True MemberRank
    Aug 2010 Join Date
    JapanLocation
    697Posts

Showoff Thoughts on design? Part 2

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Hello,

I've started the web design journey about exactly 1 year from today.

Previous thread is still visible in this section but here's the link: Thoughts on design?

1 year ago:

1 year later:

Anyhow, I still have a lot to learn but any improvement is still improvement.
    Next update will be June, 2018.
    C/C++/PHP,OOP/MySQL/JS/HTML/HTML5/CSS/AJAX

ModeratorRank
    Jul 2013 Join Date
    BelguimLocation
    1,228Posts

Re: Thoughts on design? Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by WizCoder View Post
    Hello,
    Spoiler:

I've started the web design journey about exactly 1 year from today.

Previous thread is still visible in this section but here's the link: Thoughts on design?

1 year ago:

1 year later:

Anyhow, I still have a lot to learn but any improvement is still improvement.

Next update will be June, 2018.
    Hi! Looks like an awesome result that you've made so far while only being in for like a year.
    My question to you, did you follow any specific guides or so? I would like to get more into design as it would help delivering nicer programs.

Any feedback will be appriciated.

SubscriberRank
    Apr 2014 Join Date
    EverywhereLocation
    224Posts

Doesn't look bad for one year into it :) Definitely keep on improving and learning new skills and you will eventually get better and better.

There are things that should be edited though and then it will look "better" (quite subjective obviously but I guess I should know what I am talking about). If you want I can help you a bit. Just an offer. Hit me up with the .psd and I'll make the changes and a documentation.

It can take a few weeks tho, because I'll need to do it in my free time some time soon.

True MemberRank
    Aug 2010 Join Date
    JapanLocation
    697Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Hi! Looks like an awesome result that you've made so far while only being in for like a year.
    My question to you, did you follow any specific guides or so? I would like to get more into design as it would help delivering nicer programs.

Any feedback will be appriciated.
    Thanks!

I've attempted to learn to design websites back in 2012 and people said I should just quit and give up.
    Thread for reference: Green Gunz Website V2

Of course, I took the comments to heart and I gave up but in 2016 I decided to start again in full force.

As for GUIDES

One thing that is pretty unfortunate is that it's not like a programming language where you can google solutions for code, find answers, tutorials and such.

I learned that pretty quickly. The only answers I was given was:
    sketch the build of your homepage
    work on your layer styles
    placing
    creativity
    lotsa obvious things for photoshop users.
    dats it
    That's from a user from ragezone.
    and thats what I did.

Here's an example of my starts:

and of course, look at good websites and try to learn from seeing.

GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,206Posts

I personally really like it.

The colors are nice and it's nice and simple, nothing too intricate or distracting.

Keep it up! Can't wait to see some more

True MemberRank
    Apr 2011 Join Date
    417Posts

Why did it take 1 year to complete to get where you are? Have you been doing this on and off?

It looks nice but thats because of the time it took. One important thing in web design is fast work flow

Nothing is free! Stop trying to recruit developers without paying them

True MemberRank
    Aug 2010 Join Date
    JapanLocation
    697Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MUnoob View Post
    Why did it take 1 year to complete to get where you are? Have you been doing this on and off?

It looks nice but thats because of the time it took. One important thing in web design is fast work flow
    Sort of confused by what your asking.

The design was made and completed within a few hours on the June 25th. http://i.imgur.com/e2Rko3s.png .

I'm just saying it's been 1 year since I started taking web design more seriously.

SubscriberRank
    Apr 2014 Join Date
    EverywhereLocation
    224Posts

One important thing in web design is fast work flow
    Sorry, but that's not right

Good things take time. We have some projects that take a few months until completion.
    Obviously Strategy takes most of the time but Design should be taken seriously and a Website for a fortune 500 company should not be completed in one day. That's just not good.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2011 Join Date
    417Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaximus View Post
    Sorry, but that's not right

Good things take time. We have some projects that take a few months until completion.
    Obviously Strategy takes most of the time but Design should be taken seriously and a Website for a fortune 500 company should not be completed in one day. That's just not good.
    Didn't say a day. Of course it takes time if its a big project. But there are deadlines for projects. If you work for a company, theres no such thing as "taking your time". You're given a deadline, you finish it within that time. I work for a studio, and they refuse to hire people that can't work quickly. Just because it's done quick, doesn't mean it's not done professionally

It's probably different if you freelance in a group. You can set your own deadlines. But that won't work in a studio

@OP Sorry i misunderstood your "1 year later" part. You have improved, but your second image looks kinda messy. The login section completely ruins the flow of the website, it doesn't fit there. Also it would be good if you gave us a link to the website so we can test the functionality of it, pretty hard to give feedback for a website when all we have is an image. Unless this isn't a built website, only a .psd
    Last edited by MUnoob; 29-06-17 at 03:41 AM.

SubscriberRank
    Apr 2014 Join Date
    EverywhereLocation
    224Posts

Didn't say a day. Of course it takes time if its a big project. But there are deadlines for projects. If you work for a company, theres no such thing as "taking your time". You're given a deadline, you finish it within that time. I work for a studio, and they refuse to hire people that can't work quickly.

Talented people can work quick and produce quality websites.

sorry, missunderstood you then. Deadlines have to be met obviously yes.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2011 Join Date
    417Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaximus View Post
    sorry, missunderstood you then. Deadlines have to be met obviously yes.
    "Obviously Strategy takes most of the time"

I do however completely agree with this. I personally work a lot faster if I have a solid plan in front of me. If there's no plan, I waste so much time experimenting and trying to make something work/look good. But anyway i'm going a little off topic.

Will be tracking this thread to see further progress

ModeratorRank
    Sep 2009 Join Date
    StarLocation
    1,760Posts

What I like about it (even with the first one) is that you have a clean and simple style. A lot of times when people start doing webdesigns, interfaces etc they go all out on sparkly, shiny, ''cool'' effects. Glad you didn't do so. Really digging the style.

Gold SubscriberRank
    Jan 2013 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    488Posts

The colour Is rather fitting for the whole theme keep It up!
    The pressure of human nature does not equal the presence of human persistence.

MemberRank
    Jul 2017 Join Date
    France, meh.Location
    1Posts

The progress is astonishing. Good work.

Advertisement