Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Online TV Network

How dedicated would you be to this idea?

• I wouldn't participate at all.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I would only participate while specific programs are airing. (<= 2 hours/week)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would be a regular viewer and participant.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I would be willing to be a broadcaster.

• I would want to be an organizer for the station (planning schedules, coordinating broadcasters)

• I would want to donate some resources (development, servers)

• Total voters
Ask me about Daoism
Reaction score
Hello /f767/

I was thinking about starting an internet streaming service that would operate a lot like an online, user-run Adult Swim. I noticed how much fun people seem to have when watching game streaming, and I wanted to have the same sort of fun when watching shows and movies together.

Right now this is just an idea, but I want to gauge interest for it. Here are a list of things I'd probably do:

• Allow community broadcasts
  • Web chat
  • Do a weekly movie screening
  • Binge-watching days (One/Two series streamed all day)
  • Community voting on future content and lineups
  • Original Programming: Game streaming (Maybe from RZTV if MentaL was cool with it), community-designed shows

Here's an initial planned list of content. These are all programs I enjoy (and highly recommend :), but are also filtered by their popularity and ratings.

Code:
Television:
Arrested Development
Bojack Horseman
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Hatufim
Code Monkeys
Nazi Hunters
WWII in Color
Family Guy
American Dad
Peep Show (?)
That Mitchell and Webb Look
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Dilbert
Cosmos (Sagan)
Comsos (Tyson)
30 Rock
Top Gear
Blue Mountain State
Frontline
Frasier
The Boondocks
Cheers
Star Trek
Star Trek: TNG
Battlestar Galactica (Original)
Battlestar Galactica (New)
The Adventures of Tintin
Rick Steve's Europe
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Movies:
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
Office Space
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Fight Club
No Country for Old Men
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Royal Tennenbaums
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ocean's Eleven
Saving Private Ryan
Lord of the Rings: Original Trilogy
Star Wars: Episodes IX, X, XI
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey
Bernie
Meet the Parents
Tintin
To Kill a Mockingbird
This Is the End
21 Jump Street
22 Jump Street
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Darjeeling Express

If you have suggestions for the network (not programming), please let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Re: Online TV Network

It's an incredibly difficult market to get in, the only way it would be feasible, without backing from investors or if your family has a load of money you would not be able to afford to license costs for any of those programs, would be to do it illegally which can get you put away for quite a while now since countries are starting to crack down on piracy. As for the live streaming market, Twitch and YouTube Gaming dominate that market (specifically Twitch) - the same goes for the video-on-demand market; Netflix & Amazon Prime (not so much) dominate it.

Just thought you might want to be aware of that.

Reaction score
yeah, you're trying to barge in on a niche market whom already is dominated by Twitch with Google gaming on the way. Plus, there are a lot of licenses and other fees that are required. Bandwidth is not cheap either and of course encoding / decoding all the content on the fly is going to be expensive. Hope you got a few mill spare.

Ask me about Daoism
Reaction score
I meant this as an amateur pirate project, but you guys are probably right. The uplink speed isn't so much of a concern for me, though.

And is this market really dominated by game streaming? I'm considering a "non-demand" streaming service for entertainment that's not dedicated to gaming.

Back