'll add them to this thread, if it generates any interest.

We can't pay you. :( I'm sorry, as I'm not doing this for money, there is no money to be made. Later on, we might start considering options for pay, but that's a long time from now.

I do have a few videos if you're curious to see whats been done so far. They're uploaded to YouTube. You can find them .

I don't mind answering any questions you might have! In fact, I encourage them. Just try to keep the questions about the job details to emails. :)

Progress:
- Map editor (without map attributes yet)
- Map system with attributes (attributes implemented, logic in the works)
* Attributes that work: Block, Warp
- Dynamic scrolling maps (maps stop scrolling when you approach the edge of it)
- Networking with a packet system
- Basic chat system
- Player characters on maps, including other connected players
- A version system to keep older clients from connecting to a newer server
- MySQL connectivity; load all important Pokemon information from a veekun database
- Player registration; also, player data loads and saves from the database
- Battle System ( ): pokemon objects are written out, players can own pokemon, battle screen layout is done, pvp battles work, damaging moves are working, major status effects implmented, stat boosters and reductions implemented, healing moves work, Pokemon and moves gen 1-6 are useable... about 65% complete
- Item System Skeleton added, all that's left here is the logic to each individual item.
- NPC system fully implemented. Just waiting to do test runs with NPCs, now.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've done a lot of work to the engine since I created this thread. Here's a from February that outlines some of what has been done. Of course, more accurate information about development can be found on the forums.

Also, here's a picture I've been showing off. It's a very neat montage of all of the game's currently working systems, with the exception of the battle system, it being a WIP.
solrachet - PokeStory - Pokemon MMO - RaGEZONE Forums

Come follow the development! We're pretty serious about making this game happen. :)

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Very nice, hope it's really serious, Because theres more alot of work to do.
Contact me if you need any help.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Too bad it isn't written in c++, I would've raised my hand to help you out ^-^. I can't wait to see this fly :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Looks nice. I've been thinking about writing a Pokemon emulator as a side attraction for the SteadfastMSE community but hadn't been to motivated till I saw this Pokemon section. ^.^

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
- Sorry for not posting to this thread in a while, PokeStory is *still* in development! -
Looks nice. I've been thinking about writing a Pokemon emulator as a side attraction for the SteadfastMSE community but hadn't been to motivated till I saw this Pokemon section. ^.^

Glad I could motivate you!

I'm checking in to say we have a facebook now:

I've posted a lot of screenshots to that page of progress. But if you don't feel like going to the Fb to see progress pictures, see attachments.

Here's a list of "progress" that has been done to the engine (I will update the original thread with this information):
- Map editor (without map attributes yet)
- Map system with attributes (attributes implemented, logic in the works)
* Attributes that work: Block, Warp
- Dynamic scrolling maps (maps stop scrolling when you approach the edge of it)
- Networking with a packet system
- Basic chat system
- Player characters on maps, including other connected players
- A version system to keep older clients from connecting to a newer server
- MySQL connectivity; load all important Pokemon information from a veekun database
- Player registration; also, player data loads and saves from the database
- Battle System ( ): pokemon objects are written out, players can own pokemon, battle screen layout is done, pvp battles work, damaging moves are working, major status effects implmented, stat boosters and reductions implemented, healing moves work, Pokemon and moves gen 1-6 are useable... about 65% complete
- Item System Skeleton added, all that's left here is the logic to each individual item.
- NPC system fully implemented. Just waiting to do test runs with NPCs, now.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm sorry for the lack of updates made to this thread. Development has been on an off since I created this post and the game is in a "playable" state for testing (since I just hacked out an entire engine I wanted to see where it stood for stability). If any of you would like to give it a try, the project homepage is the same. Go check it out! :)

A lot of new features are being worked on currently, and the battle system inches closer to perfection. Content is slowly being released as well.

* I realize that a lot of the links are broken - two years of development tends to do that... However, the PokeStory main web page and all the YouTube videos/pictures are still available it seems. The game has changed a lot in these two years.

(I apologize if topic ressing is against any rules; I merely just wanted to res this thread rather than starting a new one and copy-pasting)

Back