Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Client editing information for beginners

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1) Understanding of files

First of all before you edit any files you should know what does what so ill briefly cover the most commonly used ones:

STB – These files you will play with the most, STB files contains most client sided stats for almost any in game thing, starting from items, ending with maps, almost anything you add will require to edit one of those. For further detail look below where they each will be explained in detail. - These are worked out as tables.

STL – This is your favorite name files, they contain names for almost anything in game, NPC’s, maps, items, shop tabs and so on.

DDS – Image files, of any kind, textures, loading screens, shadow maps, light maps, everything that requires an image will be in DDS format. This format can be opened by Photoshop with the nvidia plugin.

ZMS – Model file, it’s a 3d model for anything in game, you can create your own with almost any 3D program. You can't create the ZMS files directly unless you're using the blender plugin.

ZSC – A file that links DDS and ZMS (or other files if needed) to STB, any new item or NPC added will require editing of this file. This is the load database for the client to link stuff together.

ZMO – Motion and animation files

EFT – Various effect files and information on how they are shown. Mostly used to create random effects. For example the various special effects you see in game, glow, particles, smoke and so on

IFO – Describes object placement on the map, what, where and so on.

LTB – Various quest and NPC talk files

QSD – Various quest information, anything related to quests are mostly in these files. Main quest structure. Anything related to quest is made in here.

ZMD - model bone structure to make the ZMS and ZMO work together.

CON - NPC logic stuff, helps QSD and LTB flow together

XML - determines the layout of the user interface, buttons, etc. (mainly the placements of the user interface)

TSI - defines coordinates and areas of DDS files as resources for the XMLs to use

ZON - map files. file list of ground textures, respawn and warp areas, and other things that are still unclear.

CHR - for NPCs and Avatars, links the correct ZMO, ZMD, and ZSC entries to the STB so it can move

TIL - Tiles of a map

HIM - The height map of a map, basically it defines all your hills and mountains you see in maps.

LIT - Links the light map to the dds light map

MOV - Limits the movements on map not allowing you pass into certain areas (this one isn't certain)

PTL - Also various effects

2) Commonly asked questions and tutorials to answer them:

How to add an item into shops – tutorial by purpleyouko
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=902

How to add planet ORO, with supplied files – by xXDarkXx
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=939

Custom loading screens – by Sniper
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1001

Adding new items explained through out this topic
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=706&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Creating a new item with 3D Max - By Sethanye
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1101

Texture Mapping in 3d Max - By Sethanye
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1181

3d Max - Making a sword (advanced creation) - By Sethanye
Part 1
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1182
Part 2
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1183

3d Max - Making a shield (line work) - By Sethanye
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1186

Credits:
Sethanye from dev-osrose

(fixing all the random crap that isn't correct and moving some more topics and stuff)
(@Purpleyouko & Raven correct anything that I missed or mistook this goes for every tutorial I'm going to create.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
CON also defines what kind of the text it is what the npc says. Example "Hello" is the text you can't click on, "I'm lost" is the text you can click on. It also defines what text it needs to load (if you click on text) and if it should close the window or not.
Sorry for my crappy explanation :eek:tt1:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
CON also defines what kind of the text it is what the npc says. Example "Hello" is the text you can't click on, "I'm lost" is the text you can click on. It also defines what text it needs to load (if you click on text) and if it should close the window or not.
Sorry for my crappy explanation :eek:tt1:
basically npcs dialogue

Back