Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Laxe Lore [aka modified Priston Tale engine]

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to describe it to you... I tried making some screen shots of the meshes with and without Speculative (gloss map) applied, but you can only really see the effect of high gloss when the mesh (or it's surrounding light source) moves. :s

There is a speculative map in Lax textures, but not in PT1 ones. The map is very low contrast, and in many cases almost a plain grey square... I can't tell from a still shot what is lightmap and what is glossmap, but from the video you linked, you can clearly see highly glossy ribbing to armours and stuff.

That may exist on a very few meshes in Lax, but I've never been able to get in to the game to play them... what it definitely isn't in is PT1.

The options screen has broken in the new update for this new client, but I was going to suggest seeing if your rendering settings are turned down. When I go to get a screenie of it... I find it now causes "Application has failed and is being shut down by Windows." :( Well it worked yesterday.

Button on the bottom left of the launcher anyway, in case it's just me, or Vista or something. XD

I'm not sure that NetImmense / GameBryo mesh files natively support UV texture maps, but Bethesda (Oblivion, Fallout) link a UV-map (the purply blueish one) with the speculative (or emmisive light) in the alpha channel. I think that's what DirectX expects, but I could be wrong.

Depends what you when you say have my rendering setting been turned down.But yea I find that trying to go the graphics setting crashes, then if the game starts full it looks glitched(for me a at least), then to top it off when I close it, it changes my desktop resolution to whatever the default resolution for the game was(in this case 1024x900 i think).So I had to change to windowed mode through a hex editor,but If i try to change the resolution through a hex editor only the height changes but not the width...rather strange despite making sure I change the height as well.You think its locked on purpose?

You said that you found low res grey texture as a specular? Maybe they took a note of how the consoles used to do it, fake specular to some extent by using a low res texture and apply to the model using enviorment mapping(I think they took that approach for sure on a couple of the creatures of the 1st laxelore for example the shiny gel monster whose name I cant recall).I think the extra light sheen on the armor might be just "baked"/dawn into texture when the artist made them?

Faked specular maybe similar to how this guy did fake rim lighting?
bobbman - Laxe Lore [aka modified Priston Tale engine] - RaGEZONE Forums

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Depends what you when you say have my rendering setting been turned down.But yea I find that trying to go the graphics setting crashes, then if the game starts full it looks glitched(for me a at least), then to top it off when I close it, it changes my desktop resolution to whatever the default resolution for the game was(in this case 1024x900 i think).
Legend of the Ring\data\config\client.conf
Code:
fullscreen    0
will give window mode and stop the desktop res change.
Code:
width        1024
height        768
bitsperpel    32
frequency    60
Are the display settings, so you could just set them to your dekstop resolution, or monitor native res.

All the other settings which used to be in the little GUI are in here too.
Code:
texturemode    32
light        1
model        2
shadow        2
texture        2
weather        1
control        1
viewrange    80
sound        1
music        0
soundvolume    255
musicvolume    0
is what mine says right now... I don't think it's the best, but I haven't figured out what the limits are.
So I had to change to windowed mode through a hex editor,but If i try to change the resolution through a hex editor only the height changes but not the width...rather strange despite making sure I change the height as well.You think its locked on purpose?
It is now... it wasn't when we first downloaded the client.
You said that you found low res grey texture as a specular?
Low contrast, (mostly RGB 128,128,128) not low res. They are the same resolution as the light map.
Maybe they took a note of how the consoles used to do it, fake specular to some extent by using a low res texture and apply to the model using enviorment mapping(I think they took that approach for sure on a couple of the creatures of the 1st laxelore for example the shiny gel monster whose name I cant recall).I think the extra light sheen on the armor might be just "baked"/dawn into texture when the artist made them?
It is... from PT1, but Lax and LROL have true Specular maps... there just aren't many meshes that really use it... yet.

I got in game today... made a noob, killed three Rabie things and came back to town as I was low on health... seemed to get PK'ed and couldn't res, logged out and now I can't get back in. XD

Maybe I was banned. IDK.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
@bobsobol
Your not banned.I noticed that for me the game starts at 2 am est then they close around 12:30 noon.So you probably logged in as they closed.I havent been home today so I cant check till now if its running.If your online maybe you see me running about iam accel1.Also its kinda annoying how the exp is pretty low.Also is it me or you cant customize your own stats?

Edit : they added their schedule on the page. For me its equivalent to 2 am to 12 noon sunday to thursday, fri-sat 2am to 2 pm

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this is if it's not "lens flare" XD

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Slightly bemused why the PT 3D people haven't taken up some of these resources... so here's an example I threw together.

