Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion/Question] Permissons on private servers/Games made with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,

So here's the thing, I was wondering what my "permissions" are with this engine. So let's say I completely change the engine to the point that you can't even recognize it, then I put the game on Steam Greenlight, or made a Steam concept for it. What is the worst that could happen? As far as I know you can only get it trouble if you start selling it because you don't have permission to sell this (Maybe if you can get special permission from Hammerpoint, then yes you can). So what do you guys know/think?

Thanks,

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You're best bet is to get licensing for it.

I think I will acctually try to do this in the near future.
Thanks man.

The question is.....Is it even possible to ask for a license from HP? I know it won't be easy, and might even cost alot, but we will do it anyway.

Reaction score
If you changed everything, except code, there is hope. But otherwise, you'll get sued by hp. If hammerpoint discovers that you use their engine (For example through reverse engineering, they could get in alot of trouble too, because it's forbidden to do so.) otherwise you're probably getting sued.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
So what do you guys suggest I do with THIS engine? Should I really try and contact HP when we have made HUGE changes, or should I just go ahead and hope no one notices? xD

BTW, I really don't mind releasing the game/server on RageZone only, let this be like training so that I could make games in Unity and so on in the near future.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Alright, here's what we are planning: We will work on it, put it on RageZone, and try to get it licensed. If we succeed then that would be awesome. If we don't then we'll just work on this as some kind of "Training" for game developing and stuff. And when we raise enough money (If we do) we will move onto a better engine.

Thanks for everyone who replied

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
So what do you guys suggest I do with THIS engine? Should I really try and contact HP when we have made HUGE changes, or should I just go ahead and hope no one notices? xD

well done do developers Rise Of Badlands. Now some parts their code use Aftermath.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Can you be a bit more clear?

Developers rise of badlans wrote on his blog:
My name is Mark and I'm one of the developers working on Rise of the Badlands. We're a small international dev team ( namely Germans, Russians, Americans ) who previously worked on rather big titles such as Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Crysis franchise and God of War.

We came together while working on a non commercial mod of the WarZ/Infestation: Survivor Stories. We wanted to explore the possibility to turn the WarZ game into something completely different - a huge open world shooter with real time day night cycle, and never-ending battles for territorial control.

We created a small prototype and then tried to reach out to OP Productions LLC - the publisher of the WarZ in order to get their approval to release this mod for free. Soon we found that OP Productions doesn't own the technology or the engine and we had to talk to Arktos Entertainment - the creators of the engine. We did and soon enough we got a proposal from them to turn our mod into a standalone title. We negotiated terms that gave us full creative control and we went to work.

We want to say thank you to all guys at OP Productions LLC, to the awesome Artemis Knives and to the great tech team at Arktos for helping us to get where we're right now!

The game will be published under a new brand - Free Reign Entertainment which is basically a collective brand for three indie teams who are working on three completely different projects. I can't tell you about them for now unfortunately.

they initially changed the engine, created the mod for WarZ and in the end got right to publish game.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
That's awesome! I really believe that me and my DEV team have hope :p

We created a small prototype and then tried to reach out to OP Productions LLC - the publisher of the WarZ in order to get their approval to release this mod for free. Soon we found that OP Productions doesn't own the technology or the engine and we had to talk to Arktos Entertainment - the creators of the engine. We did and soon enough we got a proposal from them to turn our mod into a standalone title. We negotiated terms that gave us full creative control and we went to work.

But how exactly can I contact Arktos Entertainment?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks! and also:
It's right there on their page! Now I REALLY have hope :D

Thanks Nikita505 for helping me find this!
Thank you everybody!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I agree with GigaToni on this one. If you really want to make a good game, don't make an emulator with everything changed. Its a whole lotta work, for an engine with holes everywhere. Should take maybe the idea, and spend some time working in example unreal, and make a game people will actually buy and play :D.

I know its for fun / passtime but if you ditch this poop engine, and work withsomething new, you could actually make something worth while.

Either way, good luck :D If you do try to licence this engine, I hope they dont try to sue you.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Either way, good luck :D
Thanks!
If you do try to licence this engine, I hope they dont try to sue you.
Woah! I can get sued just for TRYING to get it licensed? then how did Rise Of The Badlands get theirs licensed?

I know its for fun / passtime but if you ditch this poop engine, and work with something new, you could actually make something worth while.
Well, this isn't really for fun, but more as a "prototype public test", so see if I can actually handle MMOs. And also as a way to raise some money for a big project in Unity/Unreal/Whatever...

make a game people will actually buy and play :D
I see what you mean, but we are trying to make it feel and look different than WarZ, so there would be no reason for people to be like "Oh, it's based off of WarZ, then it sucks blablabla..."

And like I said above, we are doing this as a type of "Interactive Fundraiser" or a "Simulation" of MMO development and management....not sure if you guys get what I mean :p

Anyway, thanks everybody!

Reaction score
They cannot sue you for trying to get a lic. But they can sue you for your private server. How did FreeReign get their License? It's pretty easy: They're Arktos just with another name. Arktos / HP has couple of companies over the past, they went from:
Arktos -> Hammerpoint -> FreeReign (I'm sure I forgot some)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
How did FreeReign get their License? It's pretty easy: They're Arktos just with another name
That's very suspicious, on Arktos' website it says we can contact them for more info on the engine:

The powerhouse behind many Arktos Entertainment Group Projects is the Eclipse Engine. Void Production has developed and is upgrading and refining this awesome online game engine which has already been licensed by several game companies to push their games and visions to reality. For more information please contact us.
From the "Bussiness" section of the website.

Also, I know this may be offtopic, but where am I allowed to live stream private servers/emulators/whateveryoucallthem? I know you can get banned if you stream on Twitch.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
They never read or answer any mail on this site. We are try a lot of time with hunz devs. I think the best way just leave this shity engine and make similar game. The best engine for the similar game is cryengine. Yes i know is a lot of work but if u have modeller and know what to do you can sell it on steam etc. Better then make this crap with other engine. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back