• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Running RYL in a virtual machine

yuk

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the RYL client to work either in a virtual machine or wine.

When I try it in wine I just get the "Import Error" "failed to load module ijl15.dll".

When I try it in a virtual machine, I tried both virtual box and QEMU (virt-manager,) I get the error "No devices support hardware." when opening the config, and then in the config I can't select a resolution. When I then try to start the game, the screen just goes black, and the pointer changes to the RYL styled one, but the login screen never appears.

I'm using a Windows XP SP3 VM.

I have tried updating directx.

I have installed guest additions.

Has anybody managed to get RYL client to work in a virtual machine? If so can you post your setup? :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
you anti virus maybe your problem try to turn it off again and recover the dll on the right path

yuk

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks but I've got no antivirus, neither on the host nor the guest.

yuk

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Ok I got it working in VirtualBox by installing guest additions WITH 3d acceleration (still on Windows XP SP3.) This requires rebooting windows in safe mode before installing the guest additions, and then manually selecting to also add the 3d acceleration. Then in virtualbox on the host you also have to find the option to turn it on. The game then starts and works, but is very laggy. I have not been able to get it to work without lagging. I think using it with KVM with GPU passthrough would probably work, but my hardware doesn't support it so I can't try.

Back