The first 4 NPCs from the LaxeLore data folder as .ASE files... no textures yet, and I'm not sure animation is there, but the bones are.

> <

As I say, I'm no good at 3D and had to "borrow" a copy of 3D Studio from a friend, as it's useless in my hands, except to export a .ASE file.

At this stage I could just as easily export a 3DS or something if that's easier to work with... I have no idea, but... come on modellers... Tell me what else you need so we can put these NPCs / Monsters etc into our PT servers, and I'll see if I can't get them out to Max for you. XD

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Slightly bemused why the PT 3D people haven't taken up some of these resources... so here's an example I threw together.

The first 4 NPCs from the LaxeLore data folder as .ASE files... no textures yet, and I'm not sure animation is there, but the bones are.

> <

As I say, I'm no good at 3D and had to "borrow" a copy of 3D Studio from a friend, as it's useless in my hands, except to export a .ASE file.

At this stage I could just as easily export a 3DS or something if that's easier to work with... I have no idea, but... come on modellers... Tell me what else you need so we can put these NPCs / Monsters etc into our PT servers, and I'll see if I can't get them out to Max for you. XD

Iam just hobbyist when it comes to modeling.I can model similar to pt1 just fine and body model more complex similar to laxelore if not more complex but cant model complex faces/heads(curses).Then i suck at photoshop and dont understand uv mapping so IAm an utter noob,but still Ill give you an opinion. When i try to put things in an engine say like irrlicht engine(I find it easy to use but I dont know programming so meh) sometimes exporting to commenfile formats it doesnt show right(textures,out of place vertices)(though sometimes it does..), maybe you could provide the artist with plugins to export properly with less hassle on the programming side(are there no plugins to export to whatever pt1 uses?) so they can focus on the art side of it?

Edit:are the .ase models in laxelore from when they showed laxelore the first time around when it looked like it was using the pt1 engine(like from the very 1ST trailer) or just something unrelated?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
The ASE models ARE PT1 format... you don't need a plug-in to export .ASE files, you just need Max or Maya. That's why I've exported the NIF to ASE and provided the download above... if someone can get them into the game (aligned right) they will know what else they need... textures, presumably (and I'm working on that, if nothing else I can view them on screen so I can screen capture that and export it as TGA) and animations? (Net immense KFM files, how does animation work in ASE?) I don't think PT uses collision and physics data (which is in the NIFs) anything else?

I (and others) have explained how PT works with ASE meshes before... but not in this thread, so I'll try to be brief. PT client knows ASEs, and looks for ASEs... when it finds one, it converts it to a binary form which is quicker for the engine to read... like a cache file, it calls that file by the same name as the .ase with a .smd or .smb extension... then if you move or delete the .ase, when it can't find the .ase it will see if the cache file (.smd or .smb) is still there, and if it is, it will use that.

That's why I exported to .ase, but I don't know enough about it to know if what else modellers need. When I was taught 3D modelling, the "state of the art" was AutoCAD for DOS, and the aim of 3D modelling was always to produce clean technical drawings with exact measurements for parts explosions that engineers could use to manufacture goods.

If you wanted 3D to render to game "sprites" you used a ray tracer like POV-Ray or QRT since no graphics chip on the face of the planet could render 3D in real-time. XD

Reaction score
I am currently working with a friend to bring all of Laxe Lores weapons into Priston Tale :D

It's a lengthy process, but I'm getting faster at it. Hopefully soon I will have all the items PT-ready =D

Here is a teaser for you.

Here are the pt files, so you can test it out for yourself :p

^^ Sorry bout the link, it goes default to that ^^

Reaction score
A question about LaxeLore
This game still in beta or already finished?

problem >.<
I just can see the modules without texture. Can someone help?
I'm using NifsSkope

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well

After many weeks of work, its finally here!

Every single Laxe Lore weapon converted to work in PristonTale!

Zipped - ~50mb
UnZipped - ~130mb

Download Links:

About:
This project came about when Kenni and SunnyZ got together and decided to look through Laxe Lore's files. After a while they found out how to extract the model files and skins from Laxe Lore.
They were impressed with the weapons, so they decided to re-create every lost Laxe Lore weapon so that everyone could enjoy the awesome weapons in Pristontale!
(Laxe Lore was an abandoned game created by Yedang, it was basically Pristontale V1.5)

Bugs:
There are a few items with skinning problems, some parts are invisible or have boxes around em.
I think these very few items require TGA skins and working on with the 3d model, its being looked into. If there are any items that look a bit weird, or are held incorrectly in game please e-mail us at *******@iinet.net.au
This is only V1.0 of this release, so not everything is perfect, but its pretty darn close.

