Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Thoughts on design? Part 2

Reaction score
Hello,

I've started the web design journey about exactly 1 year from today.

Previous thread is still visible in this section but here's the link: http://forum.ragezone.com/f759/design-1099744/

1 year ago:
kFNy3Ot - Thoughts on design? Part 2 - RaGEZONE Forums

1 year later:

KmQbqdV - Thoughts on design? Part 2 - RaGEZONE Forums

Anyhow, I still have a lot to learn but any improvement is still improvement.
Next update will be June, 2018.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
Hello,
I've started the web design journey about exactly 1 year from today.

Previous thread is still visible in this section but here's the link: http://forum.ragezone.com/f759/design-1099744/

1 year ago:
kFNy3Ot - Thoughts on design? Part 2 - RaGEZONE Forums

1 year later:

KmQbqdV - Thoughts on design? Part 2 - RaGEZONE Forums

Anyhow, I still have a lot to learn but any improvement is still improvement.
Next update will be June, 2018.

Hi! Looks like an awesome result that you've made so far while only being in for like a year.
My question to you, did you follow any specific guides or so? I would like to get more into design as it would help delivering nicer programs.

Any feedback will be appriciated.

Attachments

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Doesn't look bad for one year into it :) Definitely keep on improving and learning new skills and you will eventually get better and better.

There are things that should be edited though and then it will look "better" (quite subjective obviously but I guess I should know what I am talking about). If you want I can help you a bit. Just an offer. Hit me up with the .psd and I'll make the changes and a documentation.

It can take a few weeks tho, because I'll need to do it in my free time some time soon.

Reaction score
Hi! Looks like an awesome result that you've made so far while only being in for like a year.
My question to you, did you follow any specific guides or so? I would like to get more into design as it would help delivering nicer programs.

Any feedback will be appriciated.

Thanks!

I've attempted to learn to design websites back in 2012 and people said I should just quit and give up.
Thread for reference: http://forum.ragezone.com/f245/green-gunz-website-v2-850345/

Of course, I took the comments to heart and I gave up but in 2016 I decided to start again in full force.

As for GUIDES

One thing that is pretty unfortunate is that it's not like a programming language where you can google solutions for code, find answers, tutorials and such.

I learned that pretty quickly. The only answers I was given was:
sketch the build of your homepage
work on your layer styles
placing
creativity
lotsa obvious things for photoshop users.
dats it

That's from a user from ragezone.
and thats what I did.

Here's an example of my starts:
kfTtDL - Thoughts on design? Part 2 - RaGEZONE Forums

and of course, look at good websites and try to learn from seeing.

Attachments

Slothstronaut
Reaction score
I personally really like it.

The colors are nice and it's nice and simple, nothing too intricate or distracting.

Keep it up! Can't wait to see some more :):

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Why did it take 1 year to complete to get where you are? Have you been doing this on and off?

It looks nice but thats because of the time it took. One important thing in web design is fast work flow

Reaction score
Why did it take 1 year to complete to get where you are? Have you been doing this on and off?

It looks nice but thats because of the time it took. One important thing in web design is fast work flow

Sort of confused by what your asking.

The design was made and completed within a few hours on the June 25th. .

I'm just saying it's been 1 year since I started taking web design more seriously.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
One important thing in web design is fast work flow

Sorry, but that's not right

Good things take time. We have some projects that take a few months until completion.
Obviously Strategy takes most of the time but Design should be taken seriously and a Website for a fortune 500 company should not be completed in one day. That's just not good.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Sorry, but that's not right

Good things take time. We have some projects that take a few months until completion.
Obviously Strategy takes most of the time but Design should be taken seriously and a Website for a fortune 500 company should not be completed in one day. That's just not good.

Didn't say a day. Of course it takes time if its a big project. But there are deadlines for projects. If you work for a company, theres no such thing as "taking your time". You're given a deadline, you finish it within that time. I work for a studio, and they refuse to hire people that can't work quickly. Just because it's done quick, doesn't mean it's not done professionally

It's probably different if you freelance in a group. You can set your own deadlines. But that won't work in a studio

@OP Sorry i misunderstood your "1 year later" part. You have improved, but your second image looks kinda messy. The login section completely ruins the flow of the website, it doesn't fit there. Also it would be good if you gave us a link to the website so we can test the functionality of it, pretty hard to give feedback for a website when all we have is an image. Unless this isn't a built website, only a .psd

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Didn't say a day. Of course it takes time if its a big project. But there are deadlines for projects. If you work for a company, theres no such thing as "taking your time". You're given a deadline, you finish it within that time. I work for a studio, and they refuse to hire people that can't work quickly.

Talented people can work quick and produce quality websites.

sorry, missunderstood you then. Deadlines have to be met obviously yes.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
sorry, missunderstood you then. Deadlines have to be met obviously yes.

"Obviously Strategy takes most of the time"

I do however completely agree with this. I personally work a lot faster if I have a solid plan in front of me. If there's no plan, I waste so much time experimenting and trying to make something work/look good. But anyway i'm going a little off topic.

Will be tracking this thread to see further progress :cool:

Reaction score
What I like about it (even with the first one) is that you have a clean and simple style. A lot of times when people start doing webdesigns, interfaces etc they go all out on sparkly, shiny, ''cool'' effects. Glad you didn't do so. Really digging the style.

Back