Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

WZ "Encrypting" Wz files?

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
So I just went through and added a series of custom bosses and maps for those bosses that I hand created to only realize that once my server releases, people will leech these files. Is there a way I can encrypt files so people can't steal the files to use for their own?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So I just went through and added a series of custom bosses and maps for those bosses that I hand created to only realize that once my server releases, people will leech these files. Is there a way I can encrypt files so people can't steal the files to use for their own?

>leeches from nexon
>doesn't want his poop leeched

??

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: "Encrypting" Wz files?

>leeches from nexon

??
Nawh man, I see no issue here.

But uh. go modify the client to decrypt your encrypted wz files. ez

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Either alter the decryption routine/key in the client side, or exploit that HaRepacker bug to cause it to crash.

Upvote 0
Reaction score

Exploiting bugs in HaRepacker doesn't really work because someone can just fix the bug and then your "encryption" is useless.

The only way you can actually encrypt the wz files is by modifying the client itself. Perhaps via adding a hook that decrypts certain data before loading it. That would at least stop the average leecher. That said, modifying the client like that is difficult, and if you were able to do it, you probably would be doing it and not asking us how to do it.

tl;dr No.

Upvote 0
Mythic Archon
Reaction score

>leeches from nexon

??

God dammit oxy.

Nawh man, I see no issue here.

But uh. go modify the client to decrypt your encrypted wz files. ez

Exploiting bugs in HaRepacker doesn't really work because someone can just fix the bug and then your "encryption" is useless.

The only way you can actually encrypt the wz files is by modifying the client itself. Perhaps via adding a hook that decrypts certain data before loading it. That would at least stop the average leecher. That said, modifying the client like that is difficult, and if you were able to do it, you probably would be doing it and not asking us how to do it.

tl;dr No.

Thanks for the feed back. I saw a development thread for a v83 client so maybe I could use that when its done for my wz files. Thanks for the replies!

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

God dammit oxy.

Thanks for the feed back. I saw a development thread for a v83 client so maybe I could use that when its done for my wz files. Thanks for the replies!

Indeed, if this client ever makes it to 100% usable and good for servers then you can duck every algorithms known to man in this client, and even make new jobs, new gameplay, etc. Honestly, is it even maplestory at that point? Or rather, a different game with maplestory graphics and similar gameplay?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
if someone can help me with this (modifying the client's decryption as well as wz files to work with the new client) please contact me! I would like to learn how it's done or get some help making a very basic method that works.

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
if someone can help me with this (modifying the client's decryption as well as wz files to work with the new client) please contact me! I would like to learn how it's done or get some help making a very basic method that works.

did you even read the posts?

Upvote 0
(O_o(o_O(O_O)o_O)O_o)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
did you even read my post?

Yes, yes he obviously did. And you just as obviously didn't read those of the thread. At least not properly.

Long story short, you can't "just do this". So don't ask around for help. Especially not in the thread that in it's posts explains why you shouldn't be asking this.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes, yes he obviously did. And you just as obviously didn't read those of the thread. At least not properly.

Long story short, you can't "just do this". So don't ask around for help. Especially not in the thread that in it's posts explains why you shouldn't be asking this.

Long story short, yes you can. I've had a friend who did it for my client before. I assumed with such a large community of 'developers', maybe 1-2 are capable of something as serious as this.

Upvote 0
(O_o(o_O(O_O)o_O)O_o)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Long story short, yes you can. I've had a friend who did it for my client before. I assumed with such a large community of 'developers', maybe 1-2 are capable of something as serious as this.

It's not that serious. I side with oxysoft on this. Encryption your files is useless. Untill sector posted here the thread was very clear on this not being possible in any easy way. As for people being capable of this, a lot of people are capable of this. It's just so weird to do so that they don't bother doing so. If you wish your desperate call for help has been answered by sector. So you can give his link a shot.

Also please note my reply was aimed at how annoyingly stupid your reply was, even though the issue was still open for discussing.

Hope sectors reply will help you figure this out. Cheers mate.

Reactions: Rey
Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's not that serious. I side with oxysoft on this. Encryption your files is useless. Untill sector posted here the thread was very clear on this not being possible in any easy way. As for people being capable of this, a lot of people are capable of this. It's just so weird to do so that they don't bother doing so. If you wish your desperate call for help has been answered by sector. So you can give his link a shot.

