Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

PokeX - ROM based Pokemon Online Game

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Introduction

I would like to begin by saying that my english is not good, but i hope this will be readable.

Like the title may hint, PokeX is going to be ROM based pokemon game. It means every resource will be loaded from ROM. Practically, for running the game you will need to have Pokemon FireRed USA 1.0 version. I decided to make PokeX open source, so it can be modified for other versions.

PokeX will be online game and thus splitted in two parts, PokeXClient and PokeXServer. Everyone can make his own server and customize it, it will be similiar to RunUO (Ultime Online emulator), but I'm programming PokeXClient now. It will look same as official Pokemon FireRed, so 15x10 tile resolution, same fonts, same graphics, etc...

Next i'll focus on programming language. PokeX is written in C# targeted to .NET 1.1 platform and uses Managed DirectX 1.1 for rendering graphics. Although Managed DirectX (MDX) 1.1 is quite obsolete, it doesn't require any runtime unlike XNA, so the game should easily run on any windows computer without installing other components. PokeX also benefits from MDX ability to run High Level Shader Language (HLSL) code, which is executed directly by graphic card and is very fast in contrast with C#. For example, tileset, blockset and blockmap can be loaded as textures and assembled by HLSL to final map, which can save a lot of processor time. On the other side, you will need graphic card with Pixel shader 3.0+ and Vertex shader 3.0+, but this shouldn't be problem nowadays.

I'd like to highlight one thing. I actually don't think i will ever complete this project, because lack of time. This is why i'm making it open source, so every one can continue or just use it in his project. C# is good language to begin and relatively easy to understand, so modifying PokeX should be easy too.

That's all I wanted to say, feel free to ask anything.

Development

Downloads

Current version
PokeXClient v0.0.0.02

1) 0 - alfa/beta, 1 - release
2) 0 - pre alpha, 1 - alpha, 2> beta
3) 0 - non playable, 1> playable
4) build

Base Info
- platform .NET 1.1
- language C#
- graphic MDX 1.1
- shader HLSL

PokeXClient v0.0.0.02
dagid4 - PokeX - ROM based Pokemon Online Game - RaGEZONE Forums

- first usable version
- it can load maps from ROM
- you can move with arrows and change map by +/-

PokeXClient v0.0.0.01
dagid4 - PokeX - ROM based Pokemon Online Game - RaGEZONE Forums

- it can only load ROM and check if it is valid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Words.. I have non.. it looks great!

Suggestion? If you make the server / client have the ability to load any ROM.. so people can make MMOs of any Pokemon game, that COULD be the future of Pokemon MMOs... I defiantly would host a server for each Pokemon game haha.

Reaction score
This is really interesting, I didn't know you could actually re-use ROMs.

Now all you really have to do is synch to clients if you want to make it multiplayer. Altough I'm unsure how you'd draw more characters.

You should consider pushing this to github. I'd probably eventually contribute.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd defiantly be interested in sponsoring this project with a UK hosted server... Let me know if you're interested.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback!
Words.. I have non.. it looks great!

Suggestion? If you make the server / client have the ability to load any ROM.. so people can make MMOs of any Pokemon game, that COULD be the future of Pokemon MMOs... I defiantly would host a server for each Pokemon game haha.
About the suggestion. As i said, it can be modified to load any other ROM. For now it can load only FireRed USA 1.0, but it can also load ROM hack of this version. For example, if you load some FireRed USA 1.0 ROM hack, which use custom map, it should show the custom map. So there will be the possibility to make your ROM hack online :).
This is really interesting, I didn't know you could actually re-use ROMs.

Now all you really have to do is synch to clients if you want to make it multiplayer. Altough I'm unsure how you'd draw more characters.

You should consider pushing this to github. I'd probably eventually contribute.
It's actually little bit complicated. I only read resources from ROM, such as Tiles, Maps, Names, etc. But the game mechanic is not loaded from ROM (it would be hard to do it this way). So i have to write the game mechanic from scratch, which is very time consuming. This is why i don't think i will ever complete it. About the github, i will consider it.
I'd defiantly be interested in sponsoring this project with a UK hosted server... Let me know if you're interested.
I'm interested for sure, but PokeX is in very beginning stage. It has not got the server side programmed yet, so there is no need for server for now.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know this is early days, but I thought I'd get my sponsorship deal in early haha.

Back