Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] 4K Textures onto the eclipse. Is it worth it?

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
Soo since i am back working around texture heavy overalls for WarZ.. i was wondering and decided to test, how a big difference will make a newly baked 4K texture ( and i don't mean 2K x 2K resized into 4K, but a fresh made 4K texture )

My first point of testing was the M4 i am working on for past days ( which work on i showed over the ragezone ). The original textures were baked and generated in 2K res.
5Jru9lJ - [Discussion] 4K Textures onto the eclipse. Is it worth it? - RaGEZONE Forums

It doesn't look bad.. but still doesn't look as good as i wished them to be. Thats why i decided to get a 4K bake of a same texture i was working on, the results are :
smKTZfI - [Discussion] 4K Textures onto the eclipse. Is it worth it? - RaGEZONE Forums

Good? Bad? Is it worth to place 4K into that engine? What is your opinion

ZKdjReK - [Discussion] 4K Textures onto the eclipse. Is it worth it? - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Imo the difference is not noticeable for the average player. And lets say you were to replace all the weapon textures with 4k's, wouldnt that hit the fps hard? There could be many factors that create the difference in your screen's, but I cant help but notice that the fps difference is there. As I said I know the fps isnt steady in the editor, but then again it would need to be tested large scale to see if it actually affects the end-user at all.

If not, why wouldnt you want better looking assets? ;)
On a serious note; No. Not worth.

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
Imo the difference is not noticeable for the average player. And lets say you were to replace all the weapon textures with 4k's, wouldnt that hit the fps hard? There could be many factors that create the difference in your screen's, but I cant help but notice that the fps difference is there. As I said I know the fps isnt steady in the editor, but then again it would need to be tested large scale to see if it actually affects the end-user at all.

If not, why wouldnt you want better looking assets? ;)
On a serious note; No. Not worth.

but pixels are making my eyes hurt! :D

☆Dying Dawn☆
Reaction score
nop until this engine get dx12 all the textures have to be under low resolution and low poly things At least you want all the players playing at low as 10fps :v the dx9 will work too much to read all render with this high texture/mesh things

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Na, not worth it.
like you all said, that would cause a lot of fps drops and no one would notice the difference

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
I've got the same problem haha
Just another thing we have to deal with

or... leave the texture as they are normaly, just use 4K on some "Special" things ? or guns only? literlay stuff that has such a small meshes that a game won't have a problem loading it?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
or... leave the texture as they are normaly, just use 4K on some "Special" things ? or guns only? literlay stuff that has such a small meshes that a game won't have a problem loading it?
That would be fine, can't see why it wouldn't. As for the project you're apart of now I don't see why at least your main guns can have 4k details or even textures. There will probably be a noticeable difference but then again what does -5 fps make. You should try - if not only to test the engines limits.

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
That would be fine, can't see why it wouldn't. As for the project you're apart of now I don't see why at least your main guns can have 4k details or even textures. There will probably be a noticeable difference but then again what does -5 fps make. You should try - if not only to test the engines limits.

well at this moment i even loaded a 8K texture for that model... a.. a 8k texture... xD will make a comparison soon

+ i don't really think that a 4k should always make such a huge mistake. Since the 4k i am using are compressed af -> 10MB for 1 texture in 4k? when same texture baked in 2k gives me 3MB ;s

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well at this moment i even loaded a 8K texture for that model... a.. a 8k texture... xD will make a comparison soon

+ i don't really think that a 4k should always make such a huge mistake. Since the 4k i am using are compressed af -> 10MB for 1 texture in 4k? when same texture baked in 2k gives me 3MB ;s
It would matter when you compare a group of 10-20 textured models with the same group just 4k textures. But if you actually see that they look cleaner in game I would +1 it even if I lose performance.

I don't really have enough knownledge to know all the downsides to this, but as we said; small scale is fine

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
It would matter when you compare a group of 10-20 textured models with the same group just 4k textures. But if you actually see that they look cleaner in game I would +1 it even if I lose performance.

I don't really have enough knownledge to know all the downsides to this, but as we said; small scale is fine

i guess getting a new coat of fresh paint into some items is my life goal dx

i think getting something like a original machete in 4k with stuff like engraves, etc etc could look sick

cuz honeslty, i wish to replace as much stuff as i can with free custom stuff i get rights to use, but some models in the game are really well made, but the coat this items / models were given, makes them look bad af.. i mean just a example.. mossin nagant looks.. just.. mehh...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i guess getting a new coat of fresh paint into some items is my life goal dx

i think getting something like a original machete in 4k with stuff like engraves, etc etc could look sick

cuz honeslty, i wish to replace as much stuff as i can with free custom stuff i get rights to use, but some models in the game are really well made, but the coat this items / models were given, makes them look bad af.. i mean just a example.. mossin nagant looks.. just.. mehh...
Even though I dont like the way Sergey and his crew did things I have to give them creds for how well they made some of these models. I wish they did put down as much as worn into the textures.

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
Tbh, u should stop with warz dipshit, get into making assets for unity/unreal and get $$$, instead wasting time for this literally complete trash engine.

honestly was thinking about that, sadly first need to get my new rig to be able to work like that... cmon working on a laptop with just 16gb of ram ( ddr3 ) and a SSHD instead of SSD makes everything much much slower... a bake of any model for me in 2k takes like 5-10 seconds.. tho 4k gets 1-2 minutes... a "experimental" 8k took me 15 minutes .. and these are just bakes...... getting a own model... well thats where the paint starting... my laptop can handle high-poly models, but getting a UV map... mehh thats a hell :/ getting a single uv map for my firing range models ( which are low poly af ) almost burned out my whole ram and cpu Dx

Also i have to focus on my college most of days ( and my work to pay for the college, soo still far away from getting better rig ) soo i guess...

RiP me?

Even though I dont like the way Sergey and his crew did things I have to give them creds for how well they made some of these models. I wish they did put down as much as worn into the textures.
the thing i always gonna comment on them from the design part..is why the duck they made separate TPS models and textures for guns, meds etc... why the duck they couldnt just hack a model to be both TPS and FPS... instead of using 2 models.. you are using 1 model.... instead of 2 materials, you are using 1.. and instead of 10-12 textures.. you are using 3-5 ( 6 at max with glow map )... what is the less space / memory eating?

Exacly

Last edited:
I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
Seems like. But u should do it step by step, comes time, comes money for a new awesome PC. :)

Also, get a SSD. Some SSD's with 250GB are around 50-70€, not the world overall. :)
i am trying to save money for ssd, but i need minium 512gb :/

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
better way use SSD just for windows and HDD for storage the things that is what i do

yea but i will need ssd not only for OS, also for 3dsmax, photoshop, gimp, blender, substance painter and marmoset. that gonna take much more space, also will have to storage all my workfiles on the SSD aswell etc

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
is why the duck they made separate TPS models and textures for guns, meds etc... why the duck they couldnt just hack a model to be both TPS and FPS... instead of using 2 models.. you are using 1 model.... instead of 2 materials, you are using 1.. and instead of 10-12 textures.. you are using 3-5 ( 6 at max with glow map )... what is the less space / memory eating?
its probably because they used war inc models. they should have used the same models and changed up the code to show attachments no matter what view. attm showing in tps, just like in fps. it would have been alot quicker than recreating models lol.. but i guess they must have had a reason to go through "all" this trouble.
imagine being the designers and having to duplicate it all, new textures, new mats, new model files... omg the hassle haha! obviously animations would be an issue when it comes to using the same models as fps and tps are different, but come on.. they should have found a way. some guns look good in tps but poop in fps and vice versa

Back