Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Best Way to Shutdown server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi guys, i need disconnect all online players before shutdown server.
How can I do this in the best way?

Ty and sorry for bad english.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
drop connections to port 29000~29003 (glink 1 to 4) for a few minutes so everyone gets disconnected first.
(That way server will save the user data first on user disconnect)

Once you are sure everyone has been disconnected, just kill the services.

Upvote 0
Shh, quiet, you might piss somebody off
Developer
Reaction score
drop connections to port 29000~29003 (glink 1 to 4) for a few minutes so everyone gets disconnected first.
(That way server will save the user data first on user disconnect)

Once you are sure everyone has been disconnected, just kill the services.

i get rollback from users by this method, not sure if is effective

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
i get rollback from users by this method, not sure if is effective

well yeah any action after connections get blocked or after last automated char save gets rolled back I suppose.
Safest way is probably broadcast server is shutting down, let everyone manually disconnect.

Every other way is basically killing off all the servers with pkill

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shh, quiet, you might piss somebody off
Developer
Reaction score
well yeah any action after connections get blocked or after last automated char save gets rolled back I suppose.
Safest way is probably broadcast server is shutting down, let everyone manually disconnect.

Every other way is basically killing off all the servers with pkill

maybe blocking ports in iptables is the best way to get everybody disconnect, since will force people to close the port to the server without kill any service of the game

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
maybe blocking ports in iptables is the best way to get everybody disconnect, since will force people to close the port to the server without kill any service of the game

that was basically what i ment to say in my first comment, block ports 29000~29003 in iptables and disconnect people that way yeah.
(Its what I've done for years, never seemed to cause rollbacks) Just might take up to 5 mins before everyone is actually disconnected and the dbserver has saved all the last changes.

So best solution is probably to just block those ports for 5~10 mins to drop everyone off the server, then you can kill off the maps and everything else without the risk of losing data.

Upvote 0
Back