Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

New dragon =d

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Kind of 18000 polys less than the previous, and better =D

ScreamingFox - New dragon =d - RaGEZONE Forums

In game tests (just the mesh)

=D.. Will try to rig it with physique later and replace some monster to it XD..

More development images:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f119/new-dragon-wip-d-951151/

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I thought it was gonna be a pet from the title. XD I guess if you scaled it, maybe?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Texture it like in the fist picture but green? It might look good. :)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I was trying to work out why it felt wrong. It's a kind of raptor with pterodactyl wings isn't it? I think I feel like it would need more hind leg muscle to support the weight of those wings when on the ground... even though I'm aware that birds just have twigs for legs. XD

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
About being smaller, i don't know.. A strange thing that has happened (with that cat i made a while ago) is that when ('if') the cat (the cat model) was giant (2 or 3 times a character's height, etc..) it was fine, but if i made the cat a normal sized cat, if i touch it (if my character's model touches the cat's model) or comes too near, it crashes the game.. Perhaps for small assets the 'lowpolyness' is mandatory.. but for a big sized model (for what i noticed) you can have a 5k poly count.. But i also thought it would be a 'cute pet' if it were small.. I have to make 12 dragons to finally make my first 'good' one, this one is the second.. but when i get able to make the good dragons i will be able to make the improved dragon pet...

The model is not even mapped ('unwrapped') yet, those are standard 3dsmax procedural maps.. applied to diffuse and reflexion.. to make it green instead of orange is very very easy :).. I will start the texture using the render-to-texture (but need to unwrap before...)..

Yes the legs, arms and especially the wings will become a bit more muscular.. The wing is based on the ones such as bats wings.. The pterodactyl 'arm' is very alike a chiken's.. I made the wings more muscular than the arms.. usually people draw overweighted dragons with small wings.. but i will yet make some refinements and corrections, will enlarge the paws (hands) a bit, etc.. and the legs will become more muscular too.. To the legs i tried to make kind of like a mix between an 'raptor' and an ostrich.. i will enlarge the 'toes' a bit too..

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
A little tweak on the legs.. more 'ostrichy' now :*... also much stronger than before :)

Starting the mapping (unwrapping) now..

@edit: Finishing the mapping... separating material ID's and starting the compositing of the texture :)

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
All parts indeed separated (in many ways..)

Texture made almost completely on 3ds, procedural maps, blending materials and render-to-texture..

Ah i took of that 'crocky' scales from the wing (just from the wing).. kind of did not feel right there.. so i put some kind of 'softer leather'..

First rendered ("baked" or game-ready) texture =D

From there i will improve and compose on Photoshop.. :)

Ah i love to watch those rotating models XDDD

@edit: Facial rig targets test (some moving together with others, but if i would make just 1 "expression" and then just another one the gif would be impracticable (too big, etc..) but it is fun to watch...

Unfortunately PT does not support morph targets :(... so it will not have some facial animations..

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Yeah thanks :), i have even made an walk animation with CAT:

But i have deleted the CAT rig and i am making my own rig... And i am kind of stuck on the 'wing closing' rig (making a controller which closes the entire wing, these wing's closing movement is kind of between the movement of a bat's wing and of a chicken's wing (closing and 'idle' on the body).. so i would not have to move bone by bone to close the wings, and furthermore, not losing the possibility to move/rotate the sub controllers which are controlled by this one controller that will close the entire wing (it is a logical problem too..)).. This freaking wing has got kind of 6 fingers (the usual dragon has 2 fingers... which i seriously doubt that could handle the weight of those (usually 'fat') dragons), and with those membranes between each one and it is very very hard to rig.. But the good thing is that my attempts on that wings have taught me about rigging stuff that after this wing i will know to do very complex rigs.. a tanks wheel group rig for an example is so much simpler than that wings closing D=.. XD...

Last edited:
Back