Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Best Horror Movie?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I did some searching and (surprisingly) couldn't find a thread like this so I decided to make this. I am in search for some amazing horror movies for me and my girlfriend to have a movie marathon with so I wanted to know your guys favorite horror movies (or just any great horror movies you've seen) and why(without giving too much story away!)

Jax

C# Programmer
Reaction score
Here's a list of some I enjoyed. (You may of watched some though)

- Nightmare On Elm Street
- Friday The 13th
- The Ring
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Chernobyl Diaries
- Pet Sematary 1 and 2. (Yes 'Sematary' is normally written as: Cemetery, but the film title is infact 'Sematary')
- IT (Also written by Stephen King)
- The Shining (Also written by Stephen King, lol. One of my all time favorites)
- Joy Ride

Hopefully that list is good enough. Sorry about listing so many. :p:

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
The Ring is definitely the scariest imo, but it's probably because I first watched in when I was so young. The first Paranormal Activity gave me nightmares but the others are trash.

Reaction score
Just saw the new and loved it. Everything about it was awesome - being that it was a cliche teenagers-go-to-woods-and-poop-happens type of horror movie. Only reason I decided to pay money to go see it was that it was a remake of the original and I'm guessing it was part of the same . If you've never seen any of the original films, I suggest you include those in your movie marathon. In fact, I highly recommend them. The first one, The Evil Dead, was meant to be a serious horror film for the time, but it turned into more of a cult film, because of how awesome it was. The films that followed, The Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, followed the first film's cult adoration. Army of Darkness is such a hilarious kickass movie, it's definitely one of my favorite horror movies. So... my recommendation is to start with the trilogy first, and then take your woman to the theater to see the new one. The new one is an overall great horror film. Sub-par acting (come on, it's a Ducking horror film, the acting is never Oscar-worthy), but great visuals and surprise moments. It's one of the first films in a long time that has actually scared me at the theater, and that's saying a lot.

However, for more classic movies, or recent movies, I've compiled a list for you:

• The Strangers: all time, one of my favorite horror films. I saw this in the theater and I don't think I've ever been on the edge of my seat out of fear more than I have watching this film. Excellent film overall, even good acting for the most part.
  • The Shining: if you haven't seen it, see it. It's on all of the lists for top horror movies of all time, and on most lists for best movies of all time. Jack Nicholson is undeniably insanely horrific in this film. It's a Stephen King based horror film, directed by the one and only Stanley Kubrick. It literally does not get better for a horror film. So many plot twists and underlying messages in this film. I recommend paying great attention to detail while watching this one.
  • Friday the 13th: One of my favorite horror films. Summer camp horror. I'm assuming you've seen at least one of the Jason movies in your time. If not this one, go rent it or download it, now.
  • The Blair Witch Project: this film took the audiences by storm. Probably one of the first horror films that used the point-of-view camcorder perspective to create a mood that sucks the viewer into the movie. Everyone thought this film was real footage, of real crazy poop happening to real people. Nobody wanted to take their hands from their eyes from the theater during this film. It may be before your time, or just during, either way, go watch it!
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street: Freddy Krueger is probably my favorite killer in these type of movies. Jason, Michael Myers, and the rest of 'em have absolutely nothing on Krueger. The Elm Street films did something that not many horror movies were doing at the time. They played on something very real: dreams. Everyone has to sleep, and most people dream. What's scarier than watching a movie that deals with a third-degreed-burned man with scissor blades as fingers invading your dreams, trapping you in them, and then killing the duck out of you and all your friends, and THEN having to go to sleep later that night? Nothing, that's what.
  • Rosemary's Baby: not much to say about this one. A classic horror film. Hitchcock-inspired. Look more up about it if you want to. I suggest watching it without any previous knowledge.
  • Psycho: another classic. If you haven't seen Hitchcock's Psycho, then ignore the movies I've previously listed, and get this one. This film changed movie-making forever, especially horror films. I've done numerous essays and presentations on Hitchock and his style, and what he's done to filmmaking as a whole, especially the horror genre. Hitchcock played greatly on suspense and visual imagery to creep the duck out of the audience. His use of shadows, music, and dialogue brought together many horrifying and incredible films, one of my favorites being Psycho. After watching this one, you'll never look at a motel the same again. After watching this, start watching A&E's new television show "Bates Motel." It's based off the story of Psycho, and is surprisingly good so far. But seriously, go watch this Ducking movie.
  • The Exorcist: probably on the top of ALL "best horror movie" lists ever. Not much to say about it. Probably the first "possession/exorcist" movie ever, and it's the best out of all of 'em. There's about 2 or 3 that get released yearly, and this one will top them all. No one has done it better. The visual imagery, story, acting, dialogue - everything - is damn near perfect in this film. I couldn't sleep the same way for at least a year after watching this film.

For the movies that I've listed that aren't from this century, take them with a grain of salt. Do not laugh at the cheesy make-up, action scenes, acting. Don't laugh. Just because it's not as spectacular in eyes compared to today's standard doesn't make them not good. They were spectacular in the eyes of many way back when, and they should be viewed the same now. They didn't have access to the technology we have now. They made do with what they had, which wasn't much, but still did a goddamn Ducking good job at it. I hate when people laugh at the older films because they don't have CGI at every corner. They are classics, respect them.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
These movies have done it for me :
Semum (2008)
The Eye (2008)
Ju - On ( Japanese version of the grudge) (2002)
Shutter (2004)
Give it a try...

Aww, you looking here? <3
Loyal Member
Reaction score
OT, but when was the last time we had an 'iconic' horror character?

e.g. - Chucky, IT, Alien(s), Predator, Freddy Kruger, Jason, etc. ?

All horror films now are just bloody ghosts or zombies.. -.-;

I MISS YOU STAN!!! :(

Last edited:
Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well im not horror fanatic or something like that but i think drag me to hell is already the best scary and horror movie i've watched :3

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah drag me to hell is good.. watch mirrors too and inception

Reaction score
Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2... They are classic. 2 of the best horror movies ever made imo, i think there is a third one coming out soon.. I can't wait to make love to the hole in the disk when it comes out and i get it.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of todays "Scary movies" But here is my list:

4) The Amityville Horror
3) The Ring (Due to me watching this as a child, The "Snow" screen on tv's still give me a chill)
2) The House of 1000 Corpses
1) The Exorcist

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of todays "Scary movies" But here is my list:

4) The Amityville Horror
3) The Ring (Due to me watching this as a child, The "Snow" screen on tv's still give me a chill)
2) The House of 1000 Corpses
1) The Exorcist

"Snow" is that a drama series?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Haha no, It must me a canadian thing. We call that thing where a tv is like this:

Osiphen - Best Horror Movie? - RaGEZONE Forums

"Snow"

Back