Credits:
This entire PristonTale weapon package was created by Kenni and SunnyZ with files copyrighted by Laxe Lore Yedang. By downloading and using this you agree copyright laws suck and should be ignored. All 3D Studio Max files have been included with this package so you can see exactly how to create your own weapons. If you decide to use or publish these files on your server no permission or credit is necessary, but it would be nice ^^ These files are for everyone to use in anyway they see fit, except blackmail, that's illegal.

And now for your enjoyment weapon previews!

Enjoy!
This wont be the last you'll see from us, much more to come :p
- Kenni & SunnyZ

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Bugs:
There are a few items with skinning problems, some parts are invisible or have boxes around em.
I think these very few items require TGA skins and working on with the 3d model, its being looked into.
If 2 TGA (as in, textures with alpha transparency) are used in a single mesh, there are limitations in the PT 3D game engine which make this look very ugly.

Laxe Lore uses sub-meshes, in NPCs, (I like Lax NPCs, and maps and haven't looked hard at weapons) but I noticed that they usually use a different mapping mesh on the same texture file... this isn't a requirement of the NIF format. If they started expanding their use of the full features of NIFs to combine multiple textures into one mesh, each with it's own transparency (let alone shine and glow) maps, these features will need to be "dumbed down" for PT, which does transparency badly, and uses a global shine value, not a shine texture.

Great work, and thanks for sharing these. :D:
A question about LaxeLore
This game still in beta or already finished?

Laxe Lore was the Beta for PT 2... and was Axed. So it's both Beta and Finished. "Legend of the Ring On-Line" is a re-incarnation of the old Laxe Lore code in a new game, moving away from it's PT legacy. Most PT people consider Laxe Lore to be much more in "the spirit of" Priston Tale than what was finally released as "Pritson Tale 2" (Second Enigma)

problem >.<
I just can see the modules without texture. Can someone help?
I'm using NifsSkope
NifSkope will display the textures, if you have fixed the headers (for both mesh and texture nifs) with the program I listed some pages back, and you are using a fairly recent version... there is one version of NifSkope that would export textures too!!! but the feature was buggy and was dropped, brought back in an unreleased version and then dropped again before release.

PyFFI is much more capable, but an arse to set up (Linux style dependencies with no RPM / DEB package to work it out for you on Windows) and the only GUI relies on a version of PyQT which is incompatible with any version of Python I can make PyFFI work on.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I decided to check a few things and found something interesting.On some english press pdf reveals that laxelore was sold to chinese developer called joysmart,joysmart plan is to make it popular in china then release it globally.The pdf is called loren.pdf

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
I have played Legend of the Ring... It's fun, but I can't read the Chinese, so I'm not sure what my quests are and don't get the game "lore".

I'm looking forward to an English version.

That document is updated from one I had as a Powerpoint presentation and auto-manually translated. XD

There are some "nice" features of LaxeLore that are missing in Legend of the Ring, and they are not allowed to officially use any of the PT Lore or branding, as that is already sold to the "Second Enigma" game. (which sux IMHO)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I have played Legend of the Ring... It's fun, but I can't read the Chinese, so I'm not sure what my quests are and don't get the game "lore".

I'm looking forward to an English version.

That document is updated from one I had as a Powerpoint presentation and auto-manually translated. XD

There are some "nice" features of LaxeLore that are missing in Legend of the Ring, and they are not allowed to officially use any of the PT Lore or branding, as that is already sold to the "Second Enigma" game. (which sux IMHO)

Iam looking forward to it as well.The only removed features I noticed were 3d portraits,Stat point distribution,1 or 2 classes were cut,slightly wonky camera.

I wouldnt say the original lore was sold to pt2.If I remember right laxelore was the transition to pt2.Pristontale being the human monster war thing, laxelore humans are starting to lose to the monsters/gods angry as humans and pt2 all being lost till they find the second enigma.

I hope they kept some of the orginal maps like spirit island and the other two.They were actually better than the current maps.I wonder what caused them to give up on laxelore,even in 2008 they were still working with yetime to release it.

EDIT:bobsobol,do you think you could upload the very last laxelore client that was at magic biz?(it had some log files,meant for the press)I had on another harddrive but sadly it went bye bye.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
From this link to be exact: (offline now)

Could you upload that one if you want?

