Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How to edit map object model texture?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello all, i am currently working on importing a object model into the map using rMap. I have sized it and have created a texture wrap image but i am unsure how to apply it.

For weapon models i was able to apply it by using ryl coder and opening up file but for map object models?

For now i am not even trying to classify it as "House" due to the extra OCT file

Here in photo 1 is a original model "box" with its textured view
In photo 2 it is my new object model, but i am unsure how to link the model to texture

EDIT: ok so i have found the attached files that are used located in texture>object and lowtexture>object but i am still lost at where to find the file to draw its texture function
NsJNq5R - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

ksmNBBT - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

d
Anyone have knowledge in this?

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello all, i am currently working on importing a object model into the map using rMap. I have sized it and have created a texture wrap image but i am unsure how to apply it.

For weapon models i was able to apply it by using ryl coder and opening up file but for map object models?

For now i am not even trying to classify it as "House" due to the extra OCT file

Here in photo 1 is a original model "box" with its textured view
In photo 2 it is my new object model, but i am unsure how to link the model to texture

EDIT: ok so i have found the attached files that are used located in texture>object and lowtexture>object but i am still lost at where to find the file to draw its texture function
NsJNq5R - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

ksmNBBT - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

d
Anyone have knowledge in this?

I guess you are trying to import/edit .R3S files.
The texture of the mesh is referenced inside the .R3S file. Open it up via hex-editor and in the 1st line is the texture. They end with .bmp but the file ending is overwritten in the game with .dds

Attachments

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
really appreciate the help bonekrasher

After yesterday not figuring the issue i spent some time research and i discover some old forum posts in here and learnt about the r3s files and hex editor. Now i have been able to edit and successfully load into game :).

Currently this is just a "object" so this means i am able to just walk right through the model,

My next step is to make it a "house" type object which would have a .skel type file associated so there is proper walls. Any quick tips on "house" object modelling?

fXMR708 - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
really appreciate the help bonekrasher

After yesterday not figuring the issue i spent some time research and i discover some old forum posts in here and learnt about the r3s files and hex editor. Now i have been able to edit and successfully load into game :).

Currently this is just a "object" so this means i am able to just walk right through the model,

My next step is to make it a "house" type object which would have a .skel type file associated so there is proper walls. Any quick tips on "house" object modelling?

fXMR708 - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

"Houses" are just objects stored together with its .oct files.
They have the same name and the .oct files provide collision polygons.
This could be your next step.

Some objects do have an .skel file and .ani files associated with it, this was part of the Siege Feature, that was never proplery thought out or finished. Some castles could be triggered to close their doors etc.

Attachments

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
UPDATE:

ok so i spent a bit of spare time to continue trying, from further research it seems that not all models have a corresponding .oct file, as if we look into the ryl>obj>objects folder those models do not have a .oct related file. Yet in game they still appear as solid objects

(i will update with pictures once i reach home)

So that makes me think that the models were solid meshed and converted into the z3ms format. I tried today, made a .obj model and using blender solidfy i made the mesh solid. Yet in game it still does not prevent me from walking through it.

I also tried some other method like collision mesh but that just end up crashing my game and not working.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello, nice research!

As you have seen theres no .oct files for everything (models/houses e other things) but, i THINK they (youxiland) have handle this 'issue' by doing a manually addiction of collision on map, if you look for some objects in rMap you may see that some houses and rocks seems to be filled by a invisible object (collision) to prevent people walking through it.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
ok guys i did more research! still not achieved collision but i think i making progress

As mentioned before the issue was no collision (see photo 1), what you mention Strudi " if you look for some objects in rMap you may see that some houses and rocks seems to be filled by a invisible object (collision) to prevent people walking through it." is a an option i have thought about doing, it would be ok for smaller simple objects however for larger custom objects it would be very time consuming

From bonekrasher quote "
They have the same name and the .oct files provide collision polygons."

So now i spent time further searching .oct file and i have made some progress about this file
Basically we can develop a .oct from a model by using a program tool called "Radiance" (
https://www.radiance-online.org/) and by doing a few steps

Firstly we have a .obj model
Next we need to use the obj2rad tool, this will convert our model into a rad file (photo 2)
Finally we need to use the oconv tool, which will generate a oct file (i am doing this step now)

There is a youtube video of this application obj2rad and oconv being done (not a lot of videos on it and he speaks arabic) but we can still gather some information link =
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX88uigbP1A

So now i will try make a oct file for the model and then test to see if that makes the object have collision

CM2yOIf - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

UYK8G5h - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

ViAe5cq - How to edit map object model texture? - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

Reaction score
You should get hands on the source code and check the file load functions.
.oct files are basically the lowest type of models.
Just 3 Vectors for each position in the collision mesh.
I think it will save you alot of time.
Just remember that RYL/ROW is left handed based and y & z are swapped on popular programs.

You can create easily some editors/loaders from the source, since you can basically load all information like the engine does.

If you have any questions just ask me.
I'm coding an engine based on DX11 with the formats used in RYL/ROW,
so we could save some time and provide some stuff for the community!

Back