Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Please some tips

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi, im planing on open a public pw 1.5.1 private server(as a web developer i have some reasonable knowledge in java/ror/php and linux environment, and already did alot of research about editing and in this matter i think everything is fine), the question is i know there are some things i would probably learn just from experience but im afraid of results from that like server crashing, game database integrity, wrong backups, etc. :mellow:

So i would like to ask if the experienceds in private servers development here could give me some tips about keeping the game database safe/whole, things that could break the server while in production(specially the if malicious ppl could intentionally use it), best practices, etc.

For example im planing on use this as a cronjob every 6~ hours and im not sure if the correct way or if it could damage in any way the game database considering the server will be online:

Code:
TIMESTAMP=`date +%s`
mkdir -p /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/databases/
cp -R /home/gamedbd/ /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/databases/
cp -R /home/uniquenamed/ /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/databases/
mysqldump -u user -p pass --verbose --routines site > /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/site.sql
mysqldump -u user -p pass --verbose --routines server > /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/server.sql
tar -cjvf /opt/backups/"$TIMESTAMP"_compressed.tar.bz2 /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/
rm -rf /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/

and maybe this every night(not sure if needed or could cause any harm, but i would keep this for like 2~ days in another drive):

Code:
TIMESTAMP=`date +%s`
tar -cjvf /opt/backups/"$TIMESTAMP"_full_compressed.tar.bz2 /opt/home/

Another question is that im probably going with OVH for the dedicated initially(maybe if it gets bigger later hyperfilter), is it good for PW servers(latency, ddos protection, stability...)?

I would really appreciate any info regarding production servers. :p:

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks whoami, as long as i can keep this kind of information on mysql i'll probably make my own scripts. Btw im importing gamedb data using pwadmin for now(it says thats not good to import while server running) for that and tbh i wouldn't want to put it on the production server, so what would be the best way to keep the mysql roles up to date?

Upvote 0
RaGEZONE Sponsor
RaGEZONE Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi, im planing on open a public pw 1.5.1 private server(as a web developer i have some reasonable knowledge in java/ror/php and linux environment, and already did alot of research about editing and in this matter i think everything is fine), the question is i know there are some things i would probably learn just from experience but im afraid of results from that like server crashing, game database integrity, wrong backups, etc. :mellow:

So i would like to ask if the experienceds in private servers development here could give me some tips about keeping the game database safe/whole, things that could break the server while in production(specially the if malicious ppl could intentionally use it), best practices, etc.

For example im planing on use this as a cronjob every 6~ hours and im not sure if the correct way or if it could damage in any way the game database considering the server will be online:

Code:
TIMESTAMP=`date +%s`
mkdir -p /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/databases/
cp -R /home/gamedbd/ /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/databases/
cp -R /home/uniquenamed/ /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/databases/
mysqldump -u user -p pass --verbose --routines site > /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/site.sql
mysqldump -u user -p pass --verbose --routines server > /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/server.sql
tar -cjvf /opt/backups/"$TIMESTAMP"_compressed.tar.bz2 /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/
rm -rf /opt/backups/$TIMESTAMP/

and maybe this every night(not sure if needed or could cause any harm, but i would keep this for like 2~ days in another drive):

Code:
TIMESTAMP=`date +%s`
tar -cjvf /opt/backups/"$TIMESTAMP"_full_compressed.tar.bz2 /opt/home/

Another question is that im probably going with OVH for the dedicated initially(maybe if it gets bigger later hyperfilter), is it good for PW servers(latency, ddos protection, stability...)?

I would really appreciate any info regarding production servers. :p:

You can start with us even when you are small, using our micro packages (remote protection service) :

So you can upgrade your package as you grow, making it flexible based on your project size :)

Upvote 0
Back