Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Required specs

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this section and I want to know the minimum and maximum pc specs required here.

Please answer. :thumbup:

PW Dev <3
Reaction score
16 gb RAM.
100 MBPS up/down for good results.
Don't get a dinosaur processor.
50gb+ hard drive.

With that, you should be good.

Reaction score
Requisite / Specifications are actually (for the most part) pretty "loose".

• RAM (with NO MORE than a 1:1 ratio of SWAP)
    • 16GB/+ -- FULL SERVER
    • 6GB -- WORLD MAP + 1
    • 4GB -- WORLD MAP ONLY
  • BANDWIDTH
    • As fast as you can get, there is NO such thing as too fast!
    • 100/100 -- for a decent sized "public" server [of ~1600 simultaneous connections]
    • 24/4 (DSL/cable) -- for a small server [of ~64 simultaneous connections]
  • HDD
    • 1TB -- 1,000,000 accounts (8,000,000 characters)
    • 1GB -- 1,000 accounts (8,000 characters)
    • 1MB -- 1 account (8 characters)
  • CPU
    • INTEL or AMD
    • As long as it was manufactured in or after the year 2008
    • As long as it was manufactured in or after the year 2005

See below for a better description of recommended specs:

The primary and MOST important factor (even if you're planning on just 'messing around' with this all by yourself) is * RAM *! To run all instances simultaneously (for my release anyway) you will need an absolute minimum of 16GB of ram. I would even venture to recommend 32GB of physical ram. Of course if you were just 'messing around' you wouldn't absolutely need to open all maps simultaneously, however of course it still makes life easier than having to open and close maps all the time while you're 'playing around'. I think the bare minimum amount of ram I would recommend for opening only the 'world' map would be 4GB of ram.

The second most important thing, if you're looking to host a server for others to play on anyway would be - * BANDWIDTH/SPEEDS *! Of course this is dependent on how many people you desire to be able to facilitate. If you want to 'throw up a server' for a few of your friends and yourself to play on, a 'good' residential connection will suffice. However, if you would be looking to open an actual 'public' (private) server, almost no residential based service would suffice (in the US anyway). For a 'full fledged' "public" server I would recommend no less than 100/100 (up/down links respectively) with no monthly traffic limits. For a small time, friends only style server of say, only 50 people, a 'standard' (US) residential DSL/cable connection of 24-down/4-up should do just fine. Of course the uplink is slightly more important when the issue is servers, you may even be able to get away with something like 75 people on a 4-up connection. I still have not personally tested these bandwidth estimates myself I am merely going off of information found in this section.

I would personally have to say the next and third most important thing would be your * HDD *!. Granted all of the 'necessary' info stored does not take up a lot of space (I have personally tested this one), I would recommend to a-lot no less than 1 MB per account (or per 8 characters) -or- 1 GB per 1,000 ACCOUNTS/8,000chars -or- 1 TB per 1,000,000 ACCOUNTS/8,000,000chars.

* CPU *! is actually last on my list, as long as it's not from 1980 it should do just fine. I have ran my full server on a dual core AMD ~ clock speed only like 1.8 GHz, so CPU really is no where near as important as RAM, Bandwidth, and free HDD space! You would be safe as long as the CPU was made in or after 2008, may even be able to use something as old as a 2005 'model' (since PW first came out in 2005).

PW Dev <3
Reaction score

• 16GB/+ -- FULL SERVER
    • 6GB -- WORLD MAP + 1
    • 4GB -- WORLD MAP ONLY
  • BANDWIDTH
    • 100/100 -- for a decent sized "public" server [of ~1600 simultaneous connections]
  • HDD
  • CPU
    • INTEL or AMD

The primary and MOST important factor (even if you're planning on just 'messing around' with this all by yourself) is * RAM *! To run all instances simultaneously (for my release anyway) you will need an absolute minimum of 16GB of ram. I would even venture to recommend 32GB of physical ram. Of course if you were just 'messing around' you wouldn't absolutely need to open all maps simultaneously, however of course it still makes life easier than having to open and close maps all the time while you're 'playing around'. I think the bare minimum amount of ram I would recommend for opening only the 'world' map would be 4GB of ram.

The second most important thing, if you're looking to host a server for others to play on anyway would be - * BANDWIDTH/SPEEDS *! Of course this is dependent on how many people you desire to be able to facilitate. If you want to 'throw up a server' for a few of your friends and yourself to play on, a 'good' residential connection will suffice. However, if you would be looking to open an actual 'public' (private) server, almost no residential based service would suffice (in the US anyway). For a 'full fledged' "public" server I would recommend no less than 100/100 (up/down links respectively) with no monthly traffic limits. For a small time, friends only style server of say, only 50 people, a 'standard' (US) residential DSL/cable connection of 24-down/4-up should do just fine. Of course the uplink is slightly more important when the issue is servers, you may even be able to get away with something like 75 people on a 4-up connection. I still have not personally tested these bandwidth estimates myself I am merely going off of information found in this section.

