Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Critique] Personal Portfolio

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Nice and simplistic. Might want to add a gradient fading into white on top?
Thank you! I think I'm going to add a light pattern to the background, one that's hard to notice but adds a new sort of feel to the website, if that makes sense?

By changing text, it already looks better ..
Good! I thought it added a lighter feel to the website :)

There isn't such a thing, anti aliasing is a matter of OS and browser. You can use CSS3's text shadow to make it look antialiased, but it also makes it look blury. There are certain fonts that are antialiased almost everywhere(they use one at for example)

What I would do, if I were you, is increasing the size of the first headline and lowering of the sub headline, to make it look like this for example

Then the picture there.. I suppose that there will be more pictures, so make some sort of fancy slider.

..and one designer's rule.. the smaller logo the better, this is way too big.

Thank you for the feedback foxx, interesting to hear about the anti aliasing. Regards to the picture, on the actual website I have several images already within a slider. So that's already taken care of!

With regards to the logo, that won't be my main logo, at the moment that is just the text I have in the <h1></h1> tag; I'm going to create a small logo, I've already got a few ideas in my head!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Here's a preview of my final design,

MattehCarter - [Critique] Personal Portfolio - RaGEZONE Forums

ex visor
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I love the finished product, though the middle image seems off-centered, but I'm sure you'll fix that.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
try to add social connections? facebook, twitter, etc... also the slide image, it doesn't really go well with the website, try to change it...
the website is really good. keep it up.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I love the finished product, though the middle image seems off-centered, but I'm sure you'll fix that.

I can see what you mean about how the image looks off-center, I think it's because of how I cropped the image; it looks fine on the website :)

try to add social connections? facebook, twitter, etc... also the slide image, it doesn't really go well with the website, try to change it...
the website is really good. keep it up.

If you look at the footer, I have social connections added.

The slide image is just a place holder at the moment, I'm going to update it with some of my photography/work before release.

And thank you :)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, here's an update of my portfolio

As you can see, from the last design a lot of change has occurred! I decided to go with a lighter pattern for the footer background, and I also have a different pattern as my main background.
I have reduced the size of the footer, by limiting my twitter feed to three tweets. All links, when hovered over now turn blue (seen in the top navigation) this is to add some color to the portfolio. I've also changed the quote, and description, and curved the corners of the slider.

Oh, and, there's also been a big update in the coding structure of my portfolio. I've cleaned up the HTML and CSS code. One main way in which I have done this is by replacing '<div class="clear"></div>' elements with a CSS pseudo class.

SK CREATIONS
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, here's an update of my portfolio

Grey Line[top of design]
A good idea would be to use the same blue between the clipping triangles or the same patter in the footer.

Logo,
I have noticed the text on the logo seems very choopy and could do with some cleaning up. If you are using just text for the logo I would suggest an image instead. The logo is one of your main points and it sells you as as designer. If a client can see that your own logo is not done properly it will make them think twice about using you.

Navigation,
The navigation is simple but the text used has no similarity in the rest of the design there for standing out from the basic clean style. Try using the same font but not using bold [if you are using bold] Making the text thinner will help it to match the rest of the text in the design.

Header Text,
The text is nice but again you are not likely to change this so why not simply use a simple png image. It will mean the text is crisp and has no choopy edges. That or you may wish to use jquery or other possible options such as html5 to increase the quality,

Header Image,
The image is fine but I wonder if your going to have just one image or a multipul rotating. Then I have to ask how will you add the ability for the user to change what image panel is currently showing.

Sub Header Icons,
The icons do not match each other and they again do match the rest of the design. Create some custome icons or use a proper set. Something like iconsweets would work. Try to keep all aspects similar and inline.

Sub Text,
The text is about 2-3 pixels to large depending on what font you are using. Try making the text smaller [smaller than the sub header text]. This will make the sub header text stand out more and make the text clearer to read. Remember if people want the text larger they can do it via there browser.

Footer,
The footer why nice has a number of isssues.

1: The first noticable part is that the clipping [the triangle border] does not overlap the footer background and there is a plain blue background inbetween. Using a png image would fix this and also would not cause the amount of data to increase.

2: The next issue is the footer sections do not allign with the rest of the the website. The social area leaves a large gap to the right ofsetting the rest of the design. Also you may way to add a bit of lighting [soft glow] to give the footer more depth.

3: Contact Info really should stand out slightly more than the rest of the footer text. Try using a slight blue hue or using a bold setting on the font.

Back