Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Fredaikis AB signal page Facebook other emu

Retired. Don't PM.
Developer
Reaction score
Building the core of a game takes much longer than the features and gameplay... have u tried making a game in Unity or Unreal without any starter project before?

Yes, I have. I have shipped two console games before.

The whole point of using an engine like Unreal or Unity is so you skip the 'core' aspects like networking, rendering pipeline, etc.

If you consider the 'core' aspects to be game design ideas, you're wrong. You don't start off in the games industry as an 'idea man'. Most people start out as either customer service or some sort of code/art internship/volunteer work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I have. I have shipped two console games before.

The whole point of using an engine like Unreal or Unity is so you skip the 'core' aspects like networking, rendering pipeline, etc.

If you consider the 'core' aspects to be game design ideas, you're wrong. You don't start off in the games industry as an 'idea man'. Most people start out as either customer service or some sort of code/art internship/volunteer work.

Core features, core functions as in the barebones basics of what you need for a game to even begin functioning... ideas don't really come into the picture until you have a solid base down.

What games did you ship?

Retired. Don't PM.
Developer
Reaction score
Core features, core functions as in the barebones basics of what you need for a game to even begin functioning... ideas don't really come into the picture until you have a solid base down.

What games did you ship?

Two Unreal Engine games on modern consoles on both platforms.

You don't need a solid 'base' if you don't even know what that solid 'base' is. Sure, in a MMO sense, you need a server framework, a database engine, and in today's world those are trivial to make, especially now with solutions like Node.JS, JSON, WebSockets, and free database engines like Postgres available for server software.

Beyond that, you need artists, animators, and programmers. 'base' is too broad of a word and no single person can typically cover everything on a project, unless you want to make 2D/3D pixel art games.

Either way, that's typically a team of 2-5 core people. There's a ton of people on RaGEZONE, you can easily take 5 of them with different talents and make your own game.

Reaction score
Two Unreal Engine games on modern consoles on both platforms.

You don't need a solid 'base' if you don't even know what that solid 'base' is. Sure, in a MMO sense, you need a server framework, a database engine, and in today's world those are trivial to make, especially now with solutions like Node.JS, JSON, WebSockets, and free database engines like Postgres available for server software.

Beyond that, you need artists, animators, and programmers. 'base' is too broad of a word and no single person can typically cover everything on a project, unless you want to make 2D/3D pixel art games.

Either way, that's typically a team of 2-5 core people. There's a ton of people on RaGEZONE, you can easily take 5 of them with different talents and make your own game.

its a subject I'm quite interested in and have been pursuing in my spare time for a while now, I've made some simple things in unreal and Cryengine but nothing spectacular.

i found it hardest to start, but once I had a flow it became easier. It would be a lot better indeed to create a new game in a better engine, but it's hard to turn away from an already somewhat complete game (warz). Either way, this is a good starting point for those wanting to get involved with game development.

i appreciate your post, it's good.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
its a subject I'm quite interested in and have been pursuing in my spare time for a while now, I've made some simple things in unreal and Cryengine but nothing spectacular.

i found it hardest to start, but once I had a flow it became easier. It would be a lot better indeed to create a new game in a better engine, but it's hard to turn away from an already somewhat complete game (warz). Either way, this is a good starting point for those wanting to get involved with game development.

i appreciate your post, it's good.

Yup, exactly. I have worked in unity, and have some knowledge of it, and it would be intresting to make a warz like game in a better engine etc.
Specially theres is so many good engine and tools , you could make a half complete game without any programming ( I think :p) like Stingray with its tools, lumberyard, unity, ue, cryengine, etc... And yeah its hard to move away from a game thats already complete and you have the full source and stuff , but who knows maybe later :D.

BTW, @SecretsOThePast do you/could you read your PM's on RZ?

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sorry Fred, I own as much as you do.

Back