Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Amazing Space Shuttle Engine Facts!

Slothstronaut
Reaction score
Hello fellow RaGEZONErs! Today I present to you, a thread with some amazing facts and information about the Space Shuttle, that I spent the last hour or so looking up to present to you, for your amazement, as-well as mine! I hope you enjoy :D:

===============================================

Specific Impulse (Basically, how long/well the rocket operates):
~7 1/2 Minutes

Top Speed (In atmosphere): ~3,000 MPH (Mach 4+, or 4 x the speed of sound!)

Top Speed (In vacuum): ~17,000 MPH (Mach 20+, or 20 x the speed of sound!)

Thrust: <1,200,000 Pounds (Greater than 1.2 Million pounds)

Horsepower (Thrust conversion): <37 Million (The average train has 6-7,000)

Combustion Chamber Temperature: ~6,000°F (The surface of the sun is ~10,000°F)

Combustion Chamber Pressure: ~3,000 PSI (Pounds per square inch)

Turbopump Shaft RPM (How fast the shaft spins per minute): ~37,000 RPM/616 RPS

Engine Nozzle Diameter: 8 ft. x 8 ft.

Engine Weight: 7,775 Pounds

Engine Height: 14 ft.

Fuel Capacity: ~3.7 Million pounds

Fuel Type: Liquid Hydrogen as propellant as-well as coolant, and Liquid Oxygen

===============================================​

Some additional information/facts you may find interesting, is that the space shuttle main engine (SSME) has over 50,000 parts! The average vehicle has, according to a quick Google search, only around 2,000 parts! Also, the energy released by three SSME's is equivalent to the output of 13 Hoover Dams! Last but not least, the exhaust velocity of the SSME is around 4,440 m/s, or about 14,000 ft/second!

So there you have it, the Space Shuttle is truly an example of amazing human engineering and technology, and the information I listed is only on the 3 main engines, I didn't even include the Solid Rocket Booster (SRB's) or the Shuttle itself!

I hope you enjoyed, have a great day :)

Back