Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

WZ [Tutorial]Adding Custom Maps [With Pictures!]

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This is my guide on how to make your own Maplestory Maps, using koolk map editor and hacreator.

What you need for this tutorial:

A maplestory server (I'm using v83, but this should work for all versions)
A computer running windows
Access to the xmls in the server
A backup of Map.wz
Map Editor.exe (koolk map editor)
HaCreator

1. Open "Map Editor.exe"
2. You should see this:
misterb98 - [Tutorial]Adding Custom Maps [With Pictures!] - RaGEZONE Forums
3. Browse to your Map.wz you wish to add the map to. You should be prompted about your version. Push yes.
4. You should see this:
IGNORE IT! just close it.
5. click the new button. A window with several options should pop up. Fill it out. This is how mine looked with it filled:
Make sure that the map ID is not already in use on your map.wz Click "Create".
6. You should now be looking at a blank screen again. This time however, it is different. click the edit button (the one to the right of the gamepad), and then click the now-red button tile. On the right side, click "select tiles". That should make this window pop up:

7. Double click on the tileset you want. I did the bluetoycastle.
8. You now have to double click on a tile you want to add it to the map. drag it to wherever, just don't put it too low. you can also crl+c and crl+v to make the process faster. Here is mine after I added what I wanted:

Image count reached. Posting Again...

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Adding Custom Maps Part 2

8. now click the red-colored tiles button again to deselected. now click FH (means footholds). Now click the button fourth from the right. This should make a whole bunch of blue dots appear. connect the dots where you want footholds by clicking on one, then click on another. to cancel a line, click somewhere random. DON'T PUSH ESCAPE! THIS WILL CLOSE THE PROGRAM! Here a picture of mine when i finished this step:
9. You have almost finished the basics of your map. All you need now is a place to enter it. click the red "portal" button, after unclicking the fourth button from the right. Now click the 6th button from the right. drag that point to where you want your portal to be (MAKE SURE IT IS ON THE GROUND), then double click it. A window will show up. fill it out like this (you can change the map Id, i have it for the FM)
10. Yay! you finished making your map! now for implementing it. Click the save button at the top of the screen, then wait for the program to respond. once it does, it means that the save finished. Now close the program.

11. Open HaCreator. Click Tools -> save. save as an XML. Browse to your server's source, go to the WZ folder, then map.wz, then map, then the first number of your map ID. for mine, that would be 0, as my map is 00000005. Save it as <map id>.img.xml
When it asks you something, click yes.

12. Once HaCreator responds again, change the save option to wz, and select your Map.wz file that you originally chose with the map editor. Save. If a error pops up, click continue, in which another error should pop up along with a box that says it saved successfully. Close HaCreator.

13. Restart Your Server. Launch the game with the client with the modified Map.wz. if you are a gm, just warp there and see if it works! If it does, you are finished!:thumbup: Me in my map:

Note: Make sure that if you delete your map, all characters are not in it. otherwise, if they try to log in, they will get a error and D/C

I may add more stuff to this later, like how to add monsters or Npcs, ropes and ladders, clocks, and props.

Attachments

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Id really Appreciate it if you add the extra info about how to add mobs (at the least) Great guide though Thanks :).

Also If you know how to add custom Backgrounds,Tiles,Music (I think music is pretty easy, just gotta use mp3 files or something like that) It would be great to have a tutorial on that as well

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Music is in the new map window. choose the song you want. I'm working on stuff for my own server, so It's possible I wont do NPC and Mobs. And this is map editor. not HaRepacker. So it isn't relevant to add custom properties.

Reaction score
Omg! How do I edit the GUI? My server is v83, so it looks old. I want it to look like bigbang. How do I edit the cash shop button too?! Anyway, amazing tut. :D

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
can anyone help?

Attachments

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: Adding Custom Maps Part 2

Note: Make sure that if you delete your map, all characters are not in it. otherwise, if they try to log in, they will get a error and D/C

Why not just keep the .xml's for the map in the server source, and set returnMap and forcedReturnMap to henesys or something. They will dc once, and when they relog they should be sent to henesys if I'm right. If not, you can always run a query to change all chars in X map to henesys

Let's say you removed Map 0, and you wanted to force all characters in Map 0 to go to henesys, you would run
Update odinms.characters
set characters.map = 100000000 where characters.map = 0
database name
forced return map
removed map

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Great tutorial! Great way to expand the Maple World lol

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I cant even installk net framework 3.5 for Map editor..zz

Back