Also please note my reply was aimed at how annoyingly stupid your reply was, even though the issue was still open for discussing.

Hope sectors reply will help you figure this out. Cheers mate.

I think the point of his reply is he wants his wz files encrypted to the point it can't be reversed (like original thread owner), however the link sector provided is the encryption used by every wz edited server and can be reversed back to useable form using the Decrypter. It's a simple MapleLib exploit for HaRepacker and has been patched anyways ;P

In order to make your files encrypted you'd have to find a completely new maplelib exploit and change encryptions client and wz sided so that only your client can load the files, and only you can edit them. Nobody cares to do this, though.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think the point of his reply is he wants his wz files encrypted to the point it can't be reversed (like original thread owner), however the link sector provided is the encryption used by every wz edited server and can be reversed back to useable form using the Decrypter. It's a simple MapleLib exploit for HaRepacker and has been patched anyways ;P

In order to make your files encrypted you'd have to find a completely new maplelib exploit and change encryptions client and wz sided so that only your client can load the files, and only you can edit them. Nobody cares to do this, though.

Actually, no, my friend edited our client and added a custom encryption that he coded, along with a modification to our wz files, which allowed them to work with only my client. There was no exploit in maplelib used (AFAIK). So yeah, it's possible and it's been done that way, but for some reason this idiot (Novak) is not willing to accept that l0l. I was hoping someone here with enough knowledge about assembly could help with this, but of course, it requires some work and I don't know enough about appending to the client/assembly to do it myself.
sector I have looked those up, but any WZEncryptor is not going to be enough unless it also modifies the client, because otherwise it's not really an encryption.. (and people will surely reverse it if it's on google).

Either way, it might not be needed now, but I'm still looking if someone is interested in helping.

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Actually, no, my friend edited our client and added a custom encryption that he coded, along with a modification to our wz files, which allowed them to work with only my client. There was no exploit in maplelib used (AFAIK). So yeah, it's possible and it's been done that way, but for some reason this idiot (Novak) is not willing to accept that l0l. I was hoping someone here with enough knowledge about assembly could help with this, but of course, it requires some work and I don't know enough about appending to the client/assembly to do it myself.
sector I have looked those up, but any WZEncryptor is not going to be enough unless it also modifies the client, because otherwise it's not really an encryption.. (and people will surely reverse it if it's on google).

Either way, it might not be needed now, but I'm still looking if someone is interested in helping.

Just because you modify the specific encryption in your client/wz so that only your client can parse it, i'm pretty sure MapleLib will still be able to parse your WZ's. Also, knowing where the key is held for encrypting/decrypting your WZ's in client/wz (which is a few DLL's not the client directly actually..), people can easily reverse your files, find the cipher key, exploit and extract your wz.

Reactions: Rey
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just because you modify the specific encryption in your client/wz so that only your client can parse it, i'm pretty sure MapleLib will still be able to parse your WZ's. Also, knowing where the key is held for encrypting/decrypting your WZ's in client/wz (which is a few DLL's not the client directly actually..), people can easily reverse your files, find the cipher key, exploit and extract your wz.

Well his code was also obfuscated within the client along with the other modifications we added (such as where the IP is loaded and some headers that we changed, and so on). I know at least one person who did try to figure out how to reverse them, and was unable to do anything successfully.

Upvote 0
Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Did you try the program that I told you about?...

The bored cryptor is reversed through either the released de-cryptor or an up to date harepacker (fixes the maplelib bug)
Everyoneelsehere,
I am hoping to use the v83 client being built by, correct me if I am wrong, SYJourney? But that doesn't seem to be progressing as fast as I need it to. Exploiting it to the point where only people who understand what they are doing is the best bet because if no one would go through that much trouble for wz edits that can easily be done with time. Just need to find an exploit... one that might not exist.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
You can change the IV and key used by the client in just a few seconds if you have their respective addresses (I've done this myself actually), but that is more of a "noob shield" so to speak. It would stop the majority of people who would try to steal your content of course (since the majority of them use tools like HaRepacker and wouldn't bother trying to add a special casing in for your files and would give up as soon as "GMS (old)" wouldn't work). Koolk had a tool back in the day which broke the parser for the C# library (and still probably does) and worked for the MS client, but someone released a tool to return the files to a format the parser would be able to read again.

Physically changing the encryption algorithm sounds like such a pain in the butt for something strictly not worth the effort.

Upvote 0
Back