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
By Lore I mean "game lore" or "history, places, names etc" like Star Wars lore = Wookies, Jedi, Sith, Tuscan Raiders etc. Ultima lore = The Avatar, the Guardian, Lord British, Britania, Thepa, Gargish Runes etc. Warcraft lore = Azeroth, Horde and Alliance, Night Elves, Blood Elves, The Frozen Throne, The Maelstrom and the Dark Portal etc.

I do NOT Laxe Lore. I just mean that Legend of the Ring is re-branded because all the names will have to change to disenfranchise it as being connected to Priston Land. (Like, we all know "Independence Day" is a contemporary interpretation of H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds", and Star Wars is a re-write of Frank Herberts "Dune", they just change all the names and mix everything up. Officially, there is nothing to bridge the gap between PT and "Second Enigma". "Second Enigma" is PT 2, and there is nothing in-between.

Unofficially "Laxe Lore", and "Legend of the Ring" are much closer relations to PT than "Second Enigma".

And I only have two copys of "Laxe Lore". Dated 2008-12-15 (update patched), and the original installer created 2007-3-6 and posted in this thread already... but I'll re upload if the link is dead, or I'm mistaken.

The updater still works... somewhat.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
By Lore I mean "game lore" or "history, places, names etc" like Star Wars lore = Wookies, Jedi, Sith, Tuscan Raiders etc. Ultima lore = The Avatar, the Guardian, Lord British, Britania, Thepa, Gargish Runes etc. Warcraft lore = Azeroth, Horde and Alliance, Night Elves, Blood Elves, The Frozen Throne, The Maelstrom and the Dark Portal etc.

I do NOT Laxe Lore. I just mean that Legend of the Ring is re-branded because all the names will have to change to disenfranchise it as being connected to Priston Land. (Like, we all know "Independence Day" is a contemporary interpretation of H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds", and Star Wars is a re-write of Frank Herberts "Dune", they just change all the names and mix everything up. Officially, there is nothing to bridge the gap between PT and "Second Enigma". "Second Enigma" is PT 2, and there is nothing in-between.

Unofficially "Laxe Lore", and "Legend of the Ring" are much closer relations to PT than "Second Enigma".

And I only have two copys of "Laxe Lore". Dated 2008-12-15 (update patched), and the original installer created 2007-3-6 and posted in this thread already... but I'll re upload if the link is dead, or I'm mistaken.

The updater still works... somewhat.

I know you meant that kinda lore,thats why I said its a transition/middle ground between pt1 and pt2,maybe I phrased it wrong.

Yea, the link died( ).I would appreciate if you can reupload it,the press version that has all kinds of logs and the 3d login screen.Since my hdd died thats the only one iam missing.

On another note I have to say joysmart is rather careless,they keep site that the patcher uses update viewable by anyone(link ).Strange enough they have an update dated june 22nd of this year,well over the beta period that finished around may 23 2010.Since its inaccessible iam guessing this what they are working on?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Okay... it's uploading now, I'll leave that going over night as it's a big file.

The final install should be v1.20.537 dated Dec 2008... which is interesting as the update link you point to is referring to 01.01.00x in Jun 2010. -.^

Reaction score
I have two version of LaxeLore. One that's an original installer unknown version (392mb) the PTGameD.exe file was created 3rd may 2007

And I also have the RAR'd one from Version 1.0.337 (708mb) the PtGameD.exe file was created 15th may 2008

I will upload them as well, more mirrors are better than none =D

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thank you both bobsobol and sungam3d,the more the better.I uploaded a little something.Its a collection of laxelore pics, alot of them believe it or not are rather rare.Its not much but its showed how the game evolved over time(alot!).

Link:

The folders include:

Veryearlyalpha:pictures of laxelore when its base used to be pristontale 1 graphics.28 pics.(interesting how it began)

Yedangshot[prealpha]:korean Yedang released shots before the global based beta took place.31 pics

Alpha:Screenshots taken by players during the global beta.(makes me nostalgic,reminds of a guy whos ign was tic tac,he wanted to create a laxelore server)38 pics

Yetimeshot[china]:Screenshots of a Chinese translated version by yetime before it was transformed into legend of the rings online.40 pic

Wallpaper:Official laxelore wallpapers.9 pics

conceptart:Official laxelore concept art of characters,monsters,npc.11

classemblem:contains the emblem of all classes.8 pic

PCcharacters:Shows player characters both classes male and female,as well a the chinese description of all classes.

otherart: 3d renders,announcement banner,logo art and so on.

E3-2006:Laxelore at e3 2006...

Last edited:
Back