Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[FILM] Shawshank Redemption - it's good, but is it that good?

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's been almost 2 decades since Shawshank has been at the top of imdb with 9.3. I've seen it and I do say that it's that good, but what makes it good enough to be at the top for so long? Sure enough, other movies have been made that are better than it.

IMDb -
Rotten Tomatoes -

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lol, I feel any prison break movies are good :p
e.g Alcatraz ( not sure of the title )

This is a great movie. I had good time watching it.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This film is a legendary epic classic....think I got them all...it's really in a league of it's own thats why I believe it will remain on top. I think it's kind of how Pulp Fiction slapped the world in the face....just of a different genre.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's up there with my favourite films for sure. It's well filmed, has a well written story, there's top acting. Sure there are better films in terms of action, or more impressive effects, but I don't feel there are many films that are good all the way through.

What do you think is better?
Now that I think about it, most of the movies I've seen pale in comparison to Shawshank.

I guess Shawshank is top of it's class.

This film is a legendary epic classic....think I got them all...it's really in a league of it's own thats why I believe it will remain on top. I think it's kind of how Pulp Fiction slapped the world in the face....just of a different genre.
I absolutely love Tarantino's films! Django Unchained was filmed brilliantly as well.

Reaction score
Shawshank Redemption is still on top of the charts after all these years for many reasons. It is very simply put, a masterpiece of a film. The overlaying story is extremely well written. The actors, extremely talented and you sort of fall in love with the characters. The character progression is so in-depth. The atmosphere among everything else is just flawless.

I find that, when you're watching a truly good movie, and I mean truly very good. You have a sort of emotional response to what happens to the characters. You genuinely care for the duration of the movie. I recall when I first watched Shawshank Redemption many years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie all the way to the end, and the ending was very emotional for me. I almost shed a tear. Thats when you know you've watched a great movie. When its characters and their story evoke an emotional response within you, and thats what Shawshank does. It is nothing more, and nothing less, than a complete masterpiece. I will always adore this movie and share it with those who have not seen it. :)

Back