Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

The Difference Between the classic Horror / Modern Horror movies!

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm addicated to the horror movies myself , So i'd like to make a quite related post due to the difference between the Classic movies and modern ones

- What is the Difference between old and new Horror films?

The Old ones (black and white) left alot more to the Imagination the newer ones (Colour) are in

Old Movies are long the new movies are small the old has less fight and thrill while new has fightsWell, a classic horror movie was intended to scare more than to entertain i guess. The monsters werent too elaborate, and the movies not too high tech, but they kept you up at night. Modern horror movies are MOSTLY about loud noises, excessive nudity, and more action than anything, with a lack of ever really being scared.

the classic using real creatures and the modern using computer graphics.

also the classic stories is more believable.

The old, classic horror movies try to affect more psychological side of our personality. The new ones have a base on the optical side.

Whats your opinion about the difference between them yourself?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think the change isn't B&W to Colour, for a start off. Hammer Horror of the 50's and 60's followed most of those silver-screen traditions, though nudity did creep in. Other examples would include Misery, The Shining, the original Wicker Man, (ie. Edward Woodward, version) What Lies Beneath, Candyman and Skeleton Key. All fantastic horror of a more modern nature.

Much of what you are describing, to me, comes from the progression of Hammer Horror, through late 70's early 80's Friday 13th & Nightmare on Elm Street series of films, as well as Hellraiser and Stephen King screen-play versions into "Teen Horror". Then, that feeding back into mainstream horror.

I'd like to point out some other "generalisations". The original King Kong wasn't a real animal. He was clay-mation. Not computers, but still providing a brilliant impossible monster. The original "Fly" ended up using back-screening the actors head on to a real fly, and even Metropolis used special effects etched or burned into the film, and animatronics. Technologies may have changed, but smoke and mirrors is still smoke and mirrors. ;)

Fighting was never an option in recent films like The Blair Witch, The Hole, Bunker or The Cube. Well, okay, they could have fought in The Hole, if they knew who to fight. ^_^ (no spoilers XD) They also shot a lot of Nazi zombies in Bunker, but all to 0 effect, they don't even flinch even with a head-shot. (scary)

There are many more films made each year today than there where before colour, and many lower quality films of that era did not survive. There's a bigger hay stack to hunt through in order to find good horror, but it does still exist. IMHO. :)

Back