Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Pokemonium Goes Open Source.

Reaction score
Quoted from Mythic.

Pokemonium has been a fun ride for all of us, we've learned a lot in the process, but it's time to say goodbye for us to active and dedicated development.

When we picked up Pokemonium in may 2012 we already knew this would happen eventually. Pokemonium would be a dead end, no matter what. We would either grow big and get knocked down by Nintendo or it would bleed to death.
However, we decided that due to the (crappy) original pokenet source code we have come to a point that it's no longer worth it to 'fix' bugs. Last couple of months we came to the point that developing Pokemonium almost became an (unpaid) full time job. This made us decide that we'd either have to build a new Pokemonium from scratch. Or start developing our own game which (we hope) would pay us the time we invested.
We decided the latter because of the reason I mentioned before. Pokemonium (or any pokemon MMO) will eventually be a dead end which get's knocked down, bleeds to death and doesn't pay the loads of time we invest in it.

How will Pokemonium go on now?
There has been a lot of requests from the community as to make the code open source and we've made this happen. You can create a fork of the Pokemonium git repository at:

Most people know how it works to contribute to open source projects, but to those who don't, let me explain a bit.
You can clone our repository but don't have direct write access to it. In order to be able to contribute you should create a fork of the repository. This basically creates a little private repostory for you, where you can commit to.
When you've got a/some fix(es) ready, issue a pull request with a description of what you've done and why. We will evaluate these pull requests and, once accepted, merge them into the main repository.
If you encounter any issues/bugs/whatever, feel free to submit an issue to the repository. This way they are visible to anyone and anyone can see and fix them.

We wish you best of luck to dive into the source code and look forward to seeing your pull requests being issued!!! Please bear in mind that we do not want to be poked on how the code works. If you want to contribute you should be able to figure it out for yourself. We are however going to expand the wiki soon with some tips.

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
This is a completely rewritten version?

Reaction score
This was based off the pokenet source, with a ton of changes.

Example:
1.4 Release notes;
[ADD] Ingame pokedex.
[ADD] Pokemonium Mall.[ADD] All pokeballs (except for gen 4's Park ball and gen 4's Dream Ball) have been implemented. You can buy them in the pokemonium mall[ADD] Effort Values (EV's).[ADD] Add original trainer name on pokemon info.[ADD] Add moves on pokemon info (party-viewer).[ADD] The server now records what ball was used to catch a pokemon (all already caught pokemon have been assigned a regular pokeball). For future purpose.[FIX] Movement has been fixed an is way smoother now![FIX] No more loading between maps.[FIX] Client doesn't crash anymore when giving an item to a pokemon.[FIX] One can now press 'Enter' to log out (confirm the dialogue).//REQUESTS/TODO[REQ]Hoenn and Sinnoh.[REQ]Trainer Cards.[REQ]Quests.[REQ]Battle animations.[REQ]finish kanto (route 20 and safari zone(being worked on by light adept?)).[REQ]TM's Fly and Strength (Johto Badge?).[REQ]Make names clickable on right screen of pokedex.
1.5 release notes;
[FIX] Gen 4 pokemon not being registrated correctly.
[FIX] Slow walking when pokedex is open.[FIX] Scrolling the pokedex is slow/laggy.[FIX] Unable to close the pokedex with the '2' hotkey.[FIX] Trading now works properly.[FIX] connection between cinnebar island and fushia city[FIX] invissible (shop)items[FIX] unsteppable areas[FIX] invisible NPCs[FIX] wild exp gain is now based on the participating pokemon levls[FIX] 4th gen pokemon sprites[FIX] game crash on ditto, smeargle and some legendaries[FIX] fishing bug[FIX] faster server boot[FIX] shed skin[FIX] status ailments display in battle[FIX] stat lowering moves now show they do[FIX] several abilities now show what they do[FIX] recalibrate player position on end of battle[FIX] updated pokemon moves[FIX] no outer collision in 8th gym of kanto[FIX] bigger bagRemade the entire client/server communication infrastructure.[ADD] Hoenn and Sinnoh (includes caves, gyms, pokemon centers, pokemarkts)[ADD] Kanto cycle route[ADD] train and boat transportation[reADD] Kanto safari zone[ADD] entry control on Mt.Silver and safari zone[ADD] some of slams sprites are now buyable ingame[ADD] Kanto & Johto graphic update[ADD] new sprites[ADD] Italian language (if you want your own language to be added provide us with the translated files)[ADD] new world map[ADD] kanto elite 4[ADD] new music([ADD] Sevii islands, iron island, battlefrontier - staff area)
Current Progress;
Release Notes:
[FIX] NullPointer when closing client before it was loaded.[FIX] NullPointer at startup regarding server hosts.[FIX] IllegalThreadStateException when time is set multiple times.[FIX] Client doesn't crash when an unimplemented language is selected.[FIX] NPE's no longer appear when a file is not found (related to above).[FIX] Nullpointer on lvl up at refresh party call.[FIX] Non-available servers are no longer clickable.[FIX] Client-sided movement should be smooth and fixed now.[FIX] Potions are now in the right backpack.[FIX] Giovani (8th gym leader in kanto) now gives the correct badge.[FIX] Move buttons now get disabled correctly when switching pokemon.[FIX] SpeechFrame no longer leaves a ghost behind. (It doesn't with 1 or 2. But does with more than 2)[FIX] Total experience is now correctly displayed in the Pokemon window.[FIX] Database is updated after the logout.[FIX] Pokeballs(except the pokeball) have higher catch rates[FIX] Happiness is reduced by 10% when defeated in battle[ADD] Added Logout button to the UI.[ADD] Serverlist is retrieved from the web.[ADD] Double Escape doesn't close the game, Esc + Enter now does. Esc cancels quitting.[ADD] Back buttons on the login screen and server select screen.[ADD] Cheatdetection system, since the client is open source we need a cheatdetection system on the server side.[ADD] Black background instead of the loading screen when inside the game.[ADD] Pokemon movetype is now displayed in the battle interface.[ADD] More than awesome Bulbasaur spritesheet for character.[ADD] Hotkeyed pokemon attacks to buttons 1-2-3-4[ADD] Hotkeyed OLD ROD to 'R', GOOD ROD to 'T', GREAT ROD to 'Y, ULTRA ROD to 'U'[ADD] keys.ini file. You can set some custom controls here! It's located at res/keys.ini[ADD] Trainers now give more base gold if you beat them.[ADD] Friendlist is stored into database, further implementation follows.[ADD] Evolution stones should work, has been tested with Pikachu.[ADD] New loading screen.[ADD] New login screen.[ADD] New icons for the HUD bar.[ADD] spriteloader for future addons (like having pokemon walk behind you)[ADD] EXP bar in battle view[BUG] NPE when clicking back immidiatly after selecting server (due to that the packetgenerator object hasn't been initialized yet)[BUG] Both pokemon use struggle when a berry is used during battle.[BUG] On relog items get incremently multiplied by the quantity that they actually have. 1x10 -> relog -> 2x10 -> relog -> 3x10. This effect is only visually.[BUG] Clicking an empty slot after winning/losing a fight disconnects the player from the server.-------------------------------RN 1.4------------------------------------[ADD] Ingame pokedex[ADD] Pokemonium Mall[ADD] All pokeballs (except for gen 4's Park ball and gen 4's Dream Ball) have been implemented. You can buy them in the pokemonium mall[ADD] evs[ADD] Add original trainer name on pokemon info[ADD] Add moves on pokemon info (party-viewer)[ADD] The server now records what ball was used to catch a pokemon (all already caught pokemon have been assigned a regular pokeball). For future purpose.[FIX] Movement has been fixed an is way smoother now![FIX] No more loading between maps.[FIX] Client doesn't crash anymore when giving an item to a pokemon.[FIX] One can now press 'Enter' to log out (confirm the dialogue).//REQUESTS/TODO[REQ]Hoenn and Sinnoh[REQ]trainer cards[REQ]quests[REQ]battle animations[REQ]finish kanto (route 20 and safari zone(being worked on by light adept?))[REQ]tm fly and strength[REQ]Make names clickable on right screen of pokedex.*These points have to be verified.

