Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[OffTopic] Anybody uses Git / Subversion? If not, why?

Do you use a versioning system? If not why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
If you're working on a team it's always better to use some kind of versioning system. Because you edit a file that another developer is currently editing, and then one of your changes need to be discarded / merged manually.

Or heck even a local versioning system can save your butt if you do changes which don't work and you want to revert.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you're working on a team it's always better to use some kind of versioning system. Because you edit a file that another developer is currently editing, and then one of your changes need to be discarded / merged manually.

Or heck even a local versioning system can save your butt if you do changes which don't work and you want to revert.
Yes, my team use an SVN so that we all have the latest server files so that we don't have to use mega on everything

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
My team and I use a SVN.

We stay updated on every little touch and nobody gets confused. Its one of the most efficient ways to control the work flow. We also use another system for our community to "Public Test" our feature before putting it on the "Live Line" Which folllows under the Live server.

We have 3 Systems.
Dev Server- Staff only, We update the community with every little update to see everyone's view on it. SVN used
Public Test Servers- Here, we push a fully developed feature out. See everyones view again. if everyone likes it. It gets pushed to the Live Line for everyone.
(Public test server is optional to help us develop the game. You can stay on Live Line but you can not s which back on Live Line and Public test. Because on Public test. You get everything you want to test the feature. )
Live Line-The Main server. Main area for income and profit.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I code by myself, but still coded my own GIT (idk if i can call it like that rofl) trough FTP, creating different versions, and with 1 click, all changes i did in my pc are uploaded to the ftp server and/or our server files, or to another "branch".

If anyone wonders, i just made multidimensional vectors (with file paths) pretty much :) (oh yeah, i use CrC and date to know the file version.)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I code by myself, but still coded my own GIT (idk if i can call it like that rofl) trough FTP, creating different versions, and with 1 click, all changes i did in my pc are uploaded to the ftp server and/or our server files, or to another "branch".

If anyone wonders, i just made multidimensional vectors (with file paths) pretty much :) (oh yeah, i use CrC and date to know the file version.)

Im pretty sure, new guys have no idea wtf you just said. :lol:

I use to use crc during the first month of SalvationMMO. But we (as said before.) use SVN with a password of 150 chars. But that doesnt stop hackers from invading our data files...sadly.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Im pretty sure, new guys have no idea wtf you just said. :lol:

I use to use crc during the first month of SalvationMMO. But we (as said before.) use SVN with a password of 150 chars. But that doesnt stop hackers from invading our data files...sadly.

Just make your own, sync with FTP servers. Make sure Ftp servers are both Password and IP locked.
And with remote desktop set up a 3 way security. Password, ip, and VPN, they would have to spoof your IP, hack your VPN password and Hack your remote desktop details to be able to get in your server.

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend FTP.. Because it's unsecure. (File Transfer Protocol.) Either FTPS (File Transfer Protocol over SSL) or if you want more control: SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) with SFTP you can setup key authorization. So you'll need a key to connect to it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah but if you ip whitelist shouldnt be a problem. Plus its not open, i have to be in vpn for it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back