Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Documentaries

Reaction score
Anyone here a fan of documentaries? It's one of my favorite genre of film. Documentaries serve an important rule in teaching almost anyone about a certain topic, but I feel documentaries strive in teaching the youth about important and controversial ideas.

If you have any good ones to suggest for myself and others, list them below.

Personal favorites (in no particular order):

-
A documentary on peer-to-peer bullying in schools across America.

-
This documentary follows the lives and careers of a collective group of Do-it-yourself artists and designers who inadvertently affected the art world.- Freakonomics

-
The story of how an eccentric French shop keeper and amateur film maker attempted to locate and befriend Banksy, only to have the artist turn the camera back on its owner.

-
The history of the U.S. National Parks system, including the initial ideas which led to the world's first national parks and the expansion of the system over 150 years.

-
A documentary on Al Gore's campaign to make the issue of global warming a recognized problem worldwide.

-
A look at tightrope walker Philippe Petit's daring, but illegal, high-wire routine performed between New York City's World Trade Center's twin towers in 1974, what some consider, "the artistic crime of the century.

All available on Netflix Instant the last time I checked.

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
I've found the following very interesting:

A documentary that follows the journeys of indie game developers as they create games and release those works, and themselves, to the world.

Bloomberg Game Changers profiles Mark Zuckerberg the creator of Facebook. It looks at his early life, his time at Harvard, and the controversy over the creation and expansion of Facebook. It looks at how the company quickly expanded into the most successful social networking site on the Internet.

A conversation with Steve Jobs as he was running NeXT, the company he had founded after leaving Apple.

Evan Davis decodes the formula that took Apple from suburban garage to global supremacy.

Sorry about them all relating to technology - I found them all interesting, so I thought you might enjoy them.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the very title of "Steve Jobs: Billion Dollar Hippy". Woz' may be a bit of a hippy, but Jobs never was. Even Torvalds is more New Age than S.J. ever was. He got a little Xen / er towards the end, but that's a different thing entirely.

Actually, I kinda feel like the entire movement is very "Jobsian". XD Which is to say that he was more influential upon them, than they upon him.

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
I disagree with the very title of "Steve Jobs: Billion Dollar Hippy". Woz' may be a bit of a hippy, but Jobs never was. Even Torvalds is more New Age than S.J. ever was. He got a little Xen / er towards the end, but that's a different thing entirely.

Actually, I kinda feel like the entire movement is very "Jobsian". XD Which is to say that he was more influential upon them, than they upon him.

They most likely called him a 'Hippy' due to the amount of marijuana he smoked, and because he tried LSD? I'm not sure.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
They most likely called him a 'Hippy' due to the amount of marijuana he smoked, and because he tried LSD?
I am depressed by this definition of every teenager during the late '60s early '70s as being a "hippy". XD I hear he made good friends with . How could he not have tried LSD? XD There was a recent survey here which suggested that one in 3 adults regularly smoke cannabis, and less than 1 in 5 have not smoked it at some time. That's recently, and all adults, not just teenagers in the late '60s.

Maybe they call him a hippy because he wore sandals and flares and grew a beard? has always had a beard and wore flares at that time. It was fashionable. As fashionable as Marijuana and LSD.

Hence, that kind of pigeon-holing gives me no confidence in the journalistic integrity of said documentary. Just in the title alone. :(

! Now there's a hippy. XD

Reactions: Jax
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Cheers, Cam & Jaxter! A big fan of documentaries. :thumbup:

Back