Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Film] The Fault in our Stars

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I rarely post in this section - but my passion for films must come over here sometimes. Today, 19/06/2014, I watched John Green's 'The Fault in our Stars' in film version.. and I would rate this 8/10, maybe a 9 if I was feeling generous.

The overall concept followed the same lines as the book, just with a few scenes cut, and some dialogue newly added or some removed. The opening scene was exceptional in the portrayal of how the book contrasted normal teenagers lives to a 'cancer kid'.

The lead actors, Shailene Woodly (as Hazel Grace Lancaster) and Ansel Elgort as Augustus Waters), were incredibly good at demonstrating their characters and because of their in-ability to act badly, gave the film a huge emotion thriller, so for acting, I would rate 10/10.

One bad point, is the Cliche Teen Flick it was starting to lean towards at the end with a predictable outcome, but not much the director(s) could do as they had to follow the structure of the story line, yet still they could have done a better job.

I would definitely recommend this film to anyone whom has or hasn't read the book.. But I suggest you read the book to understand certain elements of the film!

Any thoughts on this, I would love to hear them,
Cheers,
~ Jamie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Re: The Fault in our Stars

I saw my friend reading the book literally 2 days ago and she told me all about it and it sounds so amazing and such a moving storyline. Prefer films to books so I can not wait to watch this.

You should post more in this section :)

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Rea the book a few weeks ago in about a day. Being a young adult book, it was pretty much popcorn reading; you didnt really have to work very hard to finish the story, and the language was fairly simplistic throughout. I really enjoyed it for a quick read, but as noted by the OP, it is pretty cliche near the end.

I plan on watching the movie this weekend; I am just hoping it is comparible to the novel.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Rea the book a few weeks ago in about a day. Being a young adult book, it was pretty much popcorn reading; you didnt really have to work very hard to finish the story, and the language was fairly simplistic throughout. I really enjoyed it for a quick read, but as noted by the OP, it is pretty cliche near the end.

I plan on watching the movie this weekend; I am just hoping it is comparible to the novel.

The movie is nothing compared to the book.
Tons of different

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score

I saw my friend reading the book literally 2 days ago and she told me all about it and it sounds so amazing and such a moving storyline. Prefer films to books so I can not wait to watch this.

You should post more in this section :)

You won't be disappointed with the film then! A great watch - and I plan to. :)

It is very comparible to the book, just with some scenes removed/shortened. If you think the book was cliche.. Wait till you see the film. Nevertheless, a great watch.

Reaction score

After hearing quite greatly about this by a friend, I decided to watch the trailer of this film. In honesty, this film is one of them that I throw over my shoulder because I just simply hate this kind of story lines. It just seems like this film is just only targeted towards the younger and more feminine side. I probably won't be ever watching the full movie in the cinema, or even on DVD upon release.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cliches. I read the book. Hoping to catch the movie soon.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've talked a lot of poop on how cliche it probably is, and how cheesy it may be, but I'd probably bawl my eyes out in theaters if I saw it.
You are 100% correct. It is a cliche but then the book is a cliche in itself. Changing the film into a 'non-cliche' film would cause "poop to hit the fan" in terms of the film not being the same as the book. Yet cliches in films = bad mistake.

But yeah, it's a decent film and you'd most likely ball your eyes out. :p

Back