all of this can be found here;

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
all of this can be found here;

I would like to point out that those are not up to date and were not maintained. For the latest release notes, please see the 1.6 release notes on the pokemonium forums. The current progress and Todo 1.5 are obsolete and I'll remove them in a moment.

Where can you write the server list?
The server list is read from an URL (currently ). The URL can be changed at org.pokemonium.client.ui.frames.ServerDialog.java line 63.

Reaction score
1.6 notes
Code:
1.6Java 1.7 compatibility!
New interface library! It is customisable and we will post more information about this soon!
More exp for low level Pokemon!
Added Kurt the crafter.
Added Move Re-learner
Added Orre region, more places to explore!!!
Faster loading.
The game uses less memory and processing power than before.
Improved walking speed.
Fullscreen option works!
Music works if you haven't muted it :).
Fixed alot of map issues.
Fixed IV/EV miscalculation.
Fixed alot of battle issues.
Fixed 3th/4th gen Pokemon not being able to learn TM's.
Misc bug fixes.

Fixed box sometimes not opening
Fixed speechframe constant closing/opening when pressing space (interaction button) or clicking mouse when boxing.
Corrected position of the HP bar in boxing.
Corrected position of pokemon name in boxing.
Fixed an error that caused pokemon not to learn moves
Fixed an error that caused the move relearner to crash.
Fixed an issue where the HUD (top bar) would remain on top of the login screen when logging out while in battle.
Fixed an error where the speechframe in battle was throwing a lot of errors when keeping space (interaction button) pressed.
Fixed a crash in the train and boatchooser dialog.
Fixed 4th move type in battle not appearing correctly.

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
I would like to point out that those are not up to date and were not maintained. For the latest release notes, please see the 1.6 release notes on the pokemonium forums. The current progress and Todo 1.5 are obsolete and I'll remove them in a moment.

The server list is read from an URL (currently ). The URL can be changed at org.pokemonium.client.ui.frames.ServerDialog.java line 63.

I found this, but it can be set to not load an external web address?

xkl

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I'm glad you actually released this; instead of starting another project and leaving this behind.
I wish you, and the team the best of luck. :)

regards,

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
It reads a txt file from the url, so just edit it so it reads a local file.

Thank you so much. I managed to do it, but i have a new problem. When I log into the game and try to log on to this type of game.

Login failed. Please try again.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I managed to do it, but i have a new problem. When I log into the game and try to log on to this type of game.

Login failed. Please try again.

The has more information on this.

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
"You do not have access to the wiki.

Use the links at the top to get back."

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
Interestingly, I was able to register it, but I can not login.

RaGEZONER || Webdevloper
Banned
Reaction score
Use eclipse.

Back