I would personally have to say the next and third most important thing would be your * HDD *!. Granted all of the 'necessary' info stored does not take up a lot of space (I have personally tested this one), I would recommend to a-lot no less than 1 MB per account (or per 8 characters) -or- 1 GB per 1,000 ACCOUNTS/8,000chars -or- 1 TB per 1,000,000 ACCOUNTS/8,000,000chars.

* CPU *! is actually last on my list, as long as it's not from 1980 it should do just fine. I have ran my full server on a dual core AMD ~ clock speed only like 1.8 GHz, so CPU really is no where near as important as RAM, Bandwidth, and free HDD space! You would be safe as long as the CPU was made in or after 2008, may even be able to use something as old as a 2005 'model' (since PW first came out in 2005).

^ exactly what he said.

//There goes 343 making my post looking short D:

Viva la Vida
Reaction score
RAM (with NO MORE than a 1:1 ratio of SWAP)
16GB/+ -- FULL SERVER
6GB -- WORLD MAP + 1
4GB -- WORLD MAP ONLY

Personally if there are only a few people playing, I can manage world + about 10 maps on 4GB RAM but it isn't ideal at all and if you get more people online it isn't going to work but if it is just a server for you and a few friends it should be ok

My virtual test server also only has 2GB RAM and I can run the world + around 2 maps but only with me online

Also, something that I don't think has been mentioned yet,
DO NOT USE AN EDITION OF LINUX THAT HAS A GUI!
It will make your server unstable and use up more system resources

Use a server edition, I recommend Ubuntu Server Edition

Lastly, if you want to run more than 4GB of RAM get a x64 bit processor and x64 bit operating system

PW Dev <3
Reaction score
Personally if there are only a few people playing, I can manage world + about 10 maps on 4GB RAM but it isn't ideal at all and if you get more people online it isn't going to work but if it is just a server for you and a few friends it should be ok

My virtual test server also only has 2GB RAM and I can run the world + around 2 maps but only with me online

Also, something that I don't think has been mentioned yet,
DO NOT USE AN EDITION OF LINUX THAT HAS A GUI!
It will make your server unstable and use up more system resources

Use a server edition, I recommend Ubuntu Server Edition

Lastly, if you want to run more than 4GB of RAM get a x64 bit processor and x64 bit operating system

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64x is the server edition to get.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ozuru that's interesting.

I personally prefer OpenSuse Linux.
All three of my servers are running it.:wink:

Guess it depends greatly on what the server is being used for.
I run all from console prompt.:blush:

Then again, the most players I have on are about 6 to 7.
My job doesn't give me time to watch the server logs and monitor players often.:(: IT has it's pros and cons.:huh:

Maybe when I get some time off I'll try an Unbuntu setup.

Still good ideas!:thumbup1:

Later,
Xavier

PW Dev <3
Reaction score
Ozuru that's interesting.

I personally prefer OpenSuse Linux.
All three of my servers are running it.:wink:

Guess it depends greatly on what the server is being used for.
I run all from console prompt.:blush:

Then again, the most players I have on are about 6 to 7.
My job doesn't give me time to watch the server logs and monitor players often.:(: IT has it's pros and cons.:huh:

Maybe when I get some time off I'll try an Unbuntu setup.

Still good ideas!:thumbup1:

Later,
Xavier

I've just used ubuntu all the time.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
(for anyone looking for 1.4.4 specs, rule of thumb, DOUBLE these specs)
  • RAM -- 32GB/+ (NO less)(with NO MORE than a 1:1 ratio of SWAP)
  • BANDWIDTH -- 100/100 or faster
  • HDD -- 1TB per 500,000 accounts or 4,000,000 characters

I have a 1.4.4 server, 24GB RAM and I can run every map.
Although I guess 32GB RAM would be preferable...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
so lets say i wanted to run a live server with world only and only me and 1 friend playing would 1.2down and 0.17 up suffice without major lag (ps. i have 4 gb ram)

• 16GB/+ -- FULL SERVER
    • 6GB -- WORLD MAP + 1
    • 4GB -- WORLD MAP ONLY
  • BANDWIDTH
  • HDD
  • CPU
    • INTEL or AMD

Back