Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Portfolio Website Design

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey there, I just recently finished my personal portfolio and I'm feeling a little iffy about it.
Could I get some feedback on what I should improve on here, or what I should fix?
I really would appreciate it!

Live Demo:

andytran - Portfolio Website Design - RaGEZONE Forums

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not bad, but it feels to me like so much out there. To me, portfolios should be a small, presentable piece of who you are, to visually communicate and engage with prospective clients at a glance. This just feels like a WP template, not that its a bad thing, but for a portfolio I wouldn't necessarily advise using it.

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty cookie cutter. What is the concept you are pushing with this? What are your strengths? Why would your services benefit me as a client?

Design, whether it be packaging, advertising, or web should be concept based, not simply visuals. Describe to me your unique attributes with the colours you pick, the layout you choose, and the typography you use.

Reaction score
I like the design, I looked through your others as well.

My only pet peeve is the designs seem so similar, there was a moment I thought I've seen these before.

Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me. A lot of my clients hardly know anything about web hosting or even web design. Having a portfolio that looks "similar" to other ones isn't really important. What is important is that you grab their attention and show them exactly why they need to pick you as their potential designer. The design overall does exactly that.

You should reword your introduction. Calling yourself "just a highschool student" doesn't cut it. You need people to be confident in your work. People don't think of high school kids when they think "confident" or "reliable". I'd also figure out some sort of background to put behind the text. Maybe just a dark rectangle with rounded corners to make it easier to read.

Last suggestion would be to have your work come up as javascript pop-ups, and not navigating away from your page. Most people want to see your overall design style, not your random flat navigation projects on a third party site. Although great to see, people come to you for complete website designs, not snippets of code (unless you're referencing your portfolio specifically for a developer position).

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Last suggestion would be to have your work come up as javascript pop-ups, and not navigating away from your page. Most people want to see your overall design style, not your random flat navigation projects on a third party site. Although great to see, people come to you for complete website designs, not snippets of code (unless you're referencing your portfolio specifically for a developer position).

I have to take a heavily-stanced 'no' against this. Everyone HATES pop-ups. If anything, keep it one page using AJAX to load your other pages in, but in no case should page content be in a pop-up. Unless I misinterpreted what you mean by 'pop-ups'.

Reaction score
I have to take a heavily-stanced 'no' against this. Everyone HATES pop-ups. If anything, keep it one page using AJAX to load your other pages in, but in no case should page content be in a pop-up. Unless I misinterpreted what you mean by 'pop-ups'.

Pop-up, as in jquery fancybox. I've found visitors prefer this than being directed to a new tab or website entirely.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Pop-up, as in jquery fancybox. I've found visitors prefer this than being directed to a new tab or website entirely.

Ah, you mean for showing sites you've done, fair enough, that could work then technically. I still like loading examples through AJAX because you can also have transitions on the <div> containing what is being included through AJAX, and they don't need to use a close button or click off to hide it, they can just use the rest of the page. Prevents one layer of connectivity that's unnecessary, ;).

Reaction score
Ah, you mean for showing sites you've done, fair enough, that could work then technically. I still like loading examples through AJAX because you can also have transitions on the <div> containing what is being included through AJAX, and they don't need to use a close button or click off to hide it, they can just use the rest of the page. Prevents one layer of connectivity that's unnecessary, ;).

Your idea still works a lot better than linking to an external site with examples. :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Pretty nice, the only thing I dislike is the navbar in it's non-fixed state. The transition to full width doesn't really work imho.
Other than that I like it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I like the ideas behind what you've created - but a bit of constructive criticism from my part;

OnePage designs are becoming more and more of a popular choice for companies out there, I get it, having a single page display information that everyone needs, rather than having to go through pages to find information, its just one long page. The idea behind it is great, but I think it's becoming too common of a website to really WOW someone.

To me, I'm looking at the items in your portfolio and your website itself, I feel like they're all the same. I mean, they look different, but they have the exact same functionality and design as all of your work has, and not just you, but everyone out there at the moment is doing the exact same thing - I think being unique is important. While you're great at what you do, my piece of advice is to do it, but add your own ideas and creativity to it, show people why they should hire you, and not the other guy they were looking at before they got to your website.

Also, i will have to agree with Soundwave, the navbar when it's not fixed at the top is rather big, and bulky, I'd make that smaller.

Reaction score
Looks nice.
A small reminder:
Use HTACCESS rules to prevent access for certain directories, like viewing the directories themselves, why? Because it seems like you have personal stuff that you don't want to be on the web.
What kind of stuff?
This kind (resized it so others wont see but you'll figure it out...):

What else can I find there? All this:

And some more...
Put more attention on security and privacy...

On topic
Looks great, especially your ESPN design.

By the way, the reason I digged up into your web server is because I really wanted to see the ESPN redesign but the link from your portfolio gives 404 error so I was really curious about the design so I checked up on your server (it is all accessible, publicly, did not hack into your server so don't worry